David Turnbull

I'm a Liverpool and Motherwell fan that happened to watch Bournemouth live a couple of times last season. Turnbull is perfect for your team, he'll be a revelation. How good? He's a better player than Gary McAllister at the same age. That's high praise indeed.

I'm a Liverpool and Motherwell fan that happened to watch Bournemouth live a couple of times last season. Turnbull is perfect for your team, he'll be a revelation. How good? He's a better player than Gary McAllister at the same age. That's high praise indeed.
What type of role do you think he’d play at Bournemouth? A goal nearly other game suggests he’d be more in an advanced position? Eddie typically likes his playmakers out wide (like Brooks). Is that a role he could play?

As we generally play with just 2 in midfield we don’t allow them to get forward much. If he is a goalscorer, would he be comfortable in a deeper role? Our squad is crying out for a continental style no. 10, but Eddie usually prefers asking strikers to play deeper rather than advanced midfielders.

The buzz around him would suggest he is a typical Eddie signing. My instinct says he’d be a couple of years from regular first XI given he might not fit exactly into our system and he’s going to be a 19 year old lad moving a long way from home.

What type of role do you think he’d play at Bournemouth? A goal nearly other game suggests he’d be more in an advanced position? Eddie typically likes his playmakers out wide (like Brooks). Is that a role he could play?

As we generally play with just 2 in midfield we don’t allow them to get forward much. If he is a goalscorer, would he be comfortable in a deeper role? Our squad is crying out for a continental style no. 10, but Eddie usually prefers asking strikers to play deeper rather than advanced midfielders.

The buzz around him would suggest he is a typical Eddie signing. My instinct says he’d be a couple of years from regular first XI given he might not fit exactly into our system and he’s going to be a 19 year old lad moving a long way from home.

He's not two years away from your first team. Anecdotal story that our first team squad was demanding his promotion last season, and the manager made a mistake not listening.

Robinson overdid the 1980's football coach "work harder/right to play," bs. It worked in his first season, other teams had us sussed right up till a change in playing style at Christmas. We actually started playing football, fielding Gorrin, a cracking Spanish player with a bit of dig alongside Turnbull, and unleashed a couple of often unplayable wingers. The number 10 role is ideal for Turnbull, he'll do some damage there. Eddie Howe is no mug, he's well regarded in Scotland and he'll know exactly what to do with Turnbull. Of all the teams linked with Turnbull ( and that includes Celtic ), Bournemouth is the one that has the Motherwell support nodding in agreement.

Lets not take the hyperbole too far, but ex Man Utd midfielder Michael Stewart has compared Turnbull to Michael Ballack. The boy is different class.

Thanks for your reply. Seems a good prospect and the type of player I want to see in our squad.

Just on this:-
He's not two years away from your first team.
I don’t mean ability wise he would be 2 years away from our first team. I’ve never seen him play so I have no idea.

But there is something here called “learning the Bournemouth way”. Nearly all new signings have to go through this process. Nathan Aké and Lewis Cook did let alone Ryan Fraser!

It’s something he would have to bear in mind if he did want to learn under Eddie. That said, the players who do decide to go through this process end up much better players!

Not one but two Scottish Snootys going above and beyond to make this transfer happen. The last time Snooty waved his wand over a bit of frothy speculation, he conjured us up....

Benik Afobe!!!

WHO admittedly kept us up the first season and formed a half decent partnership with Josh the second.

Thanks for your reply. Seems a good prospect and the type of player I want to see in our squad.

Just on this:-

I don’t mean ability wise he would be 2 years away from our first team. I’ve never seen him play so I have no idea.

But there is something here called “learning the Bournemouth way”. Nearly all new signings have to go through this process. Nathan Aké and Lewis Cook did let alone Ryan Fraser!

It’s something he would have to bear in mind if he did want to learn under Eddie. That said, the players who do decide to go through this process end up much better players!

David Brooks took one game to learn the Bournemouth way.

Morning. Motherwell fan here (yes, another one. Sorry).

I was having a nose around this thread and thought I'd chip in here. I wouldn't go as far as the more excitable 'Well fan a few posts up but Turnbull has a ton of potential.

You're right, he's probably not going to go straight into your first XI.

Where does he fit in? He's probably somewhere between an '8' and a '10'. Despite the goals he's not a particularly advanced player. With us he's been playing as part of a midfield 3 with one holding, one doing the running and him generally #balling his way around the park.

Surprising as it may seem for a Scottish player he's an entirely 'continental' style. He's composed, retains the ball well, has an excellent touch and can ping a ball. The main thing about him is that he's a natural footballer, he has that sort of quality where he knows when to hold the ball an extra half second and let the game develop.

There's clearly a massive gulf in quality between where we are and the level you guys play at and yes your Nans could be top scorers up here and all that but to put Turnbull into a bit of context:

He's scored 15 goals in 30 league games for a side that finished 8th in the league.

Only 2 other centre mids (which is what he is) have managed the same/better numbers in the league since 2000 both of them in teams that won the league:

Stuart Armstrong for Celtic in 15/16 - 15 in 31
Barry Ferguson for Rangers in 02/03 - 16 in 36

Gary McAllister at Fir Park was before my time but I'm entirely comfortable saying Turnbull's the most natural footballer I've seen at the club. He's better than Lambert when he left for Borussia Dortmund and a better all round player than McFadden when he left for Everton.

I'd be absolutely delighted if he ended up at Bournemouth as he definitely deserves a crack at that sort of level.

Anyway here's a link to some clips:

from last Friday:

Ronnie Charters‏ @STVRonnie Jun 7

Celtic have bid rejected for Motherwell's David Turnbull. Barnsley also have bid rejected. One bid for £2 million and other in excess of £1 million. Understand Celtic will go back in again with an offer but Motherwell won't accept anything less than a £3 million package.

This all sounds good and right up our street.

I can imagine Celtic is a big pull for the lad. And to any Scottish prospect, a move to Bournemouth might seem a pretty giant step geographically for not huge gain stature wise. I hope we can use Ryan Fraser as an example development path, all it takes is 1-2 good seasons here and suddenly you have Arsenal and Man United interested in you.

Whereas 1-2 good seasons at Celtic gets you a move to someone like Southampton as per Wanyama and van Dijk, taking a bit longer to move up the ladder (if that kind of progression up the ladder is what interests you).

;