England Euro 2020

f
At the end of the World Cup I'd have said and probably did say the same thing.

We had one way of playing with one system, regardless of the opposition we played the same way with all of our weaknesses exposed.

During the Euro's we played different formations, different systems, different ways of operating those systems depending on team selection, we changed during games and for games.

He had a well thought out way of playing and got his players to not only buy into it but also know what they were doing under every scenario.

Will he regret not just going for it a bit in the final 20 minutes? Probably, we ultimately lost so he has to question himself to learn from it. But ultimately those ideas are what got us into that situation to lose it in the final.
Fair comments DJ, ......with that squad we should have won it, before it got to extra time and pens.......we will agree to disagree

Funny how a defeat changes views.

Italy now unbeaten in around 34 games, that’s tells you something about them.

That early goal did shake them up and there seemed to be a bit of unease amongst their players, who’s attempts on goal went wide or easily taken by Pickford.

Then they gradually grew into the game and took it by the scruff of the neck (their captain literally did that to Saka late into the game) and made vital substitutions.

Our side after that early goal seemed to then sit back and try and defend the lead or Italy made them go back as they constantly probed around our defence until they broke it to get the equaliser.

To cut it short, after that there was only one side in the game and looking to score and it wasn’t England.

Penalties, well we don’t know what was discussed and why the two young players took them over people like Sterling.

We were all happy before the final to actually get there for once after dipping out in the semi-finals or earlier in the past.

f

Fair comments DJ, ......with that squad we should have won it, before it got to extra time and pens.......we will agree to disagree

We had a very weak defence, it had to be protected. It wasn't that long ago that people said that Stones and Maguire had to play in a three, they just couldn't handle it in a two.

Maguire also had to come back from injury and we were fielding Mings.

Very few countries would have started the tournament with Mings and Stones at centre back and thought they had the squad to win it.

So that had to be protected with the shield of Phillips and Rice who were an absolute revelation together.

So the wiggle room was with the full-backs and wide attackers. As I've already said numerous times I'd have had them playing more attacking Kyle Walker and Luke Shaw could have been bombing down the wings and overlapping Sterling and Sancho more often.

Kane could be facing the opposition goalkeeper more often then and we could have brushed teams aside as we did against Ukraine...but unfortunately, the other sides weren't as weak as Ukraine and for all the attacking prowess we could have been exposed at the back.

I think that's a final place that Southgate has earned.

The final itself. We could have just gone for it a bit more in the last 20, left it all on the pitch, win or lose in normal time. That's what I'd have done...and probably lost on the counter-attack...which Italy are renown for.

Italy 780 passes to our 340...says a lot.

OK..Italy didn't create a tremendous amount with that possession...but the clever buggers knew that we certainly couldn't without the ball....even in our own gaff!
Its like Clough once said..." if you haven't got the ball...and you are at the wrong end of the pitch...you get what you deserve" .He wasn't wrong.

But ..we got to the end of 120 minutes arithmatically intact at 1-1 .....with a 50/50 Lifeline...Spot kick Bingo ...well crikey they might as well have been taken by a Table Tennis Olympic Squad or Sumo Wrestlers!
For Crying Out Loud...'twas a Catastrophe stalking a Disaster!
But there it goes...down river and round the bend....and we carry on Yearning without Learning!
:cuppa:

Now that this unwelcome distraction has finally been put to bed ( with the almost inevitable outcome ), at last we can get back to slagging off our new manager, the players we are selling, those we have just bought, whilst all the while not forgetting to mention the incompetence of the AFCB board at every opportunity.

Ah how I've missed those days !
;)

We had a very weak defence, it had to be protected. It wasn't that long ago that people said that Stones and Maguire had to play in a three, they just couldn't handle it in a two.

Maguire also had to come back from injury and we were fielding Mings.

Very few countries would have started the tournament with Mings and Stones at centre back and thought they had the squad to win it.

So that had to be protected with the shield of Phillips and Rice who were an absolute revelation together.

So the wiggle room was with the full-backs and wide attackers. As I've already said numerous times I'd have had them playing more attacking Kyle Walker and Luke Shaw could have been bombing down the wings and overlapping Sterling and Sancho more often.

Kane could be facing the opposition goalkeeper more often then and we could have brushed teams aside as we did against Ukraine...but unfortunately, the other sides weren't as weak as Ukraine and for all the attacking prowess we could have been exposed at the back.

I think that's a final place that Southgate has earned.

The final itself. We could have just gone for it a bit more in the last 20, left it all on the pitch, win or lose in normal time. That's what I'd have done...and probably lost on the counter-attack...which Italy are renown for.
So basically we agree...;)

Reactions: DJ
Well although he’s wrong on this occasion I’d rather listen to him than you!

