England cricket

Ordinarily as someone who regards Cricket as our No 1 Sport....I would be riveted to the screens and delighted at any England progress...but there is so much sh*t going on with Cost of Living...potential War...threat of Covid getting automatic promotion back to big league status, and other demics lurking...that I really can't take the current Tests that seriously..it really doesn't matter who wins!

Ordinarily as someone who regards Cricket as our No 1 Sport....I would be riveted to the screens and delighted at any England progress...but there is so much sh*t going on with Cost of Living...potential War...threat of Covid getting automatic promotion back to big league status, and other demics lurking...that I really can't take the current Tests that seriously..it really doesn't matter who wins!
Of course it does Brian.

There's always something that matters more more than sport. That doesn't make sport any less important. It was a massive morale booster for many during the pandemic. And look how much Ukraine's sporting victories mean to them right now. Sport is a healer and a great bridge builder too.

Sport is not really very important is it....it's just a distraction from essential Work...you can enjoy it when in a frame of mind to do so.

There's always something that matters more more than sport. That doesn't make sport any less important. It was a massive morale booster for many during the pandemic. And look how much Ukraine's sporting victories mean to them right now. Sport is a healer and a great bridge builder too.

Exactly this. Even in less extraordinary times sport “should” fit a lot lower down the pecking order in order of importance…but then again when you find something in life that you like why on earth would you not enjoy it and prioritise it?

Just like if you decide you don’t like something why waste energy on it? Your time is better spent on something else.

Sport is not really very important is it....it's just a distraction from essential Work...you can enjoy it when in a frame of mind to do so.

Maybe so but pointing out you don't like sport, on a thread about sport, on a website dedicated to sport, populated exclusively by sports fans (present company apart) is surely the most pointless thing anyone could waste their time doing? Can there be anyone reading this thread who is interested that you think there are more important things than cricket?

I am very interested in what @oldcherry doesn't like today, but he told me off for commenting on his replies too often, so very frustratingly I have no right of reply to display quite the depth of my interest :(

This is weird and typical Forum clique reaction without proper analytical interpreting !
...I have at No Time said I 'didn't like sport'...I merely said ' it's not important...when considering some other things going on ...words to that effect.

This is weird and typical Forum clique reaction without proper analytical interpreting !
...I have at No Time said I 'didn't like sport'...I merely said ' it's not important...when considering some other things going on ...words to that effect.

Of course there are more important things. What should people do? Work out what the single most important topic and only ever talk about that?

Written off yesterday, seems like we've now got a team of fighters. Well done England! :clap::bow::clap:
It’s amazing what a change of mindset and attitude can achieve - Ben Stokes kept mentioning the change to a positive , more jovial attitude both in the dressing room and on the pitch , going after teams rather than the timid containment and fear of failure style that went before ….
You can clearly see the results , another great victory and smiles all round .

I understood what you were saying and I respect that opinion. However my opinion is the opposite. Sport is as important if not more when all sorts of awful stuff is happening that none of us can control. For many people on here, sport is our escape and a key part of our therapy. Although to be fair at times following AFCB can have the opposite to the desired effect!

Yay, I had "Forum", "clique" and "random capital letters" on my Brian Bingo card

House!:grinning:

Well done.....and if the Forum in any way and at any time gets stale and lacking ..I will find ways to get it buzzing...!
The random Capital Letter thingy is borrowed from Medieval/Victorian Literature...just a style and not personally and necessarily lending itself to emphasis or good

;