Asmir Begovic

I was surprised he didn't start after Chelsea,he played one of his best games for us in that game.
I think Begovic has become complacent,it's human nature to be that way after so many starts,so yes I think he needed a rest.
As said above ,why is it such a big thing if a keeper is dropped?
For what it's worth I think Begovic has kept us in some games this season,but standards have definitely dropped recently.

Oddly, as I was watching the last COWS training video, there was a segment where they were showing the goalies training. The ball kept coming at Begovic and he seemed happy to first parry the ball down into the ground and then in a second motion somehow smother the ball at the second time of asking. I saw him do this for three shots or so in a row and recall screaming at the monitor „just for once hold onto the ball at the first time of asking“. I‘ve witnessed quite a few games in recent times where Bego has sort of flapped and parried shots, just like in the video, only in the games more often than not the opposition got to the second ball before he did. He does seem to have got into a bit of a habit of palming the ball down into the ground or just away somewhere, rather than catching the ball cleanly ( or even trying to, by the looks of it ). Watching that video made me think that this is his preferred method of saving shots but it just looked like pretty poor handling to me. Maybe I‘m being overly harsh but it did seem as if he was preferring to parry then smother, rather than trying to catch the ball cleanly. Don‘t think they showed Boruc in the video but maybe he did a better job with those sorts of shots ?

I think that was Eddie's polite way of saying he dropped Berko
Possibly and boruc wouldn’t play if begovic on form of course but also think boruc has been praised a lot for his role behind the scenes. Sends the right message that no player is above being dropped

I voted yes and it was hard to do as my kids are half Bosnian. Think the change was good for both keepers and it will all sort itself out.

Yes Boruc was much better at getting the ball moving ...Begovic can be very frustrating in this respect and take far too long to move the ball in. Cook suggested in his interview he liked Borucs distribution today.

Yes Boruc was much better at getting the ball moving ...Begovic can be very frustrating in this respect and take far too long to move the ball in. Cook suggested in his interview he liked Borucs distribution today.

The same was said for Begovic when he first came in.

It almost feels to me like there's a pay structure at AFCB so that you get an appearance bonus and a clean sheet bonus because it feels like when a 'keeper change takes place distribution is pretty pacey but the longer a 'keeper in incumbent the more cautious the distribution becomes.

Once your getting the appearance bonus every week you want to cling on to the clean sheet.

Not saying that it's the case but it matches the behaviour I've observed.

...think its up to Eddie and Jason to make any squad rotation calls, Bego may have just needed some pressure lifted off his shoulders after some recent rather harsh criticism?

Good management if you ask me, as Artur also needs some opportunities too, as he he rarely lets us down and is proving to be a good pro. Not many teams boast two International keepers in their squads (unless it is the top sides.

The same was said for Begovic when he first came in.

It almost feels to me like there's a pay structure at AFCB so that you get an appearance bonus and a clean sheet bonus because it feels like when a 'keeper change takes place distribution is pretty pacey but the longer a 'keeper in incumbent the more cautious the distribution becomes.

Once your getting the appearance bonus every week you want to cling on to the clean sheet.

Not saying that it's the case but it matches the behaviour I've observed.
What??

Surely every keeper wants to keep a clean sheet whatever the pay structure. And I imagine that's how most clubs reward their defensive players.

I thought at Everton AB did alright, then came for a cross that he couldn't reach. Small margins.

Good to have two keepers of quality though.

I think watching it back that Boruc helped cause Carroll’s miss. He came flying across like the nutter he is and Carroll was forced to lift the ball hurriedly. I think Begovic sometimes gives up on those ‘lost causes’.

Another important stat is that Begovic "saves to shot" ratio which I understand was 53% was the lowest for a goalie in the Premier this season. Boruc is not the answer to Begovic. We should give getting in a loan goalkeeper a priority. Maybe look at Ramsdale in the close season to see if he is ready..

Shot stopping he's already ready. Positioning you can't really rush, it's that difference between wisdom and knowledge

Interesting to note that Eddie said post match it was more of a reflection of how Boruc has done in training rather than Begovic not performing in matches. Had no problems with it at all and competition can only be seen as a good thing!

Think the shirt is Boruc's though for the next few games and hopefully we can get a steady starting 11 for the next month or so, certainly the back 5 anyway.

Thought Saturday, bar Lewis Cook, we had all our players fit therfore our strongest team available?

Interesting to note that Eddie said post match it was more of a reflection of how Boruc has done in training rather than Begovic not performing in matches. Had no problems with it at all and competition can only be seen as a good thing!

Think the shirt is Boruc's though for the next few games and hopefully we can get a steady starting 11 for the next month or so, certainly the back 5 anyway.

Thought Saturday, bar Lewis Cook, we had all our players fit therfore our strongest team available?

Simon Francis?

Think it was definitely time to give Boruc a chance. Begovic has been OK but not exactly thrilling of late.
Also of note is the fact that it's easy to focus only on a goalie's save stats, but in reality they are just another player on the team. You have to look at their ability to win the ball, make passes, challenges, etc.
For example, if Boruc challenged Carroll more aggressively than Begovic would have (for the sake of argument), and made him miss, then that is a huge benefit to the team.
Likewise distribution (speed and accuracy) and so on.
So in the end, I'm saying let's give Boruc a run and see what he can do.

Think it was definitely time to give Boruc a chance. Begovic has been OK but not exactly thrilling of late.
Also of note is the fact that it's easy to focus only on a goalie's save stats, but in reality they are just another player on the team. You have to look at their ability to win the ball, make passes, challenges, etc.
For example, if Boruc challenged Carroll more aggressively than Begovic would have (for the sake of argument), and made him miss, then that is a huge benefit to the team.
Likewise distribution (speed and accuracy) and so on.
So in the end, I'm saying let's give Boruc a run and see what he can do.

That's why it's good to have competition between the keepers.
We can assume it's only a matter of time before Boruc has a bad game, makes a major gaffe or whatever. Then, in all probability, Begovic will be straight back in and then once again highly motivated to stay in. In the meantime Boruc is highly motivated NOT to make the mistakes which could see him dropped and let Begovic back in. :)

As you say, since Begovic has been just about ok but not outstanding, the shots to goals conceded stats have been pretty appalling AND Boruc was apparently impressive in training, it seems justified that Artur now gets this opportunity.

;