Uncharacteristic response from you Rob. Have you listed to him talk football much in the last ten years? It's that kind of crap constantly. Every game he watches he hates for whatever reason, he's fallen out of love with the game and has become bitter like Alan Green.

Uncharacteristic response from you Rob. Have you listed to him talk football much in the last ten years? It's that kind of crap constantly. Every game he watches he hates for whatever reason, he's fallen out of love with the game and has become bitter like Alan Green.
Well I read so much negativity on here I thought I’d join in.

having trouble sitting down this morning?

:rofl:

Lol, I've got no idea what you are talking about you absolute weirdo. Funny how you had to wait until the last kick of the tournament to be able to pretend you were right in your laughably shite opinions about England. You best hope they get knocked out in the first round next time so you don't look like such a mug.

Well I haven't seen or heard him for a while.....but when the original 606 started on 5live he was and still is the best presenter they have had on.........and also his Saturday morning show was very good......have you ever listened to that lately ? Don't bother .

Well I haven't seen or heard him for a while.....but when the original 606 started on 5live he was and still is the best presenter they have had on.........and also his Saturday morning show was very good......have you ever listened to that lately ? Don't bother .

Agree about his stint on 606, for a time he was one of the few who had a good idea of what it was like from a fans perspective. I listened to his Saturday show until he got sacked. He was fine when he wasn't talking about why he hates football so much.

Funny how a defeat changes views.

Italy now unbeaten in around 34 games, that’s tells you something about them.

That early goal did shake them up and there seemed to be a bit of unease amongst their players, who’s attempts on goal went wide or easily taken by Pickford.

Then they gradually grew into the game and took it by the scruff of the neck (their captain literally did that to Saka late into the game) and made vital substitutions.

Our side after that early goal seemed to then sit back and try and defend the lead or Italy made them go back as they constantly probed around our defence until they broke it to get the equaliser.

To cut it short, after that there was only one side in the game and looking to score and it wasn’t England.

Penalties, well we don’t know what was discussed and why the two young players took them over people like Sterling.

We were all happy before the final to actually get there for once after dipping out in the semi-finals or earlier in the past.

And the brief was to make the semis of Euro 2020 and get to the WC Final in Qatar- so we’ve exceeded that by reaching the semis in 2018 and now the final here …
Definitely moving in the right direction but the team does need to keep evolving and we need a more dynamic and creative midfield ….

I think Italy were light years ahead of everyone. Doesn’t mean they’re unbeatable.

Apologies DJ, yes he did change it but it was still steady and safe and kept us mostly on the back foot. I would liked to have seen what would happen if he’d bought Grealish and maybe one other on at 60 minutes. We would probably have still lost but we may also have seized the initiative and given Italy something to think about. I would rather we lost in an exciting game than grind out a draw and go to penalties.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the tournament and think England did brilliantly to get to the final. The team is a delight in terms of attitude, character and togetherness. Southgate has achieved that. I would love to see the team built around Grealish over the next 18 months.

I think Italy were light years ahead of everyone. Doesn’t mean they’re unbeatable.

Apologies DJ, yes he did change it but it was still steady and safe and kept us mostly on the back foot. I would liked to have seen what would happen if he’d bought Grealish and maybe one other on at 60 minutes. We would probably have still lost but we may also have seized the initiative and given Italy something to think about. I would rather we lost in an exciting game than grind out a draw and go to penalties.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the tournament and think England did brilliantly to get to the final. The team is a delight in terms of attitude, character and togetherness. Southgate has achieved that. I would love to see the team built around Grealish over the next 18 months.

I’m going to like everything but the Grealish bits. :)

Good player. But I wouldn’t build the England team around him.

Lol, I've got no idea what you are talking about you absolute weirdo. Funny how you had to wait until the last kick of the tournament to be able to pretend you were right in your laughably shite opinions about England. You best hope they get knocked out in the first round next time so you don't look like such a mug.

blimey, calm down dear, you are such an easy wind-up........:rofl:
I said we'd had an easy run to the final and won the semi on a dodgy penalty, is that really a laughable shite opinion?
we were poor last night after the first 20 mins against very good opposition, as I predicted, penalties were an irrelevance to that performance
just admit you got caught up in the hype
laughable shite opinions are all yours

blimey, calm down dear, you are such an easy wind-up........:rofl:
I said we'd had an easy run to the final and won the semi on a dodgy penalty, is that really a laughable shite opinion?
we were poor last night after the first 20 mins against very good opposition, as I predicted, penalties were an irrelevance to that performance
just admit you got caught up in the hype
laughable shite opinions are all yours

You making a fool out of yourself doesn't wind me up mate.

To answer your question, yes your opinions are laughably shite. You're clutching at straws coming up with reasons why your clearly terrible opinions were correct despite all of the evidence proving otherwise.

;