Brad Smith

Joking aside (which I was) nobody on here ever takes money off the price we get for our players which means I presume it’s only us that do staggered deals. We don’t question the 12m we got for Afobe and the 8m we got for Grabban. They become ‘great deals’ with the case paid straight into the bank. Our deals though are a fraction of what the media quote with lots of add ons.

While we are talking about biased views....

Neil you also said on that backofthenet youtube channel that we're the same size club as Rochdale and Exeter so I'm afraid I don't consider you credible anymore. You write reports ok but your knowledge on general football matters is not great. Curbishley managed West Ham after he left Charlton and you think Ainsworth is a good choice for new manager.

Club size : Reality is we are slightly bigger than Exeter.. but slightly smaller than Plymouth...and miles smaller than Pompey.
There is no shame in that...its how it is.
However we should always Strive to be as big as Barcelona !

I would personally like to thank Brad for all his efforts for AFCB over the past 3 years, and place on record my thanks for Liverpool for letting us have him.

such a strange one, was really excited when we signed him. Never got a run in the team that I can remember so would have been difficult for him. But yes a complete waster of money by all accounts.

Club size : Reality is we are slightly bigger than Exeter.. but slightly smaller than Plymouth...and miles smaller than Pompey.
There is no shame in that...its how it is.
However we should always Strive to be as big as Barcelona !
I totally agree Brian, there are no apologies for trying to be as successful as you can be even though you don't have the facilities. I see this with the academy and it really annoys me just because we are Cat 3.

In regards to Brad Smith i do feel slightly guilty as i remember walking back to my seat after going to the toilet during a game and accidentally kicked his out stretched foot. He never made another appearance :innocent:

I don't want to get too caught up in this but scroll to the last page here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...ion_id=alle&altersklasse=&leihe=&w_s=&zuab=zu

It's a list of every PL signing made that season. If it's accurate then he's the joint cheapest player signed for money by any PL team that year.

Look at the other names on that final page. A couple of standouts but mostly players who made little or no impact at PL level.

They were all punts. Punts costing millions of course but in PL financial terms still punts. You don't expect them all to come good. You sign a few and if one hits then 'Bingo!'.

If they don't they get quietly moved on when you can. Which may mean letting them see out their contract.

There are deals to beat the recruitment team over the head with. Brad Smith isn't one of them.

I don't want to get too caught up in this but scroll to the last page here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...ion_id=alle&altersklasse=&leihe=&w_s=&zuab=zu

It's a list of every PL signing made that season. If it's accurate then he's the joint cheapest player signed for money by any PL team that year.

Look at the other names on that final page. A couple of standouts but mostly players who made little or no impact at PL level.

They were all punts. Punts costing millions of course but in PL financial terms still punts. You don't expect them all to come good. You sign a few and if one hits then 'Bingo!'.

If they don't they get quietly moved on when you can. Which may mean letting them see out their contract.

There are deals to beat the recruitment team over the head with. Brad Smith isn't one of them.

Interesting stuff. I just picked one out at random, a centre forward called Borja Baston, signed by Swansea for about £16m. Over four years he appeared 38 times and scored 7 goals. He was sent on loan for two of those seasons, and in his last went to Villa on a free in Jan 2020, six months before the expiry of his contract. Villa released him in June 2020.

Imagine what Neil would have made of that signing....;)

personally I think Brad Smith was a signing that was made just incase were were relegated as at that point Charlie daniels was playing very good football and would of possibly had offers for had we gone down in the 16/17 season which was when smith was signed? so 3 million for a back up player is well worth the money

If any player with any £ Million tag..cannot impose himself on a manager for selection then that is a p*ss poor performance as a man.. so basically the guy is a waste of space.. coming from Liverpewl too ...you would thought he had something ' about him' ...I mean f√ck me was EH that hard a nut to crack ?.. for crying out loud he wasn't 'kin God !

personally I think Brad Smith was a signing that was made just incase were were relegated as at that point Charlie daniels was playing very good football and would of possibly had offers for had we gone down in the 16/17 season which was when smith was signed? so 3 million for a back up player is well worth the money

Charlie Daniels stepped up his game when we signed Mings and again when we signed Smith. It's too simplistic to suggest it was a waste of money because the effect the competition had on Daniels was worth its weight in gold.

Brad Smith better value for money than Ibe. How will Solanke compare at the end of next season I wonder?

Hopefully we'll not buy anymore 'bargains' from Liverpool again.

Neil you also said on that backofthenet youtube channel that we're the same size club as Rochdale and Exeter so I'm afraid I don't consider you credible anymore. You write reports ok but your knowledge on general football matters is not great. Curbishley managed West Ham after he left Charlton and you think Ainsworth is a good choice for new manager.

