Dominic Solanke

In fairness to Neil, if we go with Transfermarkt, he’s not far off if he’s talking Euros.

Usually Neil has higher rate of inflation than Kwasi Kwarteng, this time he’s been fairly accurate.
With respect. You have used the letter 'i' eight times in your comment. Does this mean you will be putting yourself forward for a two week ban for spamming and or, repeating yourself.

Kindest regards

Also rude. Changing peoples posts from what they wrote. Why not write your own opinions? Probably because you don’t want people finding them in five years time so best not to have one and just critique others…..

Tbf doesn't take a genius or 'evidence' to have sound insight into your outlook on this topic, if they've been reading the board for the past few years. And draw certain conclusions.

There's always going to be hits/misses at all clubs. I'd say Hughes/our ratio has been pretty good. Look where we are in tge table and current trajectory.

Look at wastage at other clubs... man u?

Some of thr players havent even played much or bedded in settled/reaches potential.

Difference is some of us aren't determined to write them off/declare them waste of money yet.

May be wrong but given your outlook and from what I can recall 'feel' of your posts, you've clearky always had an issue with hughes, and seem determined to paint him as inept/out of his depth, at all costs. Despite overall evidence proving to the contrary.. For nost fans anyway.

It feels very close to trolling tbh.even if we'd won tge lleague with him here, I'd half expect you to claim it inspite of him, and you'd elect to home in the odd few signings that didn't settle, saying what a waste, rstger than give him credit for being part of a title winning machine:D.

Last edited:
We all know the club need to take a risk on players at this level, some will make it, some won't and we're probably seeing that playing out . £20 million in the PL is nothing, we need to shake off this 'small club mentality' (where have I heard that before:hmmm:)

I'd agree we've overspent in some areas but prefer to look at the bigger picture ie league position and the future worth of those signings who'll develop big time if we're talking about balancing the books.

Apparently the books are in decent shape so that argument can be kicked into touch for the time being ( I notice FFP hasn't been used as a tool to beat Hughes with since the accounts were published)

Are we going to argue the toss about every Hughes signing until every last one of them has gone just to prove a point?

Still no one has answered my question: how can we have recruited badly relative to what we’ve spent, if clubs who finished bellow us (and clubs who got relegated) spent more? Surely you can only make this argument if there were clubs above us with lower squad values/wage budgets…

As far as I’m aware, only one club finished above us last year year who had a lower value squad/wage bill, Brentford. We are probably going to finish above them this year. There are many below us right now who have higher budgets. Make it make sense???

Correct. Traore was never given a chance or indeed, a chance to adapt.
How do you know this exactly?

He'd been here for a year. I'd say that's a reasonable amount of time for the staff to assess his suitability. IE how well has he adapted to general life over here, are his qualities as a player what we're looking for (baring in mind he's likely one of higher earners). Does he character/personality gel with rest of squad?

I'm sure we've all worked with people that you can guage well within that time if they're going to 'fit' or not.

I'd love to see him step up and deliver for us next year, as I think ability wise he's a very good player... uncertainity is around if his attributes suit English game, and potentially (I guess of course...) how well he's settled into England, lifestylewise.

I'd be amazed if he did break into squad next year. More likely he'll move, either permanently, or another loan deal.

How do you know this exactly?

He'd been here for a year. I'd say that's a reasonable amount of time for the staff to assess his suitability. IE how well has he adapted to general life over here, are his qualities as a player what we're looking for (baring in mind he's likely one of higher earners). Does he character/personality gel with rest of squad?

I'm sure we've all worked with people that you can guage well within that time if they're going to 'fit' or not.

I'd love to see him step up and deliver for us next year, as I think ability wise he's a very good player... uncertainity is around if his attributes suit English game, and potentially (I guess of course...) how well he's settled into England, lifestylewise.

I'd be amazed if he did break into squad next year. More likely he'll move, either permanently, or another loan deal.
Traore actually had his moments last season in his limited minutes. I honestly believe had GON stayed then he’d have been one of the first names on the team sheet, along with Brooks. Both unfortunately just don’t possess the physical attributes to play the specific style of our new manager, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re bad players. Players can’t always adapt if they don’t have the attributes required, he tried Traore as a ten a few times earlier in the season and the whole press fell apart as he just can’t press with intensity. The solution would be not to press when he’s on the pitch, but it’s not the Iraola way. If you can’t press comfortably then you don’t play under him, no matter how talented.

Traore actually had his moments last season in his limited minutes. I honestly believe had GON stayed then he’d have been one of the first names on the team sheet, along with Brooks. Both unfortunately just don’t possess the physical attributes to play the specific style of our new manager, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re bad players. Players can’t always adapt if they don’t have the attributes required, he tried Traore as a ten a few times earlier in the season and the whole press fell apart as he just can’t press with intensity. The solution would be not to press when he’s on the pitch, but it’s not the Iraola way. If you can’t press comfortably then you don’t play under him, no matter how talented.

