Covid & Football

I agree that wins v Palace and Newcastle would virtually do it for us.... but to dismiss Brighton as just 'crap' is ridiculous...they are as capable as us for turning in a decent run...they have 2 more points last time I looked! They can be crap too of course...but we are quite adept at that also.
I see West Ham as the weakest...with tougher games than most.
However....anything can happen in this weird scenario...form is not really a factor after this long break...its down to who comes at it best in the 1st few games..as I see it.

Karren Brady has revealed that in the discussions between the clubs yesterday they found out it will likely be decreed that as long as you have 15 fit players from your submitted 25 and U21 list then you will still have to play a game.

Now take a look at who qualifies as an U21 player in our official squad listing here:
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1603207

Try to tell me this doesn't have the potential to descend into absolute farce. You could have 22 players in isolation because of coronavirus and the PL would say we still need to play the match.

I agree that wins v Palace and Newcastle would virtually do it for us.... but to dismiss Brighton as just 'crap' is ridiculous...they are as capable as us for turning in a decent run...they have 2 more points last time I looked! They can be crap too of course...but we are quite adept at that also.
I see West Ham as the weakest...with tougher games than most.
However....anything can happen in this weird scenario...form is not really a factor after this long break...its down to who comes at it best in the 1st few games..as I see it.
You call me ridiculous

Post of the year Bri ;-)

I was being tongue in cheek. Pretty sure you are world class at that...

BHA were on an horrendous run, and were going down. Who knows now?

You call me ridiculous

Post of the year Bri ;-)

I was being tongue in cheek. Pretty sure you are world class at that...

BHA were on an horrendous run, and were going down. Who knows now?

I didn't 'call' YOU ridiculous....just the idea.
I guess many others had the same thoughts!

Yeah I do plenty of Tongue in Cheek stuff...
...in the past much of it about Brighton....and ended up feeling I'd better have buttoned it !

Karren Brady has revealed that in the discussions between the clubs yesterday they found out it will likely be decreed that as long as you have 15 fit players from your submitted 25 and U21 list then you will still have to play a game.

Now take a look at who qualifies as an U21 player in our official squad listing here:
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1603207

Try to tell me this doesn't have the potential to descend into absolute farce. You could have 22 players in isolation because of coronavirus and the PL would say we still need to play the match.
From what we were served up before the cessation I think I’d be happy to see half a dozen of those lads out there.

So that means there have been 12 positive cases in the 3,881 tests of PL players and coaching staff taken so far. That’s 0.31% which is close to the weekly random sample results by the Office of National Statistics. Last week there were 36 positives in 18,913 ONS tests (0.24%).

So far then, nothing to suggest that PL footballers are any more prone to catch or pass on the infection than anyone else.

Tyrone Mings

Some feel unease about football coming back in this country in a little over two weeks from now and others have voiced their misgivings that the battle against coronavirus is still far from over and that this is still all too early but, with Villa back in full contact training and competitive instincts reignited, Mings is at peace with the decision.

The England defender is not blind to the imperatives driving the return. 'The motives are possibly 100 per cent financially driven rather than integrity driven,' he says. Few would argue with that. Still, he has thought through the risks to himself, to his family and to others and he is satisfied that he will be in surroundings that are as safe as they can be.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...stars-left-little-choice-Project-Restart.html

Tyrone Mings

Some feel unease about football coming back in this country in a little over two weeks from now and others have voiced their misgivings that the battle against coronavirus is still far from over and that this is still all too early but, with Villa back in full contact training and competitive instincts reignited, Mings is at peace with the decision.

The England defender is not blind to the imperatives driving the return. 'The motives are possibly 100 per cent financially driven rather than integrity driven,' he says. Few would argue with that. Still, he has thought through the risks to himself, to his family and to others and he is satisfied that he will be in surroundings that are as safe as they can be.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...stars-left-little-choice-Project-Restart.html
That article would make a lot more sense if Mings had the self-awareness to know who it is making the financial demands. Who, ultimately, gets the TV money? The players. The reason for the great urgency to play is to pay the players. The players are making the financial demands, the players' wages are the reason the clubs need money.

If Mings and his colleagues had said "no, furlough us, when it's safe we'll come back and play" then there would be no financial necessity to return.

;