Burnley v AFC Bournemouth - Final Game Of The Season

Burnley are a unique club - population is about 50,000 less than Poole ! It's in close proximity to Manchester and Liverpool. Actually won the old Div One in 1921 and 1959. Played in Europe Quarter Finals in 60 . Fa cup 1914. Been Champions of all the lower leagues. Beat us 7-0 in 65 cup. We best them 5-0 in league game once years later. Think this one could be 0-0 or 4-3 to us !

Last edited:
I agree.

10th would certainly paper over the cracks.

Given we took 6 points form Chelsea and Arsenal earlier in the season, we would be deep in the mire had those results not have gone our way.

We had a very fortunate season injury wise and we have at times struggled more than 2016/17.

Something just seemed to be amiss at times, and if it isn’t rectified over the summer we could struggle next season.

Don’t worry the aim is Europe next season.

Hope this talk again we keep getting can be backed up with results next season. We had the talk the talk this season, unfortunately we didn’t get enough of walk the walk.

SKIPPER Simon Francis has challenged his Cherries team-mates to emulate Burnley by fighting for a European spot next season

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...ays_Cherries__39__next_target_must_be_Europe/

The exciting flowing football of the first two seasons was sadly missing this season. I am sure Eddie will rectify this next in the close season.

Heard all this in the close season after finishing ninth Franno - and we have been nowhere near competing for that this season .
Looked very average for most of the season - need decent recruitment and proper focused preparation Pre season to compete again .

If you haven’t seen it there is an interview on COWS with the sports editor of the Burnley Express and below is one question he was asked.

afcb.co.uk: What have been the key factors behind the side's success?

: They've never really moved too far away from what's brought them success under Sean Dyche. The main words and phrases looked to is the defensive framework and the organisation, but they added a bit more over the summer. They signed Jack Cork, who Bournemouth fans will know, and Steven Defour who came in the previous summer. Those two played in the centre and have had more possession than they've usually had in the Premier League.

That's added another string to it, instead of just relying on that defensive structure and nicking some games they've controlled games and are able to hurt teams in many different ways, that's probably the thing that's helped them most.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/matches/first-team/2017-18/burnley-v-bournemouth?tab=buildup#119553

If Franno is talking like that we have to think he loves the club - that's not a bad place to start from! The guy as Captain is trying to ramp up the players and get some backing from above. He knows his time is limited but is doing his duty as a legend to encourage the follow up to his Era ! That after the stick he has endured this year is something to behold.

On the downside to that perhaps our expectation levels as fans , like Franno, are set too high! This two tier league has thrown up an abject performance from Arsenal but they still finished about 20 points ahead of us.
Burnley like Leicester before got into an early stride and confidence takes over but then that is almost impossible to repeat.

Last edited:
If he is trying to ramp up the players, then do it in the dressing room, out on the training pitch.

Once you say it in the press you are putting pressure on everyone, if it doesn’t go to plan in remains in the dressing room.

Nathan Ake said Simon Francis is always talking to the players on the pitch during games, which is the captain’s job.

We as fans might not see or hear it.

Billy makes a good point about Press pressure- thats the main thing that bothers me about the PL added to Agents and other peripheral interference. Young players in particular have their heads turned so easily on different issues ; but I suppose it is what it is for other clubs too and when you look at Sunderland the control within our club seems stable.

If we turn up like we did against Arsenal then you may be on to your biggest ever win in the Premier League.

Although I do think Dyche will have them giving their all this time.

It's got a draw written all over it.

Ah, Mr Header, whilst you're here. I've been recommended to park near the Gala Bingo Club, is this viable and can we get away easily after the match? Is Dana's (?) Diner still open next to Turf Moor?

Ah, Mr Header, whilst you're here. I've been recommended to park near the Gala Bingo Club, is this viable and can we get away easily after the match? Is Dana's (?) Diner still open next to Turf Moor?

Sorry I don't know what the crack is with the Gala Bingo parking. With it being a Sunday it won't be that difficult to get away from where ever you park., unless you're very impatient that is.

Just up the road from the Gala is the Hollywood Park, so maybe go there if there's nowt doing at the Gala.

The lady I spoke too from Burnley, mentioned parking somewhere near there, probably used the Bingo Hall as a reference. Just wondered how many spaces there are around that part of town. Last season we had a disabled car parking space right next to the stadium, it took us over a hour to travel a mile and a half post match and your club wants £20 for the parking privilege this season.

The lady I spoke too from Burnley, mentioned parking somewhere near there, probably used the Bingo Hall as a reference. Just wondered how many spaces there are around that part of town. Last season we had a disabled car parking space right next to the stadium, it took us over a hour to travel a mile and a half post match and your club wants £20 for the parking privilege this season.

The number of parking spaces has been reduced due to building work going on in 2 corners of the ground. I think that's why they've put such a high price on them. I think they should have just done a first come first served basis, sorry about that :(

Dyche has been impressed with Howe’s work on the south coast ahead of Sunday’s meeting in the final game of the season at Turf Moor: “I think both of us have had success in different ways, he’s done terrific.

“I think, actually, from a manager’s point of view, this is one of his strongest seasons because they had a really tough start.

“He’s been waiting for the players he’s signed to mature and improve, and it’s paid him back.

“They have some good players and he continues to get the best out of them.

“I’m really into development, and I’ve got total respect for Eddie, his staff and players.

Read more at: https://www.burnleyexpress.net/spor...-one-of-his-strongest-seasons-dyche-1-9161257

Read more at: https://www.burnleyexpress.net/spor...-one-of-his-strongest-seasons-dyche-1-9161257

Well, we've made it as far as base camp (Stoke), most of the Winter snows have receded, the Elk and Reindeer have migrated North for the Summer. Drive carefully tomorrow, not only is the M1 closed but there are still a couple of herds of Caribou heading to their Summer grazing ( somewhere North of Keiran Tierney's old house) : )

I just hope the coaches are facing the other way this year. 1 hour's crawl to end up 100 yards from where we started was painful.

Listening to Sportsweek just now and Garry Richardson was speaking to Richard Bevan the President of the LMA, Richardson asked Bevan why is it that Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe are unlikely to be considered for the Arsenal job. It was mentioned amongst other things that overseas owners take advice from agents who do not have any British managers or coaches on their books.

Thanks for the advice Claretfan and Britton's Header but I've still got to say charging £5 an hour for Disabled parking is extortionate. Especially when you're on the Premier gravy train. How many visiting wheelchair users do you get a season? Doesn't come close to the price of Sean Dyche's watch : )

Surely Eddies got the 'complacency' problem in his 'in tray'. It worries me that he might not have bearing in mind that other managers seem to ignore it or don't see it in their players or are they so conceited or self-conscious to admit it , hoping it will 'go away ' i.e Conte and Mourihno!.

;