David Brooks

Lets face it H just isn't quality on a regular basis. With the midfield we have now , If Solis signs, he will spend his time on the bench.

The game against Man U as well just after his personal tragedy. He owned that whole game.

It’s odd how some fans have turned so against a player so good. Fair enough to wipe out his future if that’s your subjective opinion. You can’t change history that we all saw. Nobody at our club, including the brilliant Lewis Cook, has come close to matching a rampaging Arter at his best,

Can Arter and Howe unlock that again between them?

Neil, no ones "wiping out Arter's future"; I'm pretty sure Thanos doesn't have a vitals account. Personally, I find it odd that some people want Arter to play ahead of others (who are ahead of him on merit), because they are clinging onto a couple of impressive performances from 2 years ago.

I don't disagree that he's put in some spectacular 10/10 performances, but Cook and Gosling together have shown they can give 8/10 performances on a consistent basis. If Arter played like he did against Everton/Man U/Spurs consistently, he'd be at Barcelona! But I don't think he can IMO, and when he's bad, he's kind of awful.

I only want him to leave if staying here and being 5th choice is going to make him miserable; if he's happy to stay and try and improve then that's fair enough!

Neil, no ones "wiping out Arter's future"; I'm pretty sure Thanos doesn't have a vitals account. Personally, I find it odd that some people want Arter to play ahead of others (who are ahead of him on merit), because they are clinging onto a couple of impressive performances from 2 years ago.

I don't disagree that he's put in some spectacular 10/10 performances, but Cook and Gosling together have shown they can give 8/10 performances on a consistent basis. If Arter played like he did against Everton/Man U/Spurs consistently, he'd be at Barcelona! But I don't think he can IMO, and when he's bad, he's kind of awful.

I only want him to leave if staying here and being 5th choice is going to make him miserable; if he's happy to stay and try and improve then that's fair enough!

Quite a few people have decided, on here, on the Echo site and at the ground that he won’t recover his old form. That’s what I meant by wiping his future.

We have played Surman, Ibe, Franno, Wilson many times out of form to try and get them back in form, I’m not sure the difference.

Anyway, I’m not asking for Arter to be picked now. I’m just saying we have a player in our ranks that can match the best in the game. I hope we give him one more chance to do this with a run of games at some point this season.

Quite a few people have decided, on here, on the Echo site and at the ground that he won’t recover his old form. That’s what I meant by wiping his future.

We have played Surman, Ibe, Franno, Wilson many times out of form to try and get them back in form, I’m not sure the difference.

Anyway, I’m not asking for Arter to be picked now. I’m just saying we have a player in our ranks that can match the best in the game. I hope we give him one more chance to do this with a run of games at some point this season.

He's been given plenty of chances in the last 18 months and hasn't looked good enough. I don't necessarily want rid of him but you don't pick teams on who was the best player two years ago.

He's been given plenty of chances in the last 18 months and hasn't looked good enough. I don't necessarily want rid of him but you don't pick teams on who was the best player two years ago.
Of course, no-ones suggesting that but don't let that stop you.

It looks to me as if people are saying Harry is still a good squad member, worth keeping and giving more chances to break successfully back into the first team.

Of course, no-ones suggesting that but don't let that stop you.

It looks to me as if people are saying Harry is still a good squad member, worth keeping and giving more chances to break successfully back into the first team.

I'd let Harry do what he wants to do - if he wants to stay and fight for his place the great. If he wants to go because he thinks he's a better chance of playing elsewhere then I'd wish him the best. One of my all time favourite players.

I'm not sure what point Neil is making with this talk of 'one of the two best players we've got on our books' talk - should Anderton be back in the team?

I'm a bit confused as to how the first few months of last season has suddenly become '18 months ago' or 'two years ago'

It's less than year since Arter was a quality Premier League midfielder IMHO. If only there was a suitable phrase about class not being temporary, etc...

If he goes, I hope he never plays against us as he is clearly a player that every opposition fan hates. That would be difficult after all he's done for us.

Reactions: DJ
I'm desperate for him to be in the team and happy again since it would be a shame to lose him after all he has done for us.

This

A fit and firing Arter is exactly what we were missing for the last few months of last season, which meant that on occasion the other team just waltzed gently through our midfield.

My only worry, based on evidence of the last few times I've seen him (including the Sevilla friendly where he looked about to kill someone), is that he seems to have lost the attacking intent from a footballing perspective but doubled up in it from a "walking booking" perspective.

If he could focus the energy on getting the ball back, getting forward and shooting again, it'd be like a new player for us.

I'm a bit confused as to how the first few months of last season has suddenly become '18 months ago' or 'two years ago'

It's less than year since Arter was a quality Premier League midfielder IMHO. If only there was a suitable phrase about class not being temporary, etc...

If he goes, I hope he never plays against us as he is clearly a player that every opposition fan hates. That would be difficult after all he's done for us.

He didn't play well at the start of last season - a half-decent cameo at Stoke was about it unfortunately.

I suppose..well I've been thinking outside of my usual off the cuff stuff and come to the conclusion.. that it is time now that the more sentimental souls among us have to give way a bit to the ruthless observers that want the old guard consigned to history. It's not easy is it? A bit of a tearjerker! I think Eddie tries to get a balance with it, rightly or wrongly? Maybe this is the season he switches more to doing what he has to do if he wants to get in the top ten more easily! The Franno and Harry questions, among others have come to a crossroads and Eddie has to direct the traffic somehow!
He has seen Dyche steal a bit of his unique niche and he won't have enjoyed that!
Just a few thoughts while I wait for this long week to pan out. :utc:

I'd let Harry do what he wants to do - if he wants to stay and fight for his place the great. If he wants to go because he thinks he's a better chance of playing elsewhere then I'd wish him the best. One of my all time favourite players.

I'm not sure what point Neil is making with this talk of 'one of the two best players we've got on our books' talk - should Anderton be back in the team?

That’s oblique even by your standards Derek. If Anderton was 28 and in our squad while still playing for his country it would be relevant. It doesn’t really warrant further comment. ;)

The point I’m making is a simple one. We have few players that can dominate against top class midfielders. We are all agreed that this hasn’t happened for a year. I think he is worth a run of games before Gosling and Surman to see if we can get that form back...and in the knowledge we will only see Lerma at Bristol Rovers and Brentford.

I also agree with you it’s likely he may choose to leave. This was just an ‘if he stays’ scenario.

Last edited:
From the BBC live text coverage of today:

"Just been told that David Brooks had no idea he'd be making his Premier League debut when he turned up at the Vitality Stadium at lunchtime today.

Apparently he walked into the Bournemouth dressing room and said 'Why is my shirt hanging up?'

Sounds like something from a Roy of the Rovers sketch!'"

:grinning:

There's definitely a player there and it'll be interesting to see how he copes against for one of top sides in the league as that's a completely different game.

I imagine he'll have nightmares about that header tonight!

Looked very natural on the ball and seem calm and not ruffled.

He will be a very good player for us once he settles in.

;