Diego Rico

Reports in Spain that he’s due to sign for them. If we’ve managed to get any kind of decent fee then we’ve played an absolute blinder, as a full back I don’t think he’s even league one standard. Very good as a left centre back in a three, but we are very unlikely to play that imo.
Good hair though

Looked better in the Premier league (well, in his second season at least) than he did in the Championship, strangely enough. Likeable enough and would wish him luck, but if we can get a reasonable fee than no worries.

It really never clicked for him here, no idea why. I agree with Waz that he turned out to be a poor signing for quite a lot of money. By all accounts a nice guy though and never seemed to lack effort. If we can get some of our money back and get his wages off of the books, we will have done well.

I would wish him all the best for the future, shame it never worked out for him here. Maybe English football just never suited his attributes ?

Reports in Spain that he’s due to sign for them. If we’ve managed to get any kind of decent fee then we’ve played an absolute blinder, as a full back I don’t think he’s even league one standard. Very good as a left centre back in a three, but we are very unlikely to play that imo.

Has this been quoted anywhere Waz, only you picked me up on the Scott Dann ‘daily star’ link and said I shouldn’t post anything unless it had concrete substance.

Pettiness and childlike behaviour aside though. I like Rico, I think he’s a decent player but we have Kelly, Smith and now Zemura who can play on the left. Probably a good move all round.

2019-20 season, Number of interceptions by a defender in the Premier League.
  1. Diego Rico (Bournemouth): 66
  2. Chris Basham (Sheffield United): 61
  3. Jan Bednarek (Southampton): 59
  4. Harry Maguire (Man United): 54
  5. Aaron Wan Bissaka (Man United): 53
https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/pl-the-case-for-the-defence/178752
Absolutely superb as a left sided CB in a 3..... moderate as a LB and an atrocious wing back....... really enjoyed watching him in that back 3 under Tindall tbf.

He's not exactly suited to the Championship.
Done ok in patches here, can see why we went for him, he's got plenty of good ingredients. Although missing consistency and never quite seemed settled here.

If we can recoup most of what we paid 3 years ago, that would be a reasonable deal after amortisation.

Personally, think he has been absolutely dreadful. Marcos Painter level bad. Was a total liability by the end. Hope we can move him on. If we get what we paid back for him that would be amazing. No idea what games Real Sociadad have watched him in to think he is worth a punt.

Not bad statistics for a defender who's "not even League 1 standard"

quite surprised and fair play to him for that. how many times did his performances warrant 8 out 10. 7 seemed to be the ceiling, but more common to get a 6 out 10 off him.

Absolutely superb as a left sided CB in a 3..... moderate as a LB and an atrocious wing back....... really enjoyed watching him in that back 3 under Tindall tbf.
Agree, he was the one player who really flourished in that system. He reads the game well for sure, problem arises when he has the ball at his feet.

;