Enes Unal

Great to see Unal scoring already.

Given that the press has dropped in the last couple of weeks and the poor run of form from Tav, I was thinking that I’d like to see the following start:

Semenyo -RW
Kluivert or Dango -LW
Unal & Solanke - double CF

Thoughts?

Given that the press has dropped in the last couple of weeks and the poor run of form from Tav, I was thinking that I’d like to see the following start:

Semenyo -RW
Kluivert or Dango -LW

Thoughts?
As I've mentioned previously I do like the idea of Unal and Solanke up top, they do however need to work out what each other is doing.

One needs to be left, one needs to be right, vis-a-vis.

Just like the wingers they can swap and change it up.

Every time I've seen them together on the pitch so far, they seem to get in each other's way a bit.

If Solanke is off, and it's most likely he is, for FFP reasons then we need to start using Unal a bit better.

It's a double edged sword.....play Solanke into 20 goals and squeeze an extra 5 million out of him at the expense of Unal or not.

However, Enes Unal is a good striker, but he can't do what Dom does all day long.

Pretty sure Solanke is off next season though as we need to balance the books, so we probably need to play around Unal, rather than Dom.

Semenyo -RW
Kluivert or Dango -LW

Thoughts?

Just like when we’ve had Billing as the 10, in this system, the players become too isolated. The press doesn’t work as well either.

Unless we want to go back to Solanke being the work horse number 10 who scores less goals I don’t see it.

Probably trying a little bit too hard and needs to relax a bit.

Him and Solanke need to player wider apart to pull opposition out of position.

Beautiful ball for the winning (semenyo) assist.

Probably should have scored 1, given his chances, but after such a long lay off, looks a positive signing, hopefully to be made permanent.

Can see him being our main striker, as we surely have to sell one of our assets to meet FFP rules.

One of Solanke, Zabarnyi and possibly Kerkez (but can't see a bigger club coming in for a player who doesn't start over Outtara) and Semenyo.

Hopefully Traore starts banging them in and gets purchased.

We still do need additions, rather than subtraction if we are serious about being a top half team next season.

Had two great chances to score last night.

Neither made the extended sky highlights edit though so haven’t seen them again. Usually those chances would be worthy of a couple of replays from different angles, but I guess last nights game they struggled to fit everything in the second half in…

Looks like a quality signing, never stops running and an absolute handful to defend against. Yes he should have scored but his overall impact on the game played a huge part in getting us the win. Also looks like he will press from the front all day long. Should start with Dom against Everton imo.

I think there are a few signings where it may not have been solely Hughes. The Roma link and obviously the Lorient link are through Foley and you'd think it may be a case of take your pick from these available players. The Roma owner even tried to force Zaniolo to move to AFCB.

I've said before but I think this injury thing is a deliberate Moneyball type strategy and if it is you'd think Foley was behind that too given how it's not something we did before he arrived. Clearly injured players are cheaper because of the risk and if you get it right you are quids in. Risky though.
Unal is another example

Don’t want to see Scott in the ten, he doesn’t look comfortable there at all.

Hopefully we will see more of the Dom and Unal partnership that looked so dangerous against Luton.

Unal looks quality. Different kind of striker to what I can recall us having before??

Very silky, clearly top flight level finisher/knack of being in right place at right time.

Just looked him up on Fm24 - I know, its just a game. But yes, technique, agility, finishing his strengths...

Sort of player that people may wonder about as not explosive, fast, or obviously strong, but always liable to crop in right place at right time. Good strength for diminutive frame...

Not quick at all, but not a sloth. Decent strength/agility though, that no doubt causes problems for some CB's.... his 'unique selling point' almost. Unusual combo tbh, as players tend to be bigger/stronger or more slight and agile (think Messi as 20 agility...).\

Coupled with 15 finishing and 14 composure, can see why he's likely to score frequently. Defo PL level striker with those stats, amd can see why he was so effective in La Liga, and why City had him on the books.... but not quite good enough to make grade at elite club.

1711285910424.png

Last edited:
Unal looks quality. Different kind of striker to what I can recall us having before??

Very silky, clearly top flight level finisher/knack of being in right place at right time.

Just looked him up on Fm24 - I know, its just a game. But yes, technique, agility, finishing his strengths...

Sort of player that people may wonder about as not explosive, fast, or obviously strong, but always liable to crop in right place at right time. Good strength for diminutive frame...

Not quick at all, but not a sloth. Decent strength/agility though, that no doubt causes problems for some CB's.... his 'unique selling point' almost. Unusual combo tbh, as players tend to be bigger/stronger or more slight and agile (think Messi as 20 agility...).\

Coupled with 15 finishing and 14 composure, can see why he's likely to score frequently. Defo PL level striker with those stats, amd can see why he was so effective in La Liga, and why City had him on the books.... but not quite good enough to make grade at elite club.

View attachment 13645
Looking at his highlights he very much seems like a striker who can score all kinds of goals.

His goal returns of 14 and 16 in the last couple of seasons are impressive on their own, but even more impressive when you consider the standard of side he was playing for. In both of these seasons he contributed to around half of Getafe’s entire goal total, and exceeded his XG in both seasons. In other words he was able to hit double figures in both seasons despite playing for a side who struggled to create chances. We’ve already seen what a threat he can be, could have had a few more goals already despite playing very limited minutes. Surprised people aren’t more excited by his signing, we don’t attract many players with his pedigree in their prime.

And yeh you are spot on when you say he’s a different type of striker.

Just hope people don’t rush to judge him for not having the same type of attributes as a Solanke or a Wilson. He doesn’t have electrifying pace and although he does possess an exceptional work rate and will run the channels, he won’t pose the same threat of getting in behind the back line as Dom does.

What he will offer outside the penalty area is an outlet to play the ball up to and he will hold it up and link play. Like you say, he is very much a penalty box striker who relies on intelligent movement to get chances. His goal against Sheffield United was a great example of that. During that game there were people around me who were already bemoaning him for his ‘lack of contribution.’ I do hope that people are able to understand that he isn’t necessarily going to be the ‘all action’ type of forward that we are accustomed to. He’s more of a throwback to a time when a striker was judged solely on what they did in the opposition box, he’s not a ‘complete’ or rounded forward like Dom or Wilson.

And yeh you are spot on when you say he’s a different type of striker.

Just hope people don’t rush to judge him for not having the same type of attributes as a Solanke or a Wilson. He doesn’t have electrifying pace and although he does possess an exceptional work rate and will run the channels, he won’t pose the same threat of getting in behind the back line as Dom does.

What he will offer outside the penalty area is an outlet to play the ball up to and he will hold it up and link play. Like you say, he is very much a penalty box striker who relies on intelligent movement to get chances. His goal against Sheffield United was a great example of that. During that game there were people around me who were already bemoaning him for his ‘lack of contribution.’ I do hope that people are able to understand that he isn’t necessarily going to be the ‘all action’ type of forward that we are accustomed to. He’s more of a throwback to a time when a striker was judged solely on what they did in the opposition box, he’s not a ‘complete’ or rounded forward like Dom or Wilson.

Exactly! As he's already demonstrated, in the area he appears to have knack of being in right place frequently. Thats what he's about imo.Appears to have good composure, finishing, technical ability, on top of strength and agility. Its not mistake wekeep seeing him popup and score/nearly score already. Once he regains sharpness, match fitness, I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

We appear to have agreed what seems a relatively low fee, should we elect to sign him. I reckon like Sini, we will sign him... seems no brainer tbh in current market, for that price with those attributes.

;