Barnsley v AFC Bournemouth

Prediction of how the game will pan out-
-we will try to play ‘our football’
-Barnsley will press us high
-consequently our centre back will pass it to our full backs where the only space is, our full backs will either lump it hopefully up the line (Smith and Rico) or attempt to dribble out past about three players (Kelly)
-either way we will end up losing the ball
-Barnsley will capitalise on this, driving at us and through our midfield with pace and intensity, and our incompetent defenders will f**k up in one way or another, probably by failing to mark an opposition player in the box.
-we will concede a couple and late on in the game Barnsley will sit back, we’ll dominate the last quarter (because they let us) and then try to pass it off as simply ‘not starting games well enough.’
-afterwards our management and players will say it’s not good enough and we need to respond.

On the other hand I hope I’m wrong and we smash them 3-0

Really lack some bite without Jeff in the middle.

Cant play Gosling and Billing from the get go.

So its Cook, and or Billing and Gosling.

I'd start Gosling over Billing, but then we lack height in the middle.

This game will be won or lost from the midfield battle.

Really lack some bite without Jeff in the middle.

Cant play Gosling and Billing from the get go.

So its Cook, and or Billing and Gosling.

I'd start Gosling over Billing, but then we lack height in the middle.

This game will be won or lost from the midfield battle.
if the game will be won or lost from the midfield battle why can't we play cook, gosling and billing in the middle? Just asking?

I just dont think Gosling and Billing can start together.

Gosling and Billing both started woefully together last start before Preston.

I'd chuck Anthony in and then maybe replace with Gosling or Billing if things aren't going so well.

It seems a recurring theme over the years.Bad performance one week only to be told "we have to learn from this game" "We will put in a much better performance next match"
Problem being is they don't step up.
How often over the past years have we said "do your talking on the pitch not in the(usually Bournemouth Echo") press/media.

yeah its the usual stock cliche every other side trots out after a bad defeat or run.

gets a bit embarrassing after a while.

Kelly edges it for me.
Anthony deserves a start.
Ofoborh in.
Josh because January is fast approaching.

vs Barnsley.jpg

From reading this when Barnsley play at home, 45% of the time they attack down the right hand side.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/142/Statistics/England-Barnsley

When he was appointed as Barnsley manager in November, Gerhard Struber was a relative unknown to the typical English football fan, but the Austrian had begun to make a name for himself in Europe with his high intensity philosophy and his success at Wolfsberger AC. When he was appointed, Barnsley were rock bottom of the Championship and were without a win in sixteen, and so the aim was very much to fight against relegation.

Barnsley managed to stay up by one point, albeit with some help from point deductions, but the more interesting topic is the manner in which they played in order to stay up. Struber implemented his high pressing, vertical football almost immediately, and Barnsley finished the season with the most defensive duels in the league, most interceptions, most tackles and the second highest PPDA in the Championship. He also achieved all of this with the youngest squad in the league, with Barnsley’s average age being 22.7.

This analysis will therefore focus on the defensive system which has been implemented since his arrival and will break down the principles and ideas behind their pressing system.

General structure and principles

From analysing footage of their matches this season, the most visible principles in Barnsley’s pressing seem to be:

• Constant pressure on the ball carrier
  • Force the opposition backwards while pressing
  • Protect the central areas and show the opposition wide
  • Encourage the opposition to play out
  • Cut off one side of the pitch using diagonal runs where possible
These are the general principles of Barnsley’s pressing, and so regardless of the structure of the side, these principles are always seen. Barnsley’s pressing structure this seen has mainly fluctuated between the 4-diamond-2 and a 3-4-1-2, with the latter becoming more prevalent post corona break.

https://spielverlagerung.com/2020/08/31/gerhard-strubers-intense-pressing-system-at-barnsley/

Last edited:
I’m not sure you accommodate Surridge into his best position all because he was good for 45 minutes, but displace Solanke who has been player of the season to date in the same role.

I’d back Solanke to offer more to the team as a 9 than Surridge, so leave him on the bench as an impact sub.

It's a fair argument but equally you risk demotivating some of those on the bench if they feel their path is completely blocked. It's a hard call to make but I think I'd give Surridge the chance. With luck it's the springboard to a purple patch of form and if Dom can keep up his level but in an adjusted position then we're in a good place up front. If it doesn't work, it's an easy swap out to make at half time.

About 90 minutes to kick- off. and the temperature in Barnsley -3 and dropping...
...so its about Who is up for it to keep warm !
This game is about More than the differences between Brooksy and their weakest player....their manager has warned his players about the need to 'step up'. Eek! That's after they won away last time out!

Its also Zero about how ' up ourselves ' we are about our squad and our prestigious perch.

Oooeer matron...I don't like this!....
...but I have to go for 2-1 in our favour !

Surridge and Gosling have to be in there for me ...for this one at least.

Prediction of how the game will pan out-
-we will try to play ‘our football’
-Barnsley will press us high
-consequently our centre back will pass it to our full backs where the only space is, our full backs will either lump it hopefully up the line (Smith and Rico) or attempt to dribble out past about three players (Kelly)
-either way we will end up losing the ball
-Barnsley will capitalise on this, driving at us and through our midfield with pace and intensity, and our incompetent defenders will f**k up in one way or another, probably by failing to mark an opposition player in the box.
-we will concede a couple and late on in the game Barnsley will sit back, we’ll dominate the last quarter (because they let us) and then try to pass it off as simply ‘not starting games well enough.’
-afterwards our management and players will say it’s not good enough and we need to respond.

On the other hand I hope I’m wrong and we smash them 3-0
Trying to have it both ways.

A cold winters evening in Barnsley doesn't exactly scream pretty football, and we don't have Jeff's battling, so that has to be a concern.

---------Begovic
Smith Mepham Cook Kelly
------Gosling L.Cook
----------Brooks
Solanke Surridge Danjuma

Would like to see Brooks central and more involved. I think it's been too easy for teams to nullify him out wide in the last couple of games, and it forces him to come central looking for the ball anyway. So why not start him there?

Stan to offer a boost off the bench, I worry about burning him out. Or he can start instead of Danjuma if Danjuma isn't fit.

Only a few minutes until the teams are released but that'd be my stab at it.

Sam Surridge starts for Bournemouth at Barnsley Cherries Begovic, Mepham, S.Cook, Kelly, Smith, Brooks, L.Cook, Billing, Rico, Surridge, solanke

Three at the back, two up front. Recipe for a lack of service to the front two. :shrug:

We’ll probably score a hat full. :ROFLMAO:

Three at the back, two up front. Recipe for a lack of service to the front two. :shrug:

We’ll probably score a hat full. :ROFLMAO:
Looks like a very similar line up and shape to the Coventry game. That was probably our best away performance this year so I can understand why JT has gone back to it.

;