England cricket

Last night I turned on in time for the last over - Root out, today - first ball I listen to Bairstow out for 99. Sorry guys I must be a jinx.
Very sorry for Bairstow who held it together.

I seem to do that when I watch football. But opposite. Walk out of the room to make a cuppa, goal. Watch the game nothing happens... go to toilet... goal. Takes the Mick sometimes. Feel like that sketch from Mr bean.

You've got to feel for him. That said he could have been given out on 4 so I'm sure he'd have taken 99 at that point. He still seemed annoyed walking off for lunch. Needs to put it behind him.

Could I venture to suggest that whether or not you switch on the radio makes fcuk all difference.

Same as 'commentator's curse' - just their inflated sense of self importance.

Of course you can suggest it Gary, but you probably won't convince me.
In the meantime I will make a mental note to refrain from scientifically inaccurate conversation pieces and only stick to Al Gard type facts.

I'm with redharry. Cricket is full of superstitions and you only have to make one comment to put the mockers on someone.

Incidentally, Hashim Amla is due a big score. :whistle:

SlowDownDerek - 5/8/2017 14:07

I'm with redharry. Cricket is full of superstitions and you only have to make one comment to put the mockers on someone.

Incidentally, Hashim Amla is due a big score. :whistle:

Out within five minutes. You're welcome.

:coool:

First day/night test match about to reach an interesting part of the day.

Will be interesting to see how the pink ball behaves.

DJ - 17/8/2017 18:52

Watching with interest.
Annoyed England didn't play Mason Crane and refused permission for him to play in Hampshire's 20/20 tomorrow.

Wouldn't have happened if he was a Middlesex or Yorkshire player.

DJ - 17/8/2017 17:52

Not going to be that good a gauge I don't think. Would have been much better to have had one against the Saffers.

Remember the days when the WI had a bowling attack to be feared regardless of the colour of the ball - Marshall, Roberts, Garner, Holding etc etc. This lot look powder puff in comparison.

Can see them really struggling in this series. Massive whitewash on the cards. Not ideal prep for the Ashes. We haven't got a decent opener to go with Cook, who will struggle in Oz anyway, and we're prone to a collapse if we don't start well. Root is an absolute saviour, but the rest of the top 8 either get less than ten or more than 50

HamworthyCherries - 17/8/2017 18:25

Can see them really struggling in this series. Massive whitewash on the cards. Not ideal prep for the Ashes. We haven't got a decent opener to go with Cook, who will struggle in Oz anyway, and we're prone to a collapse if we don't start well. Root is an absolute saviour, but the rest of the top 8 either get less than ten or more than 50

I can see what you're saying but we have just beaten SA 3-1,so not a bad prep for the Ashes!

redharry - 17/8/2017 19:19

Remember the days when the WI had a bowling attack to be feared regardless of the colour of the ball - Marshall, Roberts, Garner, Holding etc etc. This lot look powder puff in comparison.

My theory on the demise of WI cricket is this.

Satellite TV.
When the Sat TV craze first hit the WI around 85, it was all Basketball and Baseball as it was beamed in from the States.

And that's what the kids do now.
Cricket on the beach with the kids still happens, but you see loads more on the basketball courts.

Very sad IMHO

;