Andoni Iraola

Thought I would share this from the Sky Sports preview pre-Wolves:

“Bournemouth have had the most passes completed between the lines against them this season, which suggests their press isn't working as effectively as it should.”

To be fair we have played a good number of the stronger teams, and this is just one metric, but the it seems to me the players either aren't able to understand what AI wants of them (and what AI was known for when coming into the role) of or aren’t capable. Either way it’s the same outcome.

On the related Lerma topic I think he is a miss, however had he still been with us, I don’t think things would have been much different from what we have seen so far. For me his “cult hero” status exceeded what he did on the pitch - perhaps an unpopular opinion.

The Burnley game has to yield 3 points now else I fear for AI.

UTCIAD

“Bournemouth have had the most passes completed between the lines against them this season, which suggests their press isn't working as effectively as it should.”

To be fair we have played a good number of the stronger teams, and this is just one metric, but the it seems to me the players either aren't able to understand what AI wants of them (and what AI was known for when coming into the role) of or aren’t capable. Either way it’s the same outcome.

On the related Lerma topic I think he is a miss, however had he still been with us, I don’t think things would have been much different from what we have seen so far. For me his “cult hero” status exceeded what he did on the pitch - perhaps an unpopular opinion.

UTCIAD

UTCIAD
It was the unseen stuff with Lerma. People make out his fans think of him as another Bellingham, we don’t. He was limited a a few areas. What he did though was cover ground brilliantly and recover quicker than the opposition when they broke and those toe ins in ‘them moments’ prevented a lot of damage.

He’d have been a perfect player for this system ironically as it’s a risky system that needs pace at CDM and CB

Watching Cook chasing Wolves when they broke and the gaps he left yesterday was a light year apart. Which is why he didn’t start as much as Jeff last season.

It was the unseen stuff with Lerma. People make out his fans think of him as another Bellingham, we don’t. He was limited a a few areas. What he did though was cover ground brilliantly and recover quicker than the opposition when they broke and those toe ins in ‘them moments’ prevented a lot of damage.

He’d have been a perfect player for this system ironically as it’s a risky system that needs pace at CDM and CB

Watching Cook chasing Wolves when they broke and the gaps he left yesterday was a light year apart. Which is why he didn’t start as much as Jeff last season.
Well no worries...he won't be starting the next 3 games .. ;)

Yep, and players like Lerma impose themselves on the opposition as a result... they know he's there or lurking which can have subtle effect on opposition players. It can unsettle them slightly/mentally... particularly highly skillful, talented players who may sometimes be softer mentally. Helps dilute their impact, potentially, rather than almost have free reign.

Even if more limited, knowing theres a fairly aggressive playing darting around, breathing (biting?) down your neck is useful thing to have... and most sides have it. Not sure we have this season, with Adams out.

Last edited:
Kelly’s frustration was pretty obvious too.
As a Cherries supporter since the mid 1960’s who has never seen a home Premier League match I can only go on brief highlights on Sky and the excellent Radio Solent commentaries. We’ve had some great goalkeepers over the decades - my earliest memories were of Roger Jones and David Best, moving on through Gerry Payton to Aaron Ramsdale, our current guardian is definitely the worst I’ve seen. He even makes Jimmy Glass look good!
Previous management managed to knock the confidence of Mark Travers. I was dismayed that he has gone on loan to Stoke where he appears to be performing well. We need to get him back or give Radu a run in the team (not Randoph for god’s sake) as Neto’s mistakes are becoming costly and our defence clearly lacks confidence in him. Goalkeeper captains rarely work unless they are exceptional players and Neto doesn’t fall into that category.

All fair points. The way I see AI’s system is it would need prime Kante to succeed right now. We are way too easy to play through and the CDM is exposed with multiple runners.

Lerma would have covered the ground better for sure, but still wouldn’t be enough given how exposed we are.

All fair points. The way I see AI’s system is it would need prime Kante to succeed right now. We are way too easy to play through and the CDM is exposed with multiple runners.

Lerma would have covered the ground better for sure, but still wouldn’t be enough given how exposed we are.
Look off the ball is where Lerma was at his best . On the ball quite limited .
It’s more than a lerma we lack, and don’t think the defenders ie the back 4 is the biggest issue.
We are alwaysgoing to concede but attacking wise we are so blunt it is untrue .
What game this season have we dominated and deserved to fully win ? I don’t think any.

The table doesn’t lie .the 2 worst teams so far this season is us and a sheff Utd team that got smashed by 8 at home to Newcastle .

Yeah, this. It’s not like I think Lerma would solve our problems but we give up so much space in the midfield so often right now, that a competent DM is even more important. It’s not really solving the problem that too often we have about 5 opposition players just strolling nearly all the way to our box, but it might give us more cover/a chance.

It's only 8 years and he might have been to plenty of away games.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t quizzing the poster, I’m not about to ask him his favourite cheese or what minute and second did Tokelo Rantie score away at Burnley.

I was just curious if it was the usual complaint t’was all.

Kelly’s frustration was pretty obvious too.
As a Cherries supporter since the mid 1960’s who has never seen a home Premier League match I can only go on brief highlights on Sky and the excellent Radio Solent commentaries. We’ve had some great goalkeepers over the decades - my earliest memories were of Roger Jones and David Best, moving on through Gerry Payton to Aaron Ramsdale, our current guardian is definitely the worst I’ve seen. He even makes Jimmy Glass look good!
Previous management managed to knock the confidence of Mark Travers. I was dismayed that he has gone on loan to Stoke where he appears to be performing well. We need to get him back or give Radu a run in the team (not Randoph for god’s sake) as Neto’s mistakes are becoming costly and our defence clearly lacks confidence in him. Goalkeeper captains rarely work unless they are exceptional players and Neto doesn’t fall into that category.
Welcome to the forum! A great post.

One thing GON did was get the players to believe and created a very effective siege mentality to grind out some great results. He is understated but fiercely determined to succeed behind the quiet exterior. Not sure Iraola has that in his locker which is what you need in a relegation scrap and your backs against the wall - he may come good eventually but not sure he’ll get the time it may take.

One thing GON did was get the players to believe and created a very effective siege mentality to grind out some great results. He is understated but fiercely determined to succeed behind the quiet exterior. Not sure Iraola has that in his locker which is what you need in a relegation scrap and your backs against the wall - he may come good eventually but not sure he’ll get the time it may take.
If you want someone to keep us up in a relegation scrap (and that’s what we are in) then GON is better than AI. Thought that at the time we changed managers as AI is so inexperienced at this level.

If you want to attract top young talent and develop a team into a front foot side as part of the long term strategy that the owner wants, then I think you look beyond GON. AI was an easier sell to players (including getting existing players to re-sign contracts) but you have to give him time.

As you say, the cut throat nature of the prem means time is not always given. Personally, think it’s too soon to change the manager but after Sheffield United away it’s time to re-assess.

If you want someone to keep us up in a relegation scrap (and that’s what we are in) then GON is better than AI. Thought that at the time we changed managers as AI is so inexperienced at this level.

If you want to attract top young talent and develop a team into a front foot side as part of the long term strategy that the owner wants, then I think you look beyond GON. AI was an easier sell to players (including getting existing players to re-sign contracts) but you have to give him time.

As you say, the cut throat nature of the prem means time is not always given. Personally, think it’s too soon to change the manager but after Sheffield United away it’s time to re-assess.

I’d go along with that.
Although right now I’m still leaning towards giving him the full season and just letting it play out.
I don’t see any other options, the limitations we have in central midfield is going to see any manager work with one hand tied behind his back.

I’d go along with that.
Although right now I’m still leaning towards giving him the full season and just letting it play out.
I don’t see any other options, the limitations we have in central midfield is going to see any manager work with one hand tied behind his back.
Completely agree - it's all well and good demanding AI goes but I haven't yet seen anyone credible mentioned on this forum that I could imagine would be a better idea than the one we originally had when we appointed him.

Lerma was an absolute beast for us. I cannot understand those who thought he was overrated. As you say it was all the unseen stuff, the covering, the up and down the pitch, the blocking off of opponents as they are trying to break. I really don't think Wolves would have scored that first one with him playing. There have been a few others this season where players have just skipped through our midfield at will. Lerma would not have allowed that. We knew last xmas time he would be leaving and we are suffering because we failed to replace him.

;