David Turnbull

£3 million? Sounds a steal. We haven't actually been linked with him though have we?

You have, aye.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/...avid-turnbull-bournemouth-motherwell-16401792

There was actually mention up here a few months ago that didn't make the papers that there was interest from Bournemouth but you take those sort of whispers with a massive pinch of salt.

The fact that Robinson's manager here makes it seem feasible though. I don't know if he still has connections down there?

Saw this, not sure how true it is.

Earlier reports on Friday [BBC Sport] claimed that Celtic had had an initial bid for the 19-year-old – who scored 16 goals and assisted seven others for his side last season – turned down.

Football Insider now claim, however, that Turnbull wants to move to Parkhead and is unwilling to entertain offers that come in from other clubs.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/06/blogs/turnbull-wants-to-join-celtic/

FWIW: that story was shut down straight away by Motherwell's media guy.

The "source" was a post on a Celtic forum which was then picked up and re-packaged as "news" for clicks.

That's a really helpful report from bunkmoreland - thanks. He sounds exactly the sort of midfielder we're looking for - holds the ball, moves, gets around the park. As we've no midfield backup he must be worth a shot, even if he's initially a squad player.

If ... if this isn't a piece of McFlurry designed to push up his market price.

....Celtic are a bigger club than us...so I would say that they have the upper hand in this one (maybe we could do a secret Mousset deal with them and they could pull out of the race to sign Turnbull?)

You have, aye.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/...avid-turnbull-bournemouth-motherwell-16401792

There was actually mention up here a few months ago that didn't make the papers that there was interest from Bournemouth but you take those sort of whispers with a massive pinch of salt.

The fact that Robinson's manager here makes it seem feasible though. I don't know if he still has connections down there?

FWIW: that story was shut down straight away by Motherwell's media guy.

The "source" was a post on a Celtic forum which was then picked up and re-packaged as "news" for clicks.

Thanks for the info (y)

....Celtic are a bigger club than us...so I would say that they have the upper hand in this one (maybe we could do a secret Mousset deal with them and they could pull out of the race to sign Turnbull?)

In honesty, the only real appeal Celtic have (unless you're a fan of theirs) is that they pay "decent" money relatively speaking for the Scottish league and they offer the opportunity to be routinely humiliated in European competition. If getting bodied 5-0 and 7-1 by PSG and 7-0 by Barcelona is your thing then it's the ideal place for a player.

It's a "big" club absolutely but it's very much a platform to the Premier League now eg: Armstrong, VVD, Wanyama etc. If a player up here gets the chance to go direct to PL or Championship then why bother with that middle-step eg: Robertson.

Turnbull is very publicly a Motherwell fan. It's difficult for fans of Rangers and Celtic up here to comprehend that but he's been very vocal about Motherwell being the club he supports.

He's also a pretty switched on kid. There was interest from England (and possibly actual offers) at the turn of the year but he signed an extension with Motherwell because he wasn't convinced he wouldn't just get dumped into the u23s (Swansea and Southampton were being quoted with interest):

“There was interest from other clubs but it was always my intention to stay here. It was just about getting the 
right contract.
“The most important thing was getting more experience. I need that game time.
“English clubs were looking at me but I could go there and find myself sitting on the bench or playing U23 football so this is the right place for me."
Link

I'd guess that his 2nd half of the season and Football Writers YPOTY win and PFA YPOTY nomination will give him a bit better leverage in that conversation now.

Fact is there's an increasing number of Scottish "talent" whose first choice is a move down to England as - to be crass about things - your league pays far better wages.

The example of the problem Celtic have at the moment is what happened with John McGinn last summer. There was a deal to be done, Rodgers wanted the player, Celtic had the money to pay for him: Hibs were asking around £4m but Celtic - being Celtic - continually low-balled (because it's what they do) on the assumption that Hibs would 'cave' and they'd get him on the cheap (around £1.5m I think).

In the end Villa came along and dropped a good deal that Hibs were happy to take and the player doubled the wages Celtic were offering. Hibs will now presumably coin it in if/when he moves on. Rodgers spat the dummy that he didn't get the player and bolted to Leicester as quickly as he could.

I'd guess that there's an element of "you can't lose if you don't play the game" around the reports Celtic seem to have fed that they won't get dragged into a "bidding war" re: Turnbull (that story is in the Scottish Sun if you want to read it but I won't link to it). The irony of course is that they're currently "bracing" themselves for a "bidding war" over Oliver Ntcham ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

If a club like yourselves (or any PL or Championship side) are genuinely interested in Turnbull then you're in a better position to pay a fee Motherwell will accept (the vast majority of Motherwell's transfer business is cross border btw they rarely sell to Rangers or Celtic) and offer a more attractive wage for the player.

Again, for what it's worth all the noises that have been coming out of Motherwell have been talking about Turnbull in relation to England.

It's a bit of a stretch but here's our (excellent) CEO Alan Burrows talking about Turnbull as a potential EPL player (his assessment in his original Tweet about Turnbull being a Rolls Royce of a player is spot on too).

Last edited:
In honesty, the only real appeal Celtic have (unless you're a fan of theirs) is that they pay "decent" money relatively speaking for the Scottish league and they offer the opportunity to be routinely humiliated in European competition. If getting bodied 5-0 and 7-1 by PSG and 7-0 by Barcelona is your thing then it's the ideal place for a player.

It's a "big" club absolutely but it's very much a platform to the Premier League now eg: Armstrong, VVD, Wanyama etc. If a player up here gets the chance to go direct to PL or Championship then why bother with that middle-step eg: Robertson.

