England Squad

I’m confused
There seems to be a general agreement amongst a lot of posters that Southgate is fücking useless.
He has taken us to the latter stages of every tournament he has managed - he has lost 14 out of 91 games as England manager.
I suppose it’s the internet curse of everything/everyone either being the greatest thing the world has ever seen, or totally bloody terrible.

Could I venture to suggest that he is somewhere in between.
He has done a decent job as England manager and his record says that he deserves another shot at a major tournament. Personally I will be supporting the team he chooses and hoping for a Euros win.

Looks like some are hoping for an England failure so they can say ‘told you so’. Bit fücking sad that!

Nothing to do with wanting us to fail. Just have zero interest in the current boring team picked by a boring manager. I never enjoyed watching Maguire or Henderson playing for England in the first place, watching them being picked on their current form is ridiculous.

England games hold no excitement anymore.

Nothing to do with wanting us to fail. Just have zero interest in the current boring team picked by a boring manager. I never enjoyed watching Maguire or Henderson playing for England in the first place, watching them being picked on their current form is ridiculous.

England games hold no excitement anymore.

International football is crap and has been for a long time. I don't know when these glory days were when it wasn't like you describe above but they were long before my lifetime.

66. Clickety Clicked. Ramsey no nonsense stuff. No niceties with that bugger. He would stare right through Moore and Co and it was..
" You are England - you get out there and you Do It"...they weren't even allowed to speak to him without an 'unwritten rule' appointment. Nasty b@stard...and a Winner..like Clough who should have followed eventually.
Poor little Alan Ball was reputedly terrified of Ramsey...and so was Peters. Ball was a revelation in that tournament...so was Peters.

What do we have now...insipid France Fodder sh*te.....mollycoddled misfits mincing about awaiting for the next barren flight home..they ain't gonna put the buggers on a boat are they...no.... flown straight home to their mansion comforts !

I’ve had some great times supporting England in the qualifiers, typically most were pre new Wembley.

