Diego Rico

Not bad statistics for a defender who's "not even League 1 standard"
If you read my post I actually said, ‘as a full back’ not league one standard. His interception rate and reading of the game has always been good, however he lacks literally every other ingredient you’d want in a modern day full back. As a left centre back in a three he is a top level championship player imo, problem is that this is a pretty niche position.

I'd be amazed if we got half that Al

To be honest, I have been impressed we have held out for a decent price on Danjuma (if the rumours are true)
At least we aren't accepting the first bid.
Maybe Lerma, Danjuma, & Rico will go. Let's hope we have a couple lined up to come in before the league season starts.
I can't remember the close season squad being in such a state of flux for a while now.

There are some absolutely dreadful takes on this thread. Very good player. The idea that he isn’t attack minded is a myth; he’s just a bit slow. One of the only players we’ve had that has always tried to look forward and play it up the pitch, sometimes to his own detriment lol. It’s not his fault that Danjuma ignored every single one of his forward runs last season. He gets the most assists out of most of our defenders each season, as well as topping many defensive stats; he is objectively not a **************** footballer is he.

Can be a little bit unreliable in possession- like every single player in the squad. He’s had plenty of stinkers but again so has everyone in our squad; that’s why we’re in the Championship. Has always been weirdly overhated by many on here; maybe it’s because he’s a “flashy” foreign import that hasn’t quite lived up to that. I feel like he’s bought into the club and has always put in 100%, and seems to be a very good dude.

Looked better in the Premier league (well, in his second season at least) than he did in the Championship, strangely enough. Likeable enough and would wish him luck, but if we can get a reasonable fee than no worries.
What ? He lost his looks when we got relegated ?.....:cool:

There are some absolutely dreadful takes on this thread. Very good player. The idea that he isn’t attack minded is a myth; he’s just a bit slow. One of the only players we’ve had that has always tried to look forward and play it up the pitch, sometimes to his own detriment lol. It’s not his fault that Danjuma ignored every single one of his forward runs last season. He gets the most assists out of most of our defenders each season, as well as topping many defensive stats; he is objectively not a **************** footballer is he.

Can be a little bit unreliable in possession- like every single player in the squad. He’s had plenty of stinkers but again so has everyone in our squad; that’s why we’re in the Championship. Has always been weirdly overhated by many on here; maybe it’s because he’s a “flashy” foreign import that hasn’t quite lived up to that. I feel like he’s bought into the club and has always put in 100%, and seems to be a very good dude.
I’m sorry but as a full back he is not up to it at this level. The reason Danjuma frequently ignored his overlapping runs is probably because he knew that Rico was almost certain to hit the first man. His crossing from open play is beyond woeful. He does occasionally have a decent set piece in him though. I’ve also never seen a modern full back so uncomfortable when carrying the ball. His positional play at full back was also erratic to say the least. He’s an awful full back imo. Very good as a left sided centre half in a three though.

Has this been quoted anywhere Waz, only you picked me up on the Scott Dann ‘daily star’ link and said I shouldn’t post anything unless it had concrete substance.

Pettiness and childlike behaviour aside though. I like Rico, I think he’s a decent player but we have Kelly, Smith and now Zemura who can play on the left. Probably a good move all round.

Yes, agree. Only thing I'did say is he's not a bad CH back up if we don't get another in. Played alright when he came on against Brentford all things considered. Has a decent free kick and corner in him too. Not quite fast enough to play effectively here as a wing back or full back I'd say. Sounds like this would be a good move for him. He's very close to his family I've read so with Covid restricting travel, can see why he'd be tempted by this move.

Some ridiculous critique on here over Rico IMO..his goal at Barnsley will always be a mem for me…yes not a PL full back but held his own in the championship in most games…to say he is one of Howe worst signings is over the top!

Or complimentary to Howe? Perhaps his signings weren't so bad after all...

One of those great moves for all concerned if it comes off. He was excellent in the Spanish league so good for Real. Good cash for us for someone that hasn’t always taken to English football. He is a top bloke and loved the club and gave 100% so deserves a move back closer to the family and brother he adores (if you follow him on Instagram).

One of those players like Gosling or Steve Fletcher who wasn’t as bad as his detractors made out nor as good as his fans made out!

All good with me.

To give him the crown of Howe’s worst ever signing is a bit of an insult to Iturbe, Ibe, Marc Wilson, Atsu, Solanke, Brad Smith, Tomlin, Murray, Joe Bennett, Grabban the second, Rantie and too many others to mention ;)

Or complimentary to Howe? Perhaps his signings weren't so bad after all...
certainly an odd one though as EH never seemed to trust him and even played 4 CBs across the back in one game simply to avoid putting him on. His crossing is very frustrating, sometimes brilliant,sometimes awful. I like him but none of the last 3managers seem to trust him as LB.

2019-20 season, Number of interceptions by a defender in the Premier League.
  1. Diego Rico (Bournemouth): 66
  2. Chris Basham (Sheffield United): 61
  3. Jan Bednarek (Southampton): 59
  4. Harry Maguire (Man United): 54
  5. Aaron Wan Bissaka (Man United): 53
https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/pl-the-case-for-the-defence/178752
The statistics quoted by EtV are even more favourable to Diego than you might think at first glance if you look at them in more detail. Chris Basham's 61 interceptions came in 38 games, Bednarek's 59 came in 34, Maguires 54 in 38, and Wan Bissaka's 53 came in 35 games.
In contrast Diego's 66 came in only 27 games, and some of those included appearances as a substitute, so not only did he have the absolute highest total, but his ratio of interceptions per game was also markedly better than the others, the only player to better an average of two per game. This all took place in a League crammed with top class players including many current internationals. From memory most of those appearances came at left back because for most of that season we played Cook and Ake centrally in a back four.
It seems to me that the art of interception is a very underrated and unappreciated attribute in a defender. It demonstrates a fine ability to read the game, great awareness, anticipation and speed of thought and movement to reach the ball ahead of opponents. An interception stops a move in its tracks and often puts the interceptors team immediately on the attack, whilst at the same time putting one or more opponents instantly out of the game, setting them on the back foot and making it difficult for them to get back in the game. We all like to see our players win the ball with crunching tackles, but doing so through interceptions instead is much more effective, and lessens the risk of injury to the player, and to me is the hallmark of a fine defender.
The ability to make many significant interceptions has always seemed to me to be one of the greatest assets that a defender can have and one which is of great value to his team, as the great Bobby Moore demonstrated so beautifully and effectively.
These figures indicate to me that Diego is a far better player than many on here give him credit for irrespective of which position you think is his best.

;