Brooksie To Liverpool ?

wonder if this type of signing, a young player with a potentially big sell on fee having had their talent given opportunities and developed, will dry up now eh has gone

wonder if this type of signing, a young player with a potentially big sell on fee having had their talent given opportunities and developed, will dry up now eh has gone
This has to be the model going forward. Without 30,000 crowds or an elite academy, our ability to compete at the top of the Championship long term is compromised.

We need to get better at identifying more talent like Brooks for resale value. Except it won’t be £11.5m signings from Championship clubs. It will be £2m signings from L1, L2 or the elephant in the room, overseas markets.

I wouldnt say that, all managers sign good young talent, unless they massively support the club they sign for then they will look at it as a stepping stone

I wouldnt say that, all managers sign good young talent, unless they massively support the club they sign for then they will look at it as a stepping stone

Yes but joining us was about Eddie Howe and his reputation for developing players be it, lower league journeymen into Premier League players, or picking up the scraps from top side youth academies like King (via Blackburn of course).

Now that draw has gone, they won’t be looking at a training ground of a couple of pitches fenced off from the prying eyes of dog walkers or the portakabin training rooms as much of a draw.

Last edited:
He was only ever going to be here 2/3 seasons.

Not sure if he would be a bench warmer? That would be down to him.

When he first joined us he was one of the very few, to force his way in from the start. Maybe he could step up again?

He has the potential, to go all the way in my opinion.

Much rather keep him but £35m is pretty decent value, in the current climate. I also thought he looked a bit disinterested in some of the last nine games?

Assuming King definitely, and Wilson almost certainly move on, then it becomes really interesting who comes onto our shopping list.

That would have to be the end of the outgoings for me.

I thought he looked like that too - though before the restart he said in an interview how he was looking forward to playing again and being the “ main man “

He certainly didn’t look like that ! Perhaps the realisation that the team were as shite after lockdown as they were before got to him ...

Yes but joining us was about Eddie Howe and his reputation for developing players be it, lower league journeymen into Premier League players, or picking up the scraps from top side youth academies like King.

Now that draw has gone, they won’t be looking at a training ground of a couple of pitches fenced off from the prying eyes of dog walkers or the portakabin training rooms as much of a draw.
that would work for the last couple of seasons but before that they were signed on a dream, now we are doing that again but as a side looking to get promoted so similar to signing players before we hit the top league

The core of investment strategy is to achieve the highest possible return on capital. It is not primarily about selling assets high. In fact, it is not about selling assets but rather more about how you invest your cash.

Example. You are a cab driver. You take in, before expenses, £500 a week. You pay your bills, give yourself some wages and keep a bit back to buy a new vehicle. You invest what you have saved on a nice second-hand motor for £5000. Just so happens that on the way out of the dealers, someone stops you in the street and offers you £6000 for the car. Great, that's a grand profit - a 20% windfall on your investment in just a few minutes. You take the cash. But, it takes you three weeks to find a suitable replacement for the £5000 car and you can't get a cover vehicle on loan in the meantime. You are actually £500 out of pocket on the deal.

Running a business is about both the profit and loss as well as the balance sheet.
Both need to be healthy.

Selling Brooks for 20, 30 or even 40 million smackers is only a good deal, IF we can get a replacement who is just as good for the team to be successful. The aim is to get one's nose back in the golden trough of the Premier League. Selling Brooks or Ramsdale or Kelly only makes sense if the money can be used to buy equal or better. If those three fetch, say, £60 million between them, but we don't get promotion, how much is the loss?

Do Brentford now regret selling Maupay to the seaweed and Mepham to us?

Selling Ake ought to be a great deal because we should use less than £41 million on replacements who may not be as good, but good enough as we are a division below.

It is now that the troika of Tindall, Hughes and Blake have to show their mettle. Because whoever we let go, there is an immediate need to acquire or develop players who can slot in to the team.

Last edited:
Thinking about some of the comments here and also on the Ramsdale rumours
We got around 15M for a winger who wanted to leave, we got 26M for a centre back we didn't even want. Maybe we should bear this in mind when we think about how much is really an "acceptable" offer. 35M is a lot, but the damage to our reputation and team morale by accepting such an offer is worth more than that. Plus he's unlikley to play, so if he realises that big club doesn't mean "woohoo", which hopefully he remembers from his Man City experience

What a great example...of a club failing to get promoted likely because of their transfer dealings.
Did they fail due to their transfer dealings?

Would they have signed 15 goal Mbeumo without selling Maupay? Would 25 goal Watkins even have played as a centre forward if they had kept Maupay.

Nothing can be proved either way

This has to be the model going forward. Without 30,000 crowds or an elite academy, our ability to compete at the top of the Championship long term is compromised.

We need to get better at identifying more talent like Brooks for resale value. Except it won’t be £11.5m signings from Championship clubs. It will be £2m signings from L1, L2 or the elephant in the room, overseas markets.

...and that is exactly what you need a £35m training complex for... to nurture academy players... I just hope Max believes that also and Jason continues to drive it home...

The core of investment strategy is to achieve the highest possible return on capital. It is not primarily about selling assets high. In fact, it is not about selling assets but rather more about how you invest your cash.

Selling Brooks for 20, 30 or even 40 million smackers is only a good deal, IF we can get a replacement who is just as good for the team to be successful. The aim is to get one's nose back in the golden trough of the Premier League. Selling Brooks or Ramsdale or Kelly only makes sense if the money can be used to buy equal or better. If those three fetch, say, £60 million between them, but we don't get promotion, how much is the loss?

Selling Ake ought to be a great deal because we should use less than £41 million on replacements who may not be as good, but good enough as we are a division below.

It is now that the troika of Tindall, Hughes and Blake have to show their mettle. Because whoever we let go, there is an immediate need to acquire or develop players who can slot in to the team.
Don't dispute the first para, I might have said "buy low/sell high" and the return on capital aligns.

Not sure what you are getting at in that with the Brooks example the replacement should be "just as good" while the Ake replacement just has to be "good enough".

In any event, the key item remains that identifying when a player is at their peak value to sell on is critical for a smaller club. We missed the boat, I think, with Callum and Josh, and maybe even a lesser luminary like L. Cook. However, trying to time the market on a regular basis is virtually impossible .... or we would have all sold our investments in late February and bought them back in early April.

...and that is exactly what you need a £35m training complex for... to nurture academy players... I just hope Max believes that also and Jason continues to drive it home...
I’m rather hoping that the club have used the change in manager to appoint someone to oversee the training ground with their own budget, leaving JT to concentrate on the team.

Anyone know?

I’m rather hoping that the club have used the change in manager to appoint someone to oversee the training ground with their own budget, leaving JT to concentrate on the team.

Anyone know?
do you mean eddie was controlling the training ground build?

What a great example...of a club failing to get promoted likely because of their transfer dealings.
What ridiculous statement. Came within an inch of promotion despite making a net profit of I believe 30m in transfer dealings last season. You honestly wouldn’t want our club to follow this model? Do you think had they made it that you would have agreed with me? I don’t get your attitude

;