Ake - Man City £40 million?

Mings was sold so for me that meant Ake was staying this window, no matter what.

Liverpool overpaid for a defender in VVD because he was one of the last missing pieces in their jigsaw and he fit the hole so perfectly. However, the Maguire deal has now pushed the envelope for defenders because nobody could say they were anything close to the finished article, he's just a building block (or paving slab) in their plans and so the price envelope for defenders has now been pushed. Especially when you also factor in Championship defenders are now costing £15-25 million.

Even if we were looking to sell, I'd be hesitant to accept a bid for Ake at £60 million in the current market. It would need a slate of add-ons beyond that for me to start feeling comfortable. However, we won't be selling this window.

Just had a peek at the Ake thread on the Man City bluemoon forum and two things stood out.

1. Ake may be a target because he is homegrown. Their a CB light but can't go for their apparently preferred target because they don't have any foreign slots left. That's why they thought they would get Maguire but now that isn't possible anymore Ake is about the only potential option they can see. Unless they offload one of their first team foreign players.

2. Ake isn't the answer as they have a surfeit of left sided CD and are in desperate need of a second right sided CD for when Stones has his wobbly period. Somehow this feels eerily familiar!

Having said that lots of them think £40 million would be overpaying so I guess we should ignore everything else they've said!

..if Howe has any sense he sticks a 60 million price on him to focus the minds of anyone who wants to tempt him away..

How on earth is Maguire, who makes a cart horse look like a race horse, worth more than Ake.
...think that any british player has an inflated price due to the market for home grown talent being quite sparse?...I agree with Maguire being over rated and United have some previous with past signings like Jones and Smalling of ruining players reputations...I think Harry will be another flop at Old Tafford in the longer term...I know that they are hoping for the Van Dyk effect but I just can't see it!

Do will still have to give Chelski 20 million? If so stick a 70 mill price tag on him. According to the express man c an spuds looking at him.

They have a buyback option at fixed fees. They may also possibly get % of the profit from a sell-on clause, not sure if one was included, but if it was it won't be anything like that high.

Maybe £75m plus add-ons... and maybe aguero on loan for the season... what I am trying to say is "man city... fùçķ off!!!!" ,£40m, what a feckin joke.

Believe the buy back expired in January

That's good news if correct but even if it was still in place there's no scenario where we would have to pay Chelsea £20 million. Unless we sell Ake for about £120 million and they have a 20% clause.

;