Dominic Solanke

Yes, could totally see why Defoe had to go, never had an issue with that, it was not replacing him that was the problem. Defoe, Afobe and Mousset were not world beating players but they had more chance at that time of scoring than Dom did and I believe that cost us.

Your timeline is skewed, we weren’t relegated for 18 months after Solanke was signed.

What “cost us” would be our form during operation restart, a period of time when Solanke scored 3 open play goals, more than anyone else in the team.

Not sure why you need your usual hyperbole driven personal attack bit at the start. I’m only talking about this because you brought it up five years later (any agendas here are your ongoing obsession with me)

I’m just defending my position taken at a moment in time that two strikers who had undoubtedly scored more goals at the time shouldn’t have been allowed to leave without a replacement that could score at that time. You cannot deny any of that is fact unless you are questioning real evidence. It’s only this year that Solanke has beaten Moussets 2019 goal tally in the prem for Sheff U, he couldn’t even manage it last year.

You can try and turn this into an argument about how Solanke is this season v Moussets career disappearance as much as you like but it’s easy to see through this and why you are doing it.

I assume you are referring to my ‘agenda’ with Hughes but I’ve made it very clear many times that he had little to do with comings and goings in those days and in my head this one was on Eddie.

My agenda is my obsession with AFCB. I support the club and like to try and see the good in the players and staff where I can. I only pick up on what you say so much because you are so unnecessarily critical of the club in my opinion, and it is constant. I agree it's not just limited to Hughes' time it's something you've done for a long time. Of course you are entitled to see the club as something that constantly lets you down if you like but when you use selective evidence and bend the truth to try and 'prove' how **************** the club is it's going to lead to backlash for happy clappers like me.

As for it being a statistical fact that Defoe was a better bet than Solanke at that point in time? What an brilliant example of you bending over backwards to slag the club off. He hated the manager, wouldn't do what he said, hardly featured and was let go. Mousset has had one purple patch in his entire career that lasted a couple of months where he scored five goals.

Slagging the Solanke signing because he didn't start on fire when we had two proven PL goalscorers ahead of him, who also had terrible seasons, is pretty low tbf. It's the same story now with you slagging the current squad off and saying that Lerma was better... I'm looking at the league table and wondering how you manage to be so disappointed by the club you support all of the time.

Your timeline is skewed, we weren’t relegated for 18 months after Solanke was signed.

What “cost us” would be our form during operation restart, a period of time when Solanke scored 3 open play goals, more than anyone else in the team.

Our entire squad was terrible that year including unfortunately the manager and he's pinning relegation on the new signing, who went on to be our best ever striker? You could list ten underperforming established players whose form nosedived and apparently Solanke should have somehow been able to buck that trend?

My agenda is my obsession with AFCB. I support the club and like to try and see the good in the players and staff where I can. I only pick up on what you say so much because you are so unnecessarily critical of the club in my opinion, and it is constant. I agree it's not just limited to Hughes' time it's something you've done for a long time. Of course you are entitled to see the club as something that constantly lets you down if you like but when you use selective evidence and bend the truth to try and 'prove' how **************** the club is it's going to lead to backlash for happy clappers like me.

As for it being a statistical fact that Defoe was a better bet than Solanke at that point in time? What an brilliant example of you bending over backwards to slag the club off. He hated the manager, wouldn't do what he said, hardly featured and was let go. Mousset has had one purple patch in his entire career that lasted a couple of months where he scored five goals.

Slagging the Solanke signing because he didn't start on fire when we had two proven PL goalscorers ahead of him, who also had terrible seasons, is pretty low tbf. It's the same story now with you slagging the current squad off and saying that Lerma was better... I'm looking at the league table and wondering how you manage to be so disappointed by the club you support all of the time.
You’re just trying to wind me up now I assume with this ridiculously OTT post.

I didn’t say we should have kept Defoe. I said we didn’t replace him. We had always had a Defoe, Murray, Afobe, Mousset style back up to King and Wilson. The season we went down at the time we were having these arguments has never scored in the PL for us in 30 odd games and had scored once for Liverpool in 20 odd games and was coming on and missing chance after chance for us. That was the context.

To answer your other post he wasn’t the sole reason we down there were many factors all of which if individually corrected would have been one point difference…. Including turning goal line tech on!

If we sell for 50m we are grade A mugs, anything south of 60 and we’ve had our pants down. Should really be holding firm for 70. Our ability to progress as a club depends heavily on us getting the prices that WE want for our players.
You’re just making up numbers in the hope you can be proved right.

You’re just trying to wind me up now I assume with this ridiculously OTT post.

I didn’t say we should have kept Defoe. I said we didn’t replace him. We had always had a Defoe, Murray, Afobe, Mousset style back up to King and Wilson. The season we went down at the time we were having these arguments has never scored in the PL for us in 30 odd games and had scored once for Liverpool in 20 odd games and was coming on and missing chance after chance for us. That was the context.

To answer your other post he wasn’t the sole reason we down there were many factors all of which if individually corrected would have been one point difference…. Including turning goal line tech on!

He didn't perform in a side where nobody performed. You reckon Mousett or Defoe or anyone else would have done better because you always think some unnamed other player/manager could do better.

Can you please define how “at that time” actually means what he did the season afterwards at a different clubYes. Solanke scored his first goal in our relegation season on the 67th min of match day 35 out of 38. Long after we were deep in the shit. He went over 50

Yes. Solanke scored his first goal in our relegation season on the 67th min of match day 35 out of 38. Long after we were deep in the shit. He went over 50 top flight games with just one goal (and none for us)

Mousset had scored 6 goals by that point in the season including the winner against Arsenal and a display where he took apart Man U. Me and Del had several discussions on it including one where we lost to Palace and he did that keyboard bully thing of offering someone out.

I sympathise with anyone having to relive all of this and remember back but it’s not my doing. It was a conversation five years ago and nothing obviously related to what has occurred since!

Last edited:
Yes. Solanke scored his first goal in our relegation season on the 67th min of match day 35 out of 38. Long after we were deep in the shit. He went over 50 top flight games with just one goal (and none for us)

Mousset had scored 6 goals by that point including the winner against Arsenal and a display where he took apart Man U. Me and Del had several discussions on it including one where we lost to Palace and he did that keyboard bully thing of offering someone out.

I sympathise with anyone having to relive all of this and remember back but it’s not my doing. It was a conversation five years ago and nothing obviously related to what has occurred since!

We made a decision “at that time” but you’re talking about a season later?

“At that time” would be the 3 goals in 3 years, not what he did afterwards during a purple patch for a different team.

“At that time” would be the 3 goals in 3 years, not what he did afterwards during a purple patch for a different team.
Oh but it does if it supports the argument, but the facts are Mousset scored 3 for is in 3 seasons, which is a shocking return, and his slightly mauve patch when at another team, a whopping 6, never to be repeated.
Whilst Dom got 9 in his first 3 prem seasons for us.

Mousset had scored 6 goals by that point including the winner against Arsenal and a display where he took apart Man U. Me and Del had several discussions on it including one where we lost to Palace and he did that keyboard bully thing of offering someone out.
I am not getting involved the the overall discussion about who was the better bet at the time, but just a quick point, I believe Ibe scored the winner against Arsenal. I remember Mousset did get a last minute winner against Stoke that same season where we won 2-1 after being a goal down. Also remember Mousset did cause some of the big boys problems, you mentioned the Utd game, he also pl;ayed well against City in the famous 'Mike Dean' moment game.

I am not getting involved the the overall discussion about who was the better bet at the time, but just a quick point, I believe Ibe scored the winner against Arsenal. I remember Mousset did get a last minute winner against Stoke that same season where we won 2-1 after being a goal down. Also remember Mousset did cause some of the big boys problems, you mentioned the Utd game, he also pl;ayed well against City in the famous 'Mike Dean' moment game.
He got a consolation goal against Arsenal

I'm referring to the stint at Sheff Utd for his winner against Arsenal and performance against Man U. Yes he did also score against Arsenal for us.

Mousset was no world beater but at the time i was having the discussion he'd scored 9 PL goals and Solanke had never scored for us.

Yes - but the 6 goals he scored for a different team justified the argument that he was more likely to score at that time than Dom - who still hadn't scored any.

Oh but it does if it supports the argument, but the facts are Mousset scored 3 for is in 3 seasons, which is a shocking return, and his slightly mauve patch when at another team, a whopping 6, never to be repeated.
Whilst Dom got 9 in his first 3 prem seasons for us.
You are right. 6 goals in a PL season doesn't make someone the next Alan Shearer but......... that wasn't what was being argued. It was about who was more likely to come on and grab a goal, we'd always had players who could do that (Murray, Afobe, Defoe, Mousset) apart from critically in that last season where we hung our hat on someone who hadn't figured it out... and indeed has never beaten Moussets 'mauve patch' of a 6 goal Premier League season until this year.

I'm referring to the stint at Sheff Utd for his winner against Arsenal and performance against Man U. Yes he did also score against Arsenal for us.

Mousset was no world beater but at the time i was having the discussion he'd scored 9 PL goals and Solanke had never scored for us.
Maybe he just likes playing against Arsenal :D

Yes - but the 6 goals he scored for a different team justified the argument that he was more likely to score at that time than Dom - who still hadn't scored any.

Well sure, but we’re now allowing to count Mousset’s tally over 4 years whilst we draw a line at Solanke after 6 months…

Ah fair enough - I stand corrected. As I said I am not getting involved in that one, but I also thought Mousset did ok for us 'at that time'. :)

You are right. 6 goals in a PL season doesn't make someone the next Alan Shearer but......... that wasn't what was being argued. It was about who was more likely to come on and grab a goal, we'd always had players who could do that (Murray, Afobe, Defoe, Mousset) apart from critically in that last season where we hung our hat on someone who hadn't figured it out... and indeed has never beaten Moussets 'mauve patch' of a 6 goal Premier League season until this year.
Yes but your argument is that we got rid of Mousset to replace with Dom, this decision was made before his golden boot performance at sheff utd, the decision was made based on 3 goals in 3 seasons. Based on that hardly a difficult decision to take the £10m on offer. We ended up with a younger guy with a 100 times better attitude.

;