Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth League Cup Quarter Final

Winning is a habit, a habit we could do with getting into before the weekend. If no-one for Brighton is involved then they don't get any benefit from that. No matter how unlikely, and if they lose it makes no difference as we already lost to Wolves which will hurt more than losing to Chelsea. This time last year we put in a decent performance and almost progressed. OK we then lost against Liverpool and City, but started our upturn soon afterwards, why can't tomorrow night be a similar catalyst? I simply don't understand the negativity

There's been plenty of studies (and no I can't quote one right now) about the effects of rest time on performance. Seems three days is optimal, four is nice to have but the gains over three are marginal. Any more than that and the benefits are neglible, so whilst the risk of injury is valid (especially given the last few weeks, but maybe we've had all our bad luck for the season) the worry about fatigue isn't something I'd take to heart

Normally I would agree with you. However, the pace of the game today is so intense and so the risk of injury and acute fatigue can be wearing on the body. This will occur weather one earns £2.50p a week or 250k a week.

These are professional athletes you know. It’ll have been 98 hours since their last game and 68 hours until their next one.

I hope we go for it. Yes I want us to stay in this league but I also want us to have a day out at Wembley and win this thing.
When we played Wigan last year, despite their relegation, they were quite rightly, still proud of winning the FA cup and will be singing about it for years to come. Would be good if we had something else to sing alongside the -17)...but hopefully not get relegated at the same time!

Winning the FA Cup would be something worth singing about, not sure the Football League Cup would be when in 5 maybe 10 years time it probably won't even exist any more...well unless it's clubs b sides etc...

Maybe I'm just channelling my inner Antismhinto here but I've got a sneaking feeling we might get a surprise result tomorrow. It would be typical AFCB really. Poor run in the league, loads of injuries. Take a makeshift team to Stamford Bridge and knock Chelsea out of the cup. Then get everybody back fit, field our strongest team against Brighton and somehow manage to lose ! :downer:

I think we'll progress to our first major cup semi-final tomorrow. You heard it here first !
:utc:
Your the man.... a REAL fan....but strongest team every game please!

The thing that concerns me is playing anyone who has a niggle ...Messieurs Wilson, Francis, Mings are the obvious ones.
How do you weigh the risk ? If they are rested and then definately fit for the Christmas schedule, played and have potential to then be side lined for a longer period if there condition is aggravated.
I fall on the side of playing when fit , if not someone else gets the nod, cup or league.
In terms of fatigue clubs analyse these things to great detail they will know how the players shape up and adjust work load accordingly. I think this is probably evident with Brooks recently. I guess players can also suffer mental fatigue, which will also affect performance but perhaps a bit harder to judge and wont necessarily have anything to gain from not playing in a given game.

I don't know . . . there will be many more games against the Brightons of the PL before the season is over. But only one chance to advance in the EFL cup.
I would tilt the balance toward the cup -- but I am but a lowly fan! :surrender:

I'd love to win this Cup this is why we're fans for the belief one day we can win a trophy like Wigan and Pompey have in the recent past.

Chelsea will play a weakened team I'm certain and can be got at so we need to take the initiative and play our strongest team this time not like last season and learn from that experience.

Sometimes there's a time to rest players like the Brighton FA Cup game but not this one. There is a chance to reach the Semi finals for first time in our history and if we were to get through we could draw Burton and have a good chance of being in a Cup Final. I hope he uses all our best fit players available especially because of the form we've been in.

Not sure why I am not overly excited at this fixture.

3rd 1/4 final in 5 years?
The fringe players playing?
Brighton more important?
The current poor run?

It's not a moan, I just can't be enthusiastic.

Don't get me wrong.......2045 hours tonight I'll be well in to the game.

A cup semi final would be new ground.

I fall on the side of playing when fit , if not someone else gets the nod, cup or league.
I agree. I think it would be the easiest way to think, if you were a manager. It stops you procrastinating and second guessing your own initial instincts. If your best players are fit, just play them. If they get injured in a " deemed to be less important" game, that's just bad luck and a chance for somebody else to step up and show you what they can do. Best not to overthink these things I reckon ! Let's give it our best shot tonight and we'll deal with the Brighton game when it comes around. We can do this !

Your the man.... a REAL fan....but strongest team every game please!
Thanks Bill, appreciate the support ! I'm a big fan of those crazy stream of consciousness posts you frequently come up with :thumbup:. More please !!!
:acid:
If our best players are fit, they should play tonight, no question. We'll cross the Brighton bridge when we come to it. Let's get at 'em and make some more history !!!

It would sound from Eddie's comments that resting Mings, Francis and Wilson tonight might mean they all become realistic starting options for Saturday, which would seem sensible. Otherwise let's go for it as far as we can.

If we can't get a stadium from this period in our history, then let's at least get a slightly tinpot cup from it. Come on lads.

It would sound from Eddie's comments that resting Mings, Francis and Wilson tonight might mean they all become realistic starting options for Saturday, which would seem sensible.
That would be understandable since all three are less than 100% fit. No point in playing them into a setback which could make their niggles long term injuries. Maybe Callum could be on the bench, just in case we need more physicality up front later on ?

I believe that all players that are likely to be involved in the game with Brighton should not be considered for the Chelsea game tonight. The squad for tonight should only be made up of the squad players that will not start against Brighton and the youth players Kyle Taylor and Oborfore. This will prevent further injury and protect against fatique seeing that we would have had 3 game sin seven days.

It matters not what squed we put out agaist Chelsea as we are very likely to los the game anyway in all fairness, so risk the senior players needlessly. The Brighton game is far more important.

I believe that all players that are likely to be involved in the game with Brighton should not be considered for the Chelsea game tonight. The squad for tonight should only be made up of the squad players that will not start against Brighton and the youth players Kyle Taylor and Oborfore. This will prevent further injury and protect against fatique seeing that we would have had 3 game sin seven days.

It matters not what squed we put out agaist Chelsea as we are very likely to los the game anyway in all fairness, so risk the senior players needlessly. The Brighton game is far more important.

You really do just contradict yourself. Last week youth/ shouldn’t play against premier league opposition, then no players should be involved that will play Brighton but you named Steve Cook in your line up, then you want Taylor and Oboforh in midfield together which contradicts point one massively as there would be ‘no experience’ in central midfield.

Keep up

;