Yes agree. Neither are particularly quick, strong or high workrate defensively... too 'luxury' like for want of a better term in AI's setup.

Traore is meant to be highly, technical, agile, clever player, as I guess Brooks is too, over pace/strength which AI values.

Both very good players. Question marks over Brooks long term of course now, due to his serious illness. But Traore has qualities/potential to be a very good player at highest, or close to, levels in Europe imo.

Yes agree. Neither are particularly quick, strong or high workrate defensively... too 'luxury' like for want of a better term in AI's setup.

Traore is meant to be highly, technical, agile, clever player, as I guess Brooks is too, over pace/strength which AI values.

Both very good players. Question marks over Brooks long term of course now, due to his serious illness. But Traore has qualities/potential to be a very good player at highest, or close to, levels in Europe imo.
The fact that he ended up at Napoli shows that he’s a gifted player, in the right system that suited him I think he’d do well here.

I’d love to be wrong, but the more time that passes the more I’m convinced that Brooks is actually a championship level player now. It’s incredibly sad if injury and illness have robbed him of a career that was destined right for the top, but I think the harsh reality is that he might not be quite up to the top flight anymore. Have tried to watch Saints when they’ve been on tv to see him in action, he’s been alright for them but not really stood out even at that level. It’s literally the perfect possession based open style for him to thrive in too.

The fact that he ended up at Napoli shows that he’s a gifted player, in the right system that suited him I think he’d do well here.

I’d love to be wrong, but the more time that passes the more I’m convinced that Brooks is actually a championship level player now. It’s incredibly sad if injury and illness have robbed him of a career that was destined right for the top, but I think the harsh reality is that he might not be quite up to the top flight anymore. Have tried to watch Saints when they’ve been on tv to see him in action, he’s been alright for them but not really stood out even at that level. It’s literally the perfect possession based open style for him to thrive in too.
Saints fans general opinion of brooks is they don't rate him at all.

According to afcb fan I know who spent some time on their forum yesterday.

My opinion prior to loan was he's championship at best these days. Always unlikely he'd return from such serious illness tge player he was/coukd have been imo.

Tbdon't think it's just esn't take a genius or 'evidence' to have sound insight into your outlook on this topic, if they've been reading the board for the past few years. And draw certain conclusions.

There's always going to be hits/misses at all clubs. I'd say Hughes/our ratio has been pretty good. Look where we are in tge table and current trajectory.

Look at wastage at other clubs... man u?

Some of thr players havent even played much or bedded in settled/reaches potential.

Difference is some of us aren't determined to write them off/declare them waste of money yet.

May be wrong but given your outlook and from what I can recall 'feel' of your posts, you've clearky always had an issue with hughes, and seem determined to paint him as inept/out of his depth, at all costs. Despite overall evidence proving to the contrary.. For nost fans anyway.

It feels very close to trolling tbh.even if we'd won tge lleague with him here, I'd half expect you to claim it inspite of him, and you'd elect to home in the odd few signings that didn't settle, saying what a waste, rstger than give him credit for being part of a title winning machine:D.
I don't think it's just Dawson. I think it's about egos and not wanting to have been wrong. People have invested so much argument into their points, that it's hard to back down. But, we're humans, which means we're sometimes ridiculous. It would save us some grief if we could just accept that and laugh about it rather than having to pick out evidence to reinforce our points and leave out the evidence that contradicts points. It's okay to have been wrong and okay to admit it. We all do it in some ways. Dawson does it with Hughes.

Neil is almost certainly not wrong about Hughes.

This will 'come to light' ..as we shift through time.....
...many ex- players don't actually know wtf they are doing for the greater part....and are getting paid vast sums of Money by others that know little about Football but have that Money to chuck at it...sometimes, by luck mainly, it works.

How are Lorient doing ?..Just asking...just asking ...d'you know whut ah mean ?

What's Mr Denim doing now ?

You see....these are the themes you can be looking at ..into....deeper

Neil is almost certainly not wrong about Hughes.

This will 'come to light' ..as we shift through time.....
...many ex- players don't actually know wtf they are doing for the greater part....and are getting paid vast sums of Money by others that know little about Football but have that Money to chuck at it...sometimes, by luck mainly, it works.

How are Lorient doing ?..Just asking...just asking ...d'you know whut ah mean ?

What's Mr Denim doing now ?

You see....these are the themes you can be looking at ..into....deeper
So from what you have said it looks like Liverpool have got it all wrong in appointing him then?

;