Andoni Iraola

It feels like a lot of our acquisitions have been with one eyes on the future and I kind of like it.
Thats all well and good and i do agree that the majority will bear fruit, but where will be be when that happens if its the championship i cant see Kerkez, Zabarnyi, etc etc playing there

We are short in midfield & Traore doesnt even make it on the bench, he needs to go in Jan & free up a squad place for a proper DCM

Dango is so raw he is a 8/10 or a -8/10 there is nothing in the middle we cant have that variance & its more of the lower end recently

We need something from the multitude of wingers we have Tav seems to be 1st pick currently then after that it could be any of the other 5 or 6 that get picked, with all these new players how do they build relationships with no consistency of selection?

Seems to be the modern way but we dont often seem to see 2 strikers even when we do Dom drops deep, never big diagonal to Kieffer flick on with 2nd forward & wingers trying to get in behind.

Anyway slight rant over.

It's going to be low .. as I think it's between nk more than 5 clubs already.. are we better than 3 ?! Surely !!.
I may be mad but I still think that we should be absolutely fine this season.

We just need a shift in attitude. Once the players finally understand that we need to be more aggressive and gung-ho ( and that this is what the boss actually WANTS ) we'll surely have added goals coming in from the wingers and midfield, as players start feeling able to just "have a dip" and see what occurs.

We have some very fast and very skilful players in the squad and with the right mentality and approach we should be far too good to be in serious trouble of relegation this season.

The right mentality has to be set soon though, not much more time to lose. Time to reset and just go for it !
:utc:

It feels like a lot of our acquisitions have been with one eyes on the future and I kind of like it.

Indeed. Our signings - including signing injured players - don't suggest the expectation of instant success, but a long-term project. It would be strange to expect different of the manager.

This is a fair point.

Do you think there’s any chance, or any point at all in potentially looking into using Kilkenny in these upcoming games?

Younger and quicker than Cook, but obviously not ready really. But what else can we do? Senesi there?
Kilkenny always seemed to get caught on the ball in front of his own defence, so unless he has improved a lot I can't see him being the answer.

Mel Machin is only two years older than Roy Hodgson...
(Anyone got his phone number?)

Do we have someone our manager can talk to? Not Guardiola or Arteta, but a Mel Machin type figure. (Not Harry Redknapp)

This is a fair point.

Do you think there’s any chance, or any point at all in potentially looking into using Kilkenny in these upcoming games?

Younger and quicker than Cook, but obviously not ready really. But what else can we do? Senesi there?
I wouldn't mind Kilkenny there at all....if we have one midfielder that can hit diagonal balls in that quarterback role it's him....wasn't that supposed to be a key feature of Iraola's game plan?.

Mel Machin is only two years older than Roy Hodgson...
(Anyone got his phone number?)

Do we have someone our manager can talk to? Not Guardiola or Arteta, but a Mel Machin type figure. (Not Harry Redknapp)
I met Machin and John Williams once and recommend a non league player I thought we should sign. He said he knew all about him and he would never make a pro. I offered to pay his wages for the first year and Mel said you’ll definitely waste your money…..
Wade Elliott had a reasonable career I’d say.

This is going to be a strange season anyway......I don't know what the lowest points total required to stay up record is but I think it will beaten this season .......
WBA stayed up with 34 points in the 2004-05 season with Palace and Norwich going down with 33 points and Scum bottom with 32 points.

Indeed mate. Particularly when you consider AI doesn't have PL experience. It's not unusual for a manager to bring in at least 3 or 4 of his own people. To my knowledge the only person we've heard about is his assistant and the Cirque de Soleil bloke (who I doubt has any input on the tactics, skills side of things lol).

Parker brought in 3 and has vast English game background... GON brought in the man from Liverpool.

AI doesn;t even have his assistant, only the likes of Cooper, Elphick and although we don't know how adept they are, have raised question marks as to if they possess the calibre or experience to operate at this level.

It is perhaps a cause for concern given everything about the current setup and AI's background. Perhaps AI has this amazing synergy with Cooper/Elphick and its like a match made in heaven, but I don't think its unjust for people to feel its a cause for concern here. Seems a bit too tinpot, Conference like almost... I'd have expected a new manager from overseas at a PL club to have wheeled in 3 or 4 of his own back room staff tbh.

we will never know, but was he told to work with the back room staff already here by Hugh and Blake? i hate to say it but it starting to look like to many jobs for the boys

It was the unseen stuff with Lerma. People make out his fans think of him as another Bellingham, we don’t. He was limited a a few areas. What he did though was cover ground brilliantly and recover quicker than the opposition when they broke and those toe ins in ‘them moments’ prevented a lot of damage.

He’d have been a perfect player for this system ironically as it’s a risky system that needs pace at CDM and CB

Watching Cook chasing Wolves when they broke and the gaps he left yesterday was a light year apart. Which is why he didn’t start as much as Jeff last season.
in the first half cook was trying to chase one of there players back towards our goal after the broke out and he just gave up, maybe the reason second half he got his marching orders, was getting frustrated not having people to help him out

Completely agree - it's all well and good demanding AI goes but I haven't yet seen anyone credible mentioned on this forum that I could imagine would be a better idea than the one we originally had when we appointed him.
all I’m thinking if he went hughs and Blake would just use another one the coaches we have already

A lot of what you say makes sense. I wouldn't write Brooksy off yet, though. I think he's making pretty good progress. Agree that Kerkez and Aarons have generally been positive signings, hopefully Scott will turn out to be one too. Neto seems away with the fairies. He needs to be given space to sort out his head, so I think Radu/Randolph need to come in. As for not wanting to play for us, I haven't noticed that. One thing I will say about Cook is he looked devastated to be sent off. That's passion even if he hasn't been playing well at the moment. Agree with you about the seemingly wasted signings.
On the Neto thing, did he not lose him mum or dad

Tricky one for Bill though. I think it's a bit simplistic to heap all of the blame on Hughes, the guy is obviously a good manager and on paper it looked like a good appointment, ultimately though Hughes has to be held accountable for what seems an awful decision. He can't be allowed to select a replacement after such a failure.

Foley does have some good football contacts that are independent to Hughes. The Roma and Villa owners who he's said he speaks to.
Bit I don’t get is why have none of his own coaches arrived with him, I know people are saying work permits problems, but not even getting anything in the press

I’m on the fence.
Won’t mind he stays.
Wouldn’t complain if he goes……As long as we have replacement lined up, not one of our inexperienced coaches.
Yeah, I know it worked once before!!
But that is what would happen, we would just get one from in house

;