Andoni Iraola

How it usually goes down;

Coach identifies what positions he wants strengthening and what attributes he wants his players to have.

Scouting/recruitment team use this information as well as the finances to come up with a list of players that fit the criteria.

Coach then picks his choices in order.

Recruitment team then go out and try to secure deals working their way down the list once they hit a brick wall.

This is one way it works. A more traditional way. But not the only way in modern day football.

Now it’s a director of football who has his list of players in each position and a list of head coaches who all fit the same philosophy.

This is why you see the likes of Jefferson Lerma moving to Crystal Palace without a manager in place.

According to reports Iraola only wanted a one year contract but the club insisted on two years. Make no mistake - he sees us as a stepping stone into the upper reaches of the PL, so this is not going to be a long term project even if he is successful. Like Brighton we will need a de Zerbi lined up, when the time comes. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the ride!
If this is the case, then I hope the club are already earmarking several candidates now that can succeed Iraola...

If I'm honest, when I heard this deal was done I was pretty underwhelmed, but the more I see of and read about him, the more I think this could be a good move... Yes, I feel for GON and the circumstances but he can leave head held high and nothing but positives on his CV.

I actually would have liked GON to have stepped down and worked under Iraola as coach...But that would have never happened for someone that clearly now has his eyes on a managerial career...

Last edited:
Only problem with that is Dom has no physical presence. Goes down far to easily.for a big lad and doesn't challenge it he air. I think he suffers from FOGSI. ( fear of getting stuck in)
Disagree. Dom often presses and is a pain in the **************** to play against. He's one of our most hardworking players. He's just wasteful with his chances, but he has no problem getting stuck in.

It does depend on what he considers “unnecessary”.

Under Parker all the short passes were necessary, as we would play it back to Kelly or Phillips to “reset”, the other players would all drop back into their “reset” positions and the play would start again. It was very well drilled. Albeit predictable by its very nature.

From the short clip of him, he doesn’t appear to have this drilled, micro managed style. So there’s definitely going to be a culture change.

So players have more freedom to do things their own way and mix things up a bit?

This is one way it works. A more traditional way. But not the only way in modern day football.

Now it’s a director of football who has his list of players in each position and a list of head coaches who all fit the same philosophy.

This is why you see the likes of Jefferson Lerma moving to Crystal Palace without a manager in place.
This is also correct. However, as far as I'm aware, we do not have a director of football like Damien Comolli was at Liverpool. When you have a manager with a certain style, the director of football role is pretty much unworkable. I suspect GON had some,but little input into the January deals. However, I do not expect that to be the case with someone that supposedly has his own style and identity. Otherwise, it defies the point of appointing him in the first place

Iraola has joined us after managing three clubs in a row which didn’t have a pot to p!ss in between them. If there is one thing he is demonstrably good at, it is working with what he has.

Any manager/head coach has to be able to work with what they’ve got.

Especially these days when 3 years is seen as a long term appointment.

They simply don’t have the time to build their own squad of players these days, so they have to be flexible enough in their approach so that their philosophy works with the players they have at their disposal.

For example, you don’t decide to play route one football, hitting direct balls to the number 10 for knock downs and hold up play if you dont have a “Fletch” and you only have Mark Stein and Warren Feeney.

I think it is a bold move from our owners and a statement of intent to move the club forward….it’s a risk but they are backing it with their money!… no room for sentiment in PL now…
Gary can go with his stock still high rather than being rolled out in November with AFCB in the bottom three?
Funny how pundits turn on us for wanting to improve and change the landscape…
Good luck to GON but it is the right decision IMO…even if it doesn’t work this time around..

Disagree. Dom often presses and is a pain in the **************** to play against. He's one of our most hardworking players. He's just wasteful with his chances, but he has no problem getting stuck in.
Disagree. Tends to go over too easily which we saw too much last season. His heavy touch and lack of close control allows opposing players to close him down quickly and instead of battling to retain the ball he tends to flop over and wave his arms at referees. He also has no strength in the air and often doesn't attempt to challenge opposing CB's in the air. When he does its often half arsed. No question he's hard working as most of the time can be found in every position on the pitch with the exception of the area in front of the opponents goal.

Disagree. Tends to go over too easily which we saw too much last season. His heavy touch and lack of close control allows opposing players to close him down quickly and instead of battling to retain the ball he tends to flop over and wave his arms at referees. He also has no strength in the air and often doesn't attempt to challenge opposing CB's in the air. When he does its often half arsed. No question he's hard working as most of the time can be found in every position on the pitch with the exception of the area in front of the opponents goal.

I hope whoever we get in to replace him is fit to wear the shirt... its been years since we had a striker that you were happy with.

;