End of season clear out

Garbo - 19/3/2018 12:05

...forgot Gradel who will probably end up at Leeds United I reckon..

i just hope that Eddie can forge the same team spirit with anyone new who comes in, that is our collective strength...not individual 'stars' or anyone looking for a payday with a PL club?

He is very careful to maintain that team spirit and it could just be a player who looks good, might not fit the former criteria.

hi all,

just found out the harry arter academy he set up is now the simon frances academy,

so does this mean our number 8 is gone in the summer? he hasnt been near the team. and if we were to loose lewis because of interest in him that the world cup could bring. we'd need two new midfielders. could be difficult to replace them both!

retrozulu - 19/3/2018 12:11

hi all,

just found out the harry arter academy he set up is now the simon frances academy,

so does this mean our number 8 is gone in the summer? he hasnt been near the team. and if we were to loose lewis because of interest in him that the world cup could bring. we'd need two new midfielders. could be difficult to replace them both!

When I read the article, believe Simon Francis said that Harry wants to spend more time with his family.

yesyescherry - 19/3/2018 10:07

eh doesn’t do clear outs

Absolutely. Eddie will never do this 'night of the long knives' type change. It is just not his style. Makes me wonder if these posters actually understand the guy.

He will bring in two or three players and fingers crossed that they suit Eddie so much he will actually play them in the first team.

A key ingredient of our success is intensity of preparation in training and togetherness of the team thus likes of Pugh, surman and other stalwarts go far beyond what happens in the 90 mins of match day (or 97 depending on certain refs). Thus vital we retain these squad players. Hope this includes arter but maybe he needs/wants a change?

There are some fringe players who should go and hope afobe gradel and grabban get decent transfer fees of c£20m combined to fund two decent additions.

Chris2001 - 19/3/2018 12:47

eh doesn’t do clear outs

Absolutely. Eddie will never do this 'night of the long knives' type change. It is just not his style. Makes me wonder if these posters actually understand the guy.

He will bring in two or three players and fingers crossed that they suit Eddie so much he will actually play them in the first team.

This true , but whoever he buys will need to be able to go straight into the first team as we need to step up a level next season.

https://twitter.com/talkLATCH/status/975688176273690629

Well that's one less. Still under contract here, bit disrespectful.

OLDSKOOL - 19/3/2018 13:05

Chris2001 - 19/3/2018 12:47

eh doesn’t do clear outs

This true , but whoever he buys will need to be able to go straight into the first team as we need to step up a level next season.

And what level is that?

Not worried about relegation in March is the next level DJ. Eddie is very much aiming at this...the Burnley and Leicester level.

Neil Dawson - 19/3/2018 13:33

Not worried about relegation in March is the next level DJ. Eddie is very much aiming at this...the Burnley and Leicester level.

So not worrying about relegation after winning the Premier League and reaching knock out stages of the European Cup? Got it.

Incoming .... Mepham and Watkins (Brentford), and I'd go to Udders (especially if they go down) for Alex Pritchard (ball-grabbing midfielder etc etc).

Brad Smith - in every performance in our first team he's been so far off the pace as to be embarrassing. I guess Eddie signed him on the basis of an excellent showing for Liverpool at DC against us a couple of seasons back. In red and black he's been shocking. Out on long-term loan at least.

Jack Simpson - if we're looking safe by next month surely he needs a run-out in a couple of games? He was superb in the Carabao Cup game at Chelsea - solid, cool and with nice precise passing..

For me the 'next level' would be attaining a bit more consistency in the league. Our first half of the season was pretty worrying. We've always been a bit streaky since promotion, runs of defeats and runs of wins strung together. Our current habit of going behind and waking up and pulling results back is great entertainment, but again some consistency instead would be a measure of progress.

However I appreciate that blooding new talent into the side is bound to result in inconsistency. If we're now starting to settle on a new core: Begovic, Ake, S.Cook. L.Cook, and the new variables are wide and up front, maybe that will settle things down a little.

Also giving the cups more of a go, has to be on the club's priority list whilst we're enjoying such status in the game. That's something that a deeper squad, better reserves, brought about by more experience at this level and better facilities, should help with.

North Stand Marks last para in post 3 must be the most important.

Keep Nathan and Lewis, plus a new LB CB and CM - easier said than done, but that's the top priorities.

Identifying and signing similar quality players to the two above would be great.

As stated there's quite a few players we could ship out but they've got to want to go, be wanted and be replaced - again easier said than done.

I think quite a few of the old guard will be retained as squad cover - low maintenance players towards the end of their career who can do a job when called on. But there are a few players on whom a decision needs to be made as to whether they are improving/on the right track - Ibe, Mousset, Hyndburn and even Fraser, and can play a part in our future.

Oh and what to do with Jermaine? Is he the right type of striker for us or should we do what we did with Murray and let him go to do a job elsewhere?

It's not made easier by the fact we are so inconsistent, and I challenge anyone to name or best starting eleven or even system.

Grumpy G - 19/3/2018 15:10

It's not made easier by the fact we are so inconsistent, and I challenge anyone to name or best starting eleven or even system.

This was a big problem at the start of this season, and last season.

Eddie clearly likes 4-4-2 (or variants thereof) as we've played it so often throughout his managerial career. But the players we have at this point probably favour other systems. See our sudden improvement pretty much any time we play something like 3-4-3.

Now the question will be, does Eddie look to adjust the squad to match 4-4-2, or does he continue looking at alterative systems which are becoming increasingly popular in modern football.

Whatever we decide to do, hopefully we'll at least be able to start August with a slightly firmer idea of how we line up. And thus not spend the first three months of the season getting beat pretty much every week.

Last year, the three players that were sought - Ake, Begovic and Defoe - were identified early in the summer and were secured. For me, those three signings and retaining the existing squad - especially Josh - were a stellar outcome.

It will be trickier this year for sure, much depending on who stays and (sadly) who goes. Per Grumpy, we will need the depth especially if we want to compete in cups, and Surman, Francis, Gosling, Arter(?), would fit as long as they are content to do so. What of Boruc? Pugh(?).

It has been said that Eddie Howe is an expert at man-management, so it is unlikely that he would bring in a talented malcontent. Players available could also depend on which teams get relegated, we have some good young players in the pipeline and we would probably be served well by some additional veteran leadership (25-28 y.o). I did see something about a young player from Norwich Union as well (Morrison?) who looked really good in a highlight reel, but those can be misleading. It will be an interesting summer.

...I doubt it Jones was a footballing thug in the same crew as Roy Keane, Norman Hunter,Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, and Terry Hurlock!

Red Sky - 19/3/2018 09:40

People think that by clearing out players from the squad we will automatically attract better players. We’re just not going to be able to compete for the very best players in the country unless we are taking risks that other clubs are unwilling to take. Part of that is attracting ‘the next generation’ as you say but younger players need years to hone their skills alongside more experienced counterparts.

I don't get this statement,Burnley ,Huddersfield and Brighton have all managed to bring in good Premier League quality players fir not a lot of money just by being canny in the transfer market and taking a gamble in the foreign market.

You aren't going to tell me playing and living in Huddersfield or Burnley is a better proposition than Bournemouth?

In my opinion a massive clearout is needed,I think we could get six out and bring in six,I really can't see this squad lasting another season in this league if we don't start making that transition.

;