Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth

We battled well, but we WERE outclassed. They were the better team, but 2-0 was a little harsh

What I mean is that we were never over-run and managed their threat very well, excepting 3 occasions when they scored or hit the post. We had a similar number of good chances, on other days they would have gone in. Anyone know what the XG was, by the way?

I suppose I was attempting to make the point that Chelsea are much better this year, and so are we - feels like the gap is less yawning than in our first 3 PL seasons between us and decent PL sides.

4 chances to score none taken. Fraser, Gosling, Wilson and Ake.
Ake's was a certain goal missed, the others were just chances as they weren't on target and didn't worry the keeper.

First half we left way too much space on our left hand side. There was often a free man out wide but Chelsea rarely used him.

First half we left way too much space on our left hand side. There was often a free man out wide but Chelsea rarely used him.

Teams like Chelsea will always look to go through the middle. Knocking it wide and hoofing crosses into the box isn’t really part of their game plan.

In fact if we can encourage that, it’s good defending. For that reason, it makes a lot more sense to allow the space outside, rather than on the inside where the attacker will get a run on goal

Think we see this a lot,even at home games,Charlie used to go narrow.

It was quite clearly an instruction to stop them playing through the middle. They could have put balls in the box all day and not won a header, hence why they kept doing drilled crosses instead.

Hazard just keeps probing until he eventually ‘ghosts’ through the defence and scores. A very hard working player who you must watch all the time.

Chelsea will badly miss him if he moves, wonder what fee he would fetch in these inflated prices these days?

What I mean is that we were never over-run and managed their threat very well, excepting 3 occasions when they scored or hit the post. We had a similar number of good chances, on other days they would have gone in. Anyone know what the XG was, by the way?

xG.JPG

A bunch of low quality shots for Chelsea vs two decent chances, but not absolute sitters, for us. Confirms what I felt at the match, Chelsea were better than us but we did well to prevent any clear opportunities , and whilst they probably just about deserved the win, a draw would have been fair enough as well.

View attachment 883

A bunch of low quality shots for Chelsea vs two decent chances, but not absolute sitters, for us. Confirms what I felt at the match, Chelsea were better than us but we did well to prevent any clear opportunities , and whilst they probably just about deserved the win, a draw would have been fair enough as well.

Exactly what my perception of the contest was - the 2 goals to nil metric is very blunt.

Exactly what my perception of the contest was - the 2 goals to nil metric is very blunt.

In some ways the match wasn’t overly different to last season. Chelsea peppering our goal with lots of speculative long range shots while we had the more clearer openings.

The difference being we weren’t so clinical this time and Chelsea eventually found a breakthrough. Had we scored first, or I daresay, the ref had been a bit braver, we weren’t far off another result.

Have to admit I’m feeling better about the match after 24 hours however I still struggle with the bunker down approach. Our style is possession and attack and yet we went to a completely different system yesterday. How does that affect the team’s psyche? It’s as if we concede the match before it begins.

Have to admit I’m feeling better about the match after 24 hours however I still struggle with the bunker down approach. Our style is possession and attack and yet we went to a completely different system yesterday. How does that affect the team’s psyche? It’s as if we concede the match before it begins.
I completely disagree. We didn't 'bunker down' at all. Sometimes better teams will dictate the way we play. Yesterday was one of those days.

Yes we'll rue the missed chances but we tried our best against a much better Chelsea team than we played last season.

Sorry but when you face a midfield of Hazard, Kante, Willan et al you are not going to be able to hold the ball and dictate play. If we were able to do that against that sort of quality we would be challenging for the title. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that other teams have world class players at their disposal.
I thought our game plan was spot on, in fact identical to last season - the difference being that we missed a couple of chances and Chelsea are a better side this season.

It's exactly what we did last year and ripped them apart on the counter. We were 2 pretty poor misses away from going 0-2 and doing the same again.

Exactly this. The difference is taking chances or not. Players as good as hazard don't need many.

We did really well. This is the first time I have felt we really belong in this division.

Last three posts illustrate how sometimes match reports/summations are better done a day or so after. They often give a better illustration of what went on.

We looked liked we belonged, pretty solid too, gave me hope for this season. Chelsea looked very good and will give a few wallopings out there this season

Nathan Ake on his missed chance.

Wilson fired off target in the first half before Ake missed from close range after Steve Cook had flicked on a corner from Diego Rico in the second half.

“To be honest, I didn’t even see the ball,” said Ake. “It went through a few people and I just stuck out my leg.

“The ball hit my foot and it could have gone anywhere. I wanted it to go in the goal but it didn’t so I was disappointed with that.

“Callum’s chance was a hard one but also a very good chance. If you come to places like this, you need to take those chances if you are going to win and we know that.”

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/16683752.defeat-a-bitter-pill-for-chelsea-old-boy-nathan-ake/

;