Turnbull is very publicly a Motherwell fan. It's difficult for fans of Rangers and Celtic up here to comprehend that but he's been very vocal about Motherwell being the club he supports.

He's also a pretty switched on kid. There was interest from England (and possibly actual offers) at the turn of the year but he signed an extension with Motherwell because he wasn't convinced he wouldn't just get dumped into the u23s (Swansea and Southampton were being quoted with interest):

“There was interest from other clubs but it was always my intention to stay here. It was just about getting the 
right contract.
“The most important thing was getting more experience. I need that game time.
“English clubs were looking at me but I could go there and find myself sitting on the bench or playing U23 football so this is the right place for me."
Link

I'd guess that his 2nd half of the season and Football Writers YPOTY win and PFA YPOTY nomination will give him a bit better leverage in that conversation now.

Fact is there's an increasing number of Scottish "talent" whose first choice is a move down to England as - to be crass about things - your league pays far better wages.

The example of the problem Celtic have at the moment is what happened with John McGinn last summer. There was a deal to be done, Rodgers wanted the player, Celtic had the money to pay for him: Hibs were asking around £4m but Celtic - being Celtic - continually low-balled (because it's what they do) on the assumption that Hibs would 'cave' and they'd get him on the cheap (around £1.5m I think).

In the end Villa came along and dropped a good deal that Hibs were happy to take and the player doubled the wages Celtic were offering. Hibs will now presumably coin it in if/when he moves on. Rodgers spat the dummy that he didn't get the player and bolted to Leicester as quickly as he could.

I'd guess that there's an element of "you can't lose if you don't play the game" around the reports Celtic seem to have fed that they won't get dragged into a "bidding war" re: Turnbull (that story is in the Scottish Sun if you want to read it but I won't link to it). The irony of course is that they're currently "bracing" themselves for a "bidding war" over Oliver Ntcham ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

If a club like yourselves (or any PL or Championship side) are genuinely interested in Turnbull then you're in a better position to pay a fee Motherwell will accept (the vast majority of Motherwell's transfer business is cross border btw they rarely sell to Rangers or Celtic) and offer a more attractive wage for the player.

Again, for what it's worth all the noises that have been coming out of Motherwell have been talking about Turnbull in relation to England.

It's a bit of a stretch but here's our (excellent) CEO Alan Burrows talking about Turnbull as a potential EPL player (his assessment in his original Tweet about Turnbull being a Rolls Royce of a player is spot on too).

A couple of really good posts for us Bunkmoreland- perhaps you could become our regular Scottish Football reporter ?

Hmm, recent Scottish potential, where does he rank Fraser, Gauld, Burke,
Gauld looked amazing... he's still in Portugal isn't he?

Gauld's still technically a Sporting CP player but he's been loaned all over the shop. He spent the 2nd half of last season at Hibs and barely played. Actually, his Hibs debut was a 1-0 loss against Motherwell (Turnbull scored).

He managed 371 minutes in total during his loan spell, which is better than Ross McCormack's 88 minutes for Motherwell but still not great.

In terms of comparing Turnbull with Fraser, Gauld and Burke (if it's a serious question). They play different positions so you can't really compare like for like potential or otherwise.

I honestly can't remember seeing Fraser with Aberdeen so I'll opt out of making a comparison of potential there but Turnbull's less dynamic and explosive than either Fraser or Burke and has less "flair" than Gauld, who was very much a highlights reel player.

Gauld also only managed 7 league goals in 42 appearances for a fairly decent United side that included players like Andy Robertson and Stuart Armstrong. Turnbull doubled that in 32 appearances.

He's far more technical and a better footballer than someone like Burke and far more physical than Gauld (which in fairness isn't hard). At 6ft 1 has the potential to build his frame and fit into football at your level.

The description of Turnbull commonly used by Motherwell fans that is both ridiculous and weirdly accurate is that he looks like he's playing football in 'bullet-time' in The Matrix. Sounds daft but having watched him at u20s and first team level it's pretty accurate.

The game slows down around him, he'll drop a shoulder, slightly shift the ball and the game opens up. He's an elegant looking player on the ball. Acknowledging the difference in levels between the Scottish Premiership and Premier League he just strolls through games up here.

If he was to end up at Bournemouth for £3m then I'm fairly confident you would more than make your money back on him further down the line.

If pushed for a comparison in terms of Scottish "potential" you're probably talking more in the John McGinn / Stuart Armstrong bracket than the 3 mentioned above (IMO).

Last edited:
Was just thinking of the most recent players I recall being hyped quite a lot. Only just noticed that Burke appears now to have made the step up. I recalled him going to Germany and seemed to drop off the radar, and if I'm honest there was never much hype around Fraser anyway. Likely down to him playing in England so long

Was just thinking of the most recent players I recall being hyped quite a lot. Only just noticed that Burke appears now to have made the step up. I recalled him going to Germany and seemed to drop off the radar, and if I'm honest there was never much hype around Fraser anyway. Likely down to him playing in England so long

Ah, I get you.

I can't really blame Gauld for taking a chance on Sporting but from the brief amount I saw of him at Hibs last season the only development he's had since he's been there is a nice tan and continental hair.

Burke's weird, I don't think anyone really knows what to do with him. He's got all the physical attributes. They were talking about him as the new Bale at Forest but it seems he's just not very good at the fitba'.

Turnbull's the sort who with the right coaching and, crucially, a good development path could go on to be very good. The natural ability is there.

;