When Eddie took us over we had a three sided ground with 3000 fans in it. That’s smaller than Exeter and Rochdale. We were not the Huddersfield or Swansea that some journalists think we are. I stand by that.

I think we need a big personality and change of direction and I like Ainsworth. That’s a personal opinion.

Id forgot, speaking live, that Curbishley had a stint at the happy hammers. My point though was more he never came back and achived what he had done at Charlton before standing down and has had long periods on the sofa

When Eddie took us over we had a three sided ground with 3000 fans in it. That’s smaller than Exeter and Rochdale. We were not the Huddersfield or Swansea that some journalists think we are. I stand by that.

Not wanting to pick on you again Neil (would I?) but this is pretty much wrong on every point.

WE haven't had average gates in the 3,000 somethings since 1986 (3,424), which was a low point for most clubs. Rochdale and Exeter had half our crowds then. In fact their all time average attendance is at least 2,000 lower than ours (3,500 in Rochdale case). Put another way our all time average attendance is a third higher than Exeter and double Rochdale's.

Swansea saw a big boost when they built their ground but in the 20 years prior to that their gates were very similar to ours.

Hudds the only one with constently higher gates although even then we've had seasons with higher gates.

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/englandcontent.htm

I think we need a big personality and change of direction and I like Ainsworth. That’s a personal opinion.

Id forgot, speaking live, that Curbishley had a stint at the happy hammers. My point though was more he never came back and achived what he had done at Charlton before standing down and has had long periods on the sofa

And before EH took us over we had 13k v Shewsbury in 95. Took 30k to Wembley in 98
You are quite frankly deluded if you think this club are the same size as Rochdale and to be honest we have more potential and population than Huddersfield but it's people like you who play the tinpot card and fans like you hold the club back by saying oh wasn't it great when we had 3k vs Morecambe on a tues night under Quinn in L2 with 3 stands. if you're going to be like that phuck off and while you're at it know your footballing facts whilst supporting a tinpot club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our attendances in the lower leagues since rebuilding the stadium are as follows:-

2003/04 6913 L1
2004/05 7124 L1
2005/06 6458 L1
2006/07 6028 L1
2007/08 5504 L1
2008/09 4931 L2
2009/10 5720 L2
2010/11 7103 L1
2011/12 5881 L1
2012/13 6852 L1

Lets be honest, these are a lot more than you thought aren’t they? Occasionally we have a season where fans get disheartened but they come back when the football is good.

The suggestion we would ‘go back’ to 5000 crowds in L1 is laughable because we never were at that level to begin with. To claim we ever got 3000 crowds in recent history is absolutely absurd!

And before EH took us over we had 13k v Shewsbury in 95.
You are quite frankly deluded if you think this club are the same size as Rochdale and to be honest we have more potential and population than Huddersfield but it's people like you who play the tinpot card and fans like you hold the club back by saying oh wasn't it great when we had 3k vs Morecambe on a tues night under Quinn in L2 with 3 stands. if you're going to be like that phuck off and while you're at it know your footballing facts whilst supporting a tinpot club.
Nice! I never said I long for those days... just saying pundits on Radio 5 saying sack Eddie still think we are a bigger club than we actually are. Catchment area never equals success by the way.

Nice! I never said I long for those days... just saying pundits on Radio 5 saying sack Eddie still think we are a bigger club than we actually are. Catchment area never equals success by the way.

We didn't sack him though did we. He left. No catchment doesn't always mean success like with Bristol clubs and Plymouth but it means there's more hope than alot of clubs out there who think they're bigger and to compare us to these small Manchester suburb teams who have reached they're ceiling is deluded. Brentford now have a bigger stadium than us doesn't mean they're a bigger club

The main playing of the Tinpot Card is the Town itself not fans....the town has always opposed having a large noisy football club attracting working class people...the Tory Town hierarchy would be more allied to rugby and cricket if you cared to research and analyse things. My father drummed that into my head... he picked that up from his father and grandfather who were at Castlemaine road in 1900...watching the first Cherries!
This is why no stadium has materialised...effing council people blocking out whatever gets on blueprints and always one step ahead. EH got wind of this a while back I imagine. Tory Poole is exactly the same..much of that population came from rural Dorset in the 1800s. ..more inclined to rugby ..farmers boys and all that...oh yeah this is all relevant...its the polar opposite of Burnley, Preston and Blackburn etc....the working classes of the industrial revolution ...their towns formed the original football league...working mans sport.
It will take very determined men of Great Money to swing Bournemouth to Football Town with big stadium.

Personally it's a sad day, as a Aussie fan, that's our last Aussie player gone. I think at one stage we had three (Brad, Feds and Jordon Holmes)

;