Dan Gosling

Agree. Admire his honesty, those are the sort of things you say when you retire and write the book!

Bit on Bournemouth...

“Yeah, I knew all about that. We’d played quite a few times, and we’d been involved in promotions and relegations at the same time. That’s what grew the rivalry.

“I’d not long been here when we had that very feisty game down there. We lost the game and that was a big moment for them. But some of the things that went on, and are still going on in social media, weren’t pleasant.

“I knew all the Bournemouth lads personally, and they’re not really like that. There was no issue with any of the Watford lads and them before that game. It was a case of a couple of individuals doing things that set it off. I can’t see Watford trying to sign Jefferson Lerma any time soon, put it that way.

“The thing is, he’s a nice fella. I don’t know what happened that day. It was strange.

“When you cross the line, you want to win. And he wanted to win that day at all costs, and that seemed to include being happy to have an opponent sent off. It’s not great sportsmanship. Having said that, if Watford were in the FA Cup Final and winning with a few minutes to go and someone tapped my leg, I might go down too. I just wouldn’t scream!”

It had to be asked – did Bournemouth ever train in the art of winning free-kicks and penalties?

“I can’t ever remember us specifically speaking about it,” said Gosling.

“We had Wilson and King up front, and fast wingers who got in the box. When you’ve got that strength and willingness to run in behind, then you do get tugged and wrestled. It usually favours the attacker because defenders panic. A little nudge, a little pull – some players do look for it these days.”

Watford Observer:

some of the questions are embarrassing - the thing I dislike about Watford most is the claims they make about us when some of their players do exactly the same but they seem oblivious. Asking about if we practised diving!

Wonder if he wishes he'd accepted the Forest move.. I guess he chose the better club at the time.

I've always thought Gozzo is underrated. He scores goals and should at least be on the bench. I'm not sure him singling out individual players in that interview was great, though. That kind of thing creates distrust with current teammates as well.

Wonder if he wishes he'd accepted the Forest move.. I guess he chose the better club at the time.

I've always thought Gozzo is underrated. He scores goals and should at least be on the bench. I'm not sure him singling out individual players in that interview was great, though. That kind of thing creates distrust with current teammates as well.
It’s actually a bit of a myth that Gosling scores goals, the most league goals he has ever scored in a season is three I believe. A good hard working an honest pro who was pivotal to our success, but not really a goal scorer by any means. I think it just looked that way because when compared to Cook, Lerma and Surman his output would seem like prime Lampard level.

It’s actually a bit of a myth that Gosling scores goals, the most league goals he has ever scored in a season is three I believe. A good hard working an honest pro who was pivotal to our success, but not really a goal scorer by any means. I think it just looked that way because when compared to Cook, Lerma and Surman his output would seem like prime Lampard level.

Given how often he started, I think he did pretty well. Scored more than Lerma, Cook, Billing (in PL). Did well for Watford in Championship.

Can’t be bothered to look up the stats but I’m amazed (yet also taking a moment to think about it wouldn’t be surprised if it’s true as I recall losing a fair few “Gosling to score at any time” bets over the years) by that max 3 goals in a season stat - always had him pegged as goalscoring midfielder so I was obviously well taken in by the myth!

Didn’t he also call out a few unnamed players in our relegation season as well? I think fans respond to that, but as mentioned above the done thing is generally to keep it all in house so will be interesting to see how Watford respond to it

Well the interview was done with club representative in the room and in the local paper so guess they are ok with it .

Note he didn’t call out any current players and praises the new manager so obviously that was deliberate.

Was very open and honest indeed.

Mind you would he have said it had he been a regular starter ?

some of the questions are embarrassing - the thing I dislike about Watford most is the claims they make about us when some of their players do exactly the same but they seem oblivious. Asking about if we practised diving!

They bait for the rivalry and look to wind themselves up. It's throughout the club too from the players, fans, social media and even the person who writes the kids section in the programmes.

I have never seen anything like it ....it's so weird.

They bait for the rivalry and look to wind themselves up. It's throughout the club too from the players, fans, social media and even the person who writes the kids section in the programmes.

As long as it doesn’t start happening from our side it’s easy to ignore.

For example, hopefully it’s a one off from the new Dorset Live chap with his clickbait Forest/AFCB article.

club and local media reinforce the hatred and myths. Bit sad for them that they think we need to be the focus of their hatred

Sadly, Watford fans seem to turn a blind eye to their own side’s indiscretions.

T

Far from it now tbf - lots of attention given and questions being asked .

Loads of negativity around .

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/mogi-bayat.59366/page-2#post-3153895

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/rob-edwards-watford-manager.59336/page-27#post-3153893

Fans hating the owners and some almost wishing we lose games or the manager walks out !

I mean it’s probably easier to be that angry and annoyed now after 2 relegations in 3 seasons and poor recruiting compared to when we were in the Premier league and things seemed ok.

;