Chris Mepham

I take it you were not around for "Charmygate?"

58 years on this earth and I had never heard of Charminster being called Charmy.
Neither had anyone bar 2 people.

I shall be doing a test on my return to Bournemouth next month.
I'm going to hop on a bus and ask for a single to "Charmy"
I expect the Polish bus driver will not have a clue.

I read that the Polish low paid workers were returning home as they can get a better standard of living over there, but they can still claim benefits in the UK as long as they still have an address there.
There was no reference to "Charmy" though.

Been late to training a couple times are what I've heard, on top of his arrogant attitude.

Doesn't help the guy is made of paper either

I don't agree with Mings having an attitude. Not from a fans point of view anyway. As I've said before, I really like the guy. However, he's not shy with his opinions on the pitch and a remember him having a real shouting match with Begovic over something. I can imagine a falling out with Cook or Franno

I don't agree with Mings having an attitude. Not from a fans point of view anyway. As I've said before, I really like the guy. However, he's not shy with his opinions on the pitch and a remember him having a real shouting match with Begovic over something. I can imagine a falling out with Cook or Franno

Agree, he's never seemed arrogant from previous reports, in fact he seemed more of a grounded individual than many players.

He does seem confident on the pitch, I remember being struck by how vocal he was in the Sevilla friendly (when he also covered every blade of grass).

My view is it's a real shame if something has happened internally to cause EH to drop him from the squad. I don't want to believe rumours and heresay, but on the other hand there must be a reason for his non-inclusion, and if it was injury then it would be in the public domain. That then just leaves speculation.....

futureproofing

This is the key. We are now almost in a position to field an XI without the “old guard”

Begovic
Clyne Mepham Aké Smith
Brooks Cook Lerma Fraser
King Wilson / Solanke

I’ve included Smith, Fraser and Wilson despite technically being part of the old guard as no one would seriously suggest they can’t perform to PL standards for years to come.

Steve Cook is 27 coming on 28 this year, I wouldn't classify him as old.
Anyway, Eddie would play him if fit.
I’m not necessarily referring to players age in the term “old guard”. I’m talking about players who’ve been with us through the leagues and probably at the limit of their talent. Just my opinion but I’d put Smith, Fraser and Wilson (all a similar age) a level above Cook.

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in thread ..... I was wondering if the signing and success of his Welsh team mate Brooks has helped make up Mepham's mind. Eddie been after him for a year plus and in the window following Brooks arrival he signs. Be Ramsey next!!! :grinning:

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in thread ..... I was wondering if the signing and success of his Welsh team mate Brooks has helped make up Mepham's mind. Eddie been after him for a year plus and in the window following Brooks arrival he signs. Be Ramsey next!!! :grinning:
...or Bale!

I’m not necessarily referring to players age in the term “old guard”. I’m talking about players who’ve been with us through the leagues and probably at the limit of their talent. Just my opinion but I’d put Smith, Fraser and Wilson (all a similar age) a level above Cook.

I agree with that, but some of it is that we appreciate the attacking qualities a bit more than defensive ones don't we?

I agree with that, but some of it is that we appreciate the attacking qualities a bit more than defensive ones don't we?
In general among football fans yes. Not sure it’s applicable for us though. One look of our defensive record compared to goal scoring record highlights that

Would be a brilliant signing for us. Often notoriously difficult to get long term signings in January, as opposed to short term fixes, so credit but go to Eddie and the board for seemingly getting this done.

Will be interesting to see our starting 11 in August this year!

Tom Barclay

Bournemouth are in advanced negotiations to sign Brentford's Chris Mepham. I'm told the defender, also a Southampton target, only wants to join the Cherries - because of Eddie Howe's long-standing interest in him #afcb #saintsfc

Still time to raise the Demari Gray thread before the end of the window!

;