England cricket

I am very interested in what @oldcherry doesn't like today, but he told me off for commenting on his replies too often, so very frustratingly I have no right of reply to display quite the depth of my interest :(

I'm sure I've Never actually 'told off' another poster ...maybe 'taken the p*ss'..or made a sarcastic comment...but 'telling off' just ain't my style !
As I see it folk can say what they bloody well like to me ..or about me...
I'm not aiming to be right about everything...it's just letting off steam from thoughts basically...which can change...

In my mind a sports captain needs to be a bit bolshy and aggressive in the way they approach games. A mixture of experienced and young enthusiastic heads following behind can be a winner. Stokes is certainly of a winning mentality and appears to hate losing. I'm optimistic about the red ball game, now let's see how the white ball lot get on!

Well done.....and if the Forum in any way and at any time gets stale and lacking ..I will find ways to get it buzzing...!
The random Capital Letter thingy is borrowed from Medieval/Victorian Literature...just a style and not personally and necessarily lending itself to emphasis or good
I'm sure I've Never actually 'told off' another poster ...maybe 'taken the p*ss'..or made a sarcastic comment...but 'telling off' just ain't my style !
As I see it folk can say what they bloody well like to me ..or about me...
I'm not aiming to be right about everything...it's just letting off steam from thoughts basically...which can change...

It's just relentless self-commentary. Who cares?

Sunak and Javid are creeps..baling out to protect their own reputations..they don't, never have, given a monkeys f√ck about the Jack's and Jill's on the pavements of Britain..it's about Them and Their wealth. When they thought Johnson was winging it above a line with economic progress ...they were with him and his doctrine...as soon as some voyeuristic plonker pulls Johnson further in to the mire of Party Scandal...whereupon they think the ship is sinking with them on it...with no lifeboats left...they throw the towel in...together to dilute the drama of it for each one !
It's just relentless self-commentary. Who cares?

No one cares..so what ?..nor do I....it's just something to do if you get bored.

Seems strange in a way, coming just 3 years after the World Cup final with an epic ending, but personally, I don’t see a future in 50 over cricket so makes perfect sense.

Personally, either have a full blown test match or a full blown short form of T20 and the 100. 50 over cricket just doesn’t tick the boxes anymore.

Sadly I think the writing is on the wall for the 50 over game. Shame as I like it. I don't see the need for both T20 and the 100.
I think cricket is basically 2 different sports now, both have their merits although I prefer the long version.

Sadly I think the writing is on the wall for the 50 over game. Shame as I like it. I don't see the need for both T20 and the 100.
I think cricket is basically 2 different sports now, both have their merits although I prefer the long version.
I think the 100 is the one that should go. Just a franchise tournament that doesn’t really breed any loyalty. OK, I sort of supported the Southern Brave last year, really just for James Vince. I would go the other way and increase the 1 day game to 55 or 60 overs as it was in the beginning. We had the Gillette, 60, B&H, 55 and JPL, 40, and it worked fine in my book.

Cricket traditionalists will all say the same regarding the longer formats of the games.

That of course led to empty grounds, bankrupt counties and falling numbers playing the game.

Short versions of the game see bigger crowds and more participation of kids, both boys and girls.

Cricket needs an entry level of the game to get people interested. T20 and The Hundred offer that.

I have watched more cricket both domestic and international over the past year than I ever have before, sure that’s down to my boy in the main but the catalyst was The Hundred.

Test matches and T20 have been the best entertainment as far as I can tell, the ODI’s are neither one or the other.

I think the 100 is the one that should go. Just a franchise tournament that doesn’t really breed any loyalty. OK, I sort of supported the Southern Brave last year, really just for James Vince. I would go the other way and increase the 1 day game to 55 or 60 overs as it was in the beginning. We had the Gillette, 60, B&H, 55 and JPL, 40, and it worked fine in my book.
Agree, just don't see the point of the 100. I have no allegiance to the Southern Braves (who the f-ck are you?). The old Gillette Cup was a good day out. Used to love the old JPL Sunday League. Started at 2 p.m. after a couple of beers, then finish by 7 and back in the pub !!! Some great away days at smaller grounds - Tring, Cheltenham, Street, Worcester, Guildford as well as Hants playing home games at Bournemouth, Southampton, Pompey and Basingstoke.

Cricket traditionalists will all say the same regarding the longer formats of the games.

That of course led to empty grounds, bankrupt counties and falling numbers playing the game.

Short versions of the game see bigger crowds and more participation of kids, both boys and girls.

Cricket needs an entry level of the game to get people interested. T20 and The Hundred offer that.

I have watched more cricket both domestic and international over the past year than I ever have before, sure that’s down to my boy in the main but the catalyst was The Hundred.

Test matches and T20 have been the best entertainment as far as I can tell, the ODI’s are neither one or the other.
I agree with getting the kids interest but the old 50 over format used to get sell out crowds regularly at both group games and the later stages - it was the FA Cup of cricket with the final in front of a packed house at Lords. Sunday League games would always pull in a good few thousand. The 4 (used to be 3) day game has long seen smaller crowds of hardened traditionalists and has long been subsidised by the TCCB via Test match receipts, sponsorship and TV revenue.
For me I just don't get the 100.

Last edited:
Agree, just don't see the point of the 100. I have no allegiance to the Southern Braves (who the f-ck are you?). The old Gillette Cup was a good day out. Used to love the old JPL Sunday League. Started at 2 p.m. after a couple of beers, then finish by 7 and back in the pub !!! Some great away days at smaller grounds - Tring, Cheltenham, Street, Worcester, Guildford as well as Hants playing home games at Bournemouth, Southampton, Pompey and Basingstoke.

as DJ said, the 100 seems to have generated a lot of interest, I was sceptical but it appears to have worked
50 over cricket is dead in the water
I agree with you, wouldn't a 40 over sunday league be brilliant, shame most of those out-grounds no longer exist

Reactions: DJ
I agree with getting the kids interest but the old 50 over format used to get sell out crowds regularly at both group games and the later stages - it was the FA Cup of cricket with the final in front of a packed house at Lords. Sunday League games would always pull in a good few thousand. The 4 (used to be 3) day game has long seen smaller crowds of hardened traditionalists and has long been subsidised by the TCCB via Test match receipts, sponsorship and TV revenue.
For me I just don't get the 100.

4 day game only survives due to test match subsidies? That’s because without it there would be no test match cricket!

Think the new play off format for county cricket is attractive and generates interest

I don’t go often but a few times I thought about a day at cricket but the cricket calendar is a mess.

50 over is probably my favourite format but I can appreciate it doesn't really have a place for most people. I don't think anyone could have watched the World Cup final and not thought it's a great format.

If I remember my history the Gillette cup started as 65 overs, although it was 60 when I started going.

;