Coldest away days

York away in early March 1995. WAs working at Manch Airport for a couple of weeks and we'd been closed due to snow for a time. Decided to hop over the Pennines to the game. Bloody freezing.

Oh yes, and that Man Utd train !!

Bizarrely Oxford away on I think a boxing day, maybe new years. I had a Bovril which was about as hot as the sun and my hands were still blue

My first ever AFCB game. Think we lost 2-0. Don't remember anything from the game but get goosebumps remembering how cold I felt.

My first ever AFCB game. Think we lost 2-0. Don't remember anything from the game but get goosebumps remembering how cold I felt.

I remember driving back from that game - the gauge on the dashboard kept showing the temperature was between -o.5 and -2 degrees outside - until we got to Julian's bridge at Wimborne - where it fell to -4!!

It was a cold one!

Many years ago I remember a game at Dean Court in October sitting in the sun in tee shirt and shorts. The following half term weekend with my sons at Oldham I had 4 layers on, 2 pairs of socks, gloves, beanie hat and i was still cold.

Reactions: DJ
Walsall away late 80s when it snowed so much you could only see half the pitch. Also Man United away last season was pretty cold but mainly because I got a soaking beforehand...

Newcastle FA Cup away in January 1973 - 0-2 “Our aim is to entertain”. My first experience of north east cold and geordies walking around in t-shirts.

Cheltenham away on New Year’s Day I think it was. 1-0 win with the winner from Liam Feeney. Frost was forming before the game finished.

Almost too many to mention. Middlesbrough away in the FA cup after we had beaten Man U. Wigan away between Xmas and New Year in the early noughties, Hartlepool several times and Grimsby away on a Friday night - a 3-3 draw, biting wind off the North Sea - we had 5 in our car so made up about 7% of our total support that night.

A lot of this is relative to what you brought to wear!

So, to me it’s the December victory at Sheff Weds (Fraser’s little dink for 2-0 in Championship season). I dashed straight from work in Manchester. I had man flu. When I got there I realised I had no coat. I would rather have sex with a Turkish weightlifter than be seen in a work jacket at a football ground so stood their shivering and sneezing in a shirt and trousers..

Bizarrely Oxford away on I think a boxing day, maybe new years. I had a Bovril which was about as hot as the sun and my hands were still blue

I remember an Oxford game too around the late 90’s around Christmas. We were completely outplayed but the Oxford contingent couldn’t work out why we were making so much noise; it was simply because our feet were so cold and we were stamping up and down!!

Grimsby when lost 5-0 the week before Christmas back when Harry was boss was a really cold and damp day that combined with the awful football to make it really unpleasant feeling and I had a bad cold too. Wigan away when abandoned due to snow in 1987 and was pretty bleak too. Gillingham away in the snow when we lost 0-2 about 85/86 was bleak too.[/Q
The pre-match headline in the OHEC before the Grimsby game “ We can sink the Mariners “
Well they torpedoed us - a gutless display in a wind swept shitehole - with Gerry Peyton shouting at us to “ f££k off “ when we had a go at the team .

Hartlepool , FA Cup 4th rd 1989 - barely deserved the 1-1 draw , bloody freezing then a bloody long train journey home .
Bradford 1991 , week or so after the 5-1 drubbing at Pompey in the cup - truly dreadful 3-0 defeat , we ended up kicking a balloon full of snow and ice around on the terrace .
Forest Green 2005 Fa Cup - parked the car in the front garden of a family right next to the ground for a couple of quid - their kids kept an eye on them for us ! Watched that 6-5 Arsenal v Spurs match in the clubhouse before the game , bloody cold terrace 1-1 draw .

Swansea when Kevin Bond was in charge and we were bottom of L1.

It was a Friday night and absolutely bitter at -5C. 3-0 but got back to 3-2 and for a minute thought we were actually get something out of the game until Lee Trundle scored right at the death. Ryan Bertrand and Jack Cork made their debuts on loan for us that night from Chelsea.

Is that the game when Jim Davison came on the pitch to try an calm afcb fans down

I think it was.

At the time I lived about a mile from Blackbushe Airport and Davison sometimes chartered a helicopter for games. It did cross my mind to go up to the airport and cadge a lift down to Dorchester. The Echo confirmed that he did fly down there.

;