Benfica Friendly Sunday

Missed part of the first half, but our defending overall (particularly 2nd half) was pretty good. They had no good chances in the second half anyway.
Also interesting was the change of formation. It seemed to me that it was 4-3-3 in the first half.
2nd half opened up with 4-4-2, then 5-3-2 with Stacey and Zemura as wingbacks.

Is there any need for that comment right now? He’s made mistakes in the past for sure but today he played a part in a back three that didn’t give Benfica a sniff. Slightly odd comment.

As was my Cargill comment 5 years ago

Reasonable 90 overall. Much better with Kilkenny on, though he played in L Cook's deep position. I prefer him more advanced - Billing played that role this evening and was patchy. Give Kilkenny a try further forward.

Actually thought that was fairly encouraging, considering the quality Benfica had on the pitch. Thought that most of our younger players didn’t look out of their depth. Kilkenny especially looked quite classy and I thought was more impressive than L Cook tbh. Danjuma our star man, looked on a different level. Thought we looked more solid with a three at the back. Also, Travers is quite clearly an upgrade on Begovic. Foolish of me to draw conclusions based on a friendly really but really not too disheartened by what I just watched.

Really promising in the second half. It was a bit annoying that JT played my two least favorite formations, 4-4-2 and 5-3-2. Anthony looked really good, Zemura had a few good ideas and I thought Kilkenny was quiet but in my opinion he is good enough for the bench at least. Billing had some bright moments to be honest. Danjuma was an absolute monster in the first half an hour, looked top quality.

;