England cricket

Northbourne Reds - 17/8/2017 18:31

HamworthyCherries - 17/8/2017 18:25

Can see them really struggling in this series. Massive whitewash on the cards. Not ideal prep for the Ashes. We haven't got a decent opener to go with Cook, who will struggle in Oz anyway, and we're prone to a collapse if we don't start well. Root is an absolute saviour, but the rest of the top 8 either get less than ten or more than 50

I can see what you're saying but we have just beaten SA 3-1,so not a bad prep for the Ashes!

Oh definitely, can't argue with that one, but I think it would have made more sense to swap the series around. This one will be a walkover.

AlGard - 17/8/2017 18:35

redharry - 17/8/2017 19:19

Remember the days when the WI had a bowling attack to be feared regardless of the colour of the ball - Marshall, Roberts, Garner, Holding etc etc. This lot look powder puff in comparison.

My theory on the demise of WI cricket is this.

Satellite TV.
When the Sat TV craze first hit the WI around 85, it was all Basketball and Baseball as it was beamed in from the States.

And that's what the kids do now.
Cricket on the beach with the kids still happens, but you see loads more on the basketball courts.

Very sad IMHO

There's more money in baseball, basket ball, American and association football, even athletics to an extent. If a talented kid is deciding which sport to concentrate on cricket is bound to lose out. They need another superstar to come out of nowhere. Personally I'd love to see it. Cricket would be worse off with no Windies.

SlowDownDerek - 17/8/2017 18:59

AlGard - 17/8/2017 18:35

redharry - 17/8/2017 19:19

Remember the days when the WI had a bowling attack to be feared regardless of the colour of the ball - Marshall, Roberts, Garner, Holding etc etc. This lot look powder puff in comparison.

My theory on the demise of WI cricket is this.

Satellite TV.
When the Sat TV craze first hit the WI around 85, it was all Basketball and Baseball as it was beamed in from the States.

And that's what the kids do now.
Cricket on the beach with the kids still happens, but you see loads more on the basketball courts.

Very sad IMHO

There's more money in baseball, basket ball, American and association football, even athletics to an extent. If a talented kid is deciding which sport to concentrate on cricket is bound to lose out. They need another superstar to come out of nowhere. Personally I'd love to see it. Cricket would be worse off with no Windies.

The rise of T20 is going to help them long term I think, particularly now there are very good wages to be made with longer careers in the IPL and Big Bash (lets not mention the Blast although I am enjoying it). The Caribbean Premier League is also gaining traction

The Windies selectors have missed a trick by being pig headed RE Chris Gayle he could've given them a fighting chance and a test presence.

Honestly, at a quick glance of that BBC headline (and being half asleep), I thought it was weird that the picture of the NZ player was in white for a T20 game. 58 ALL OUT!! Miserable.

Also amazed to see that score isn't even our lowest ever.

Ken Baileys Ghost - 22/3/2018 07:25

That must have been v West Indies about 10 years ago.

Not a lot of fun if you've travelled all that way to see it.

Just looking, we have actually mastered 5 lower scores than today. v WI in 2009 (51) was the 3rd lowest. 2nd lowest was also v WI in 1994 (46) and our lowest was when the team bus was pulled by horses with gas lamps for headlights.

The problem with our cricket team is simple. It started when they left our island for the Ashes. They are on one big holiday with the mental attitude that goes with anyone on holiday, made worse by the fact they are getting garagefuls of money!

You’d still expect England to win, but this shows how short sighted the ICC are in reducing World Cup to 10 teams. Cricket is struggling at the moment, so surely they should be growing the sport not restricting it. On their day, these minnows can and have caused upsets

a bit tense.... 10 to win, 11 deliveries, no spare wickets :)

A great way to spend an afternoon in the garden.

And the entertainment on the radio doesn't stop there.

It's the Canadian Grand Prix next.

whoopeee....................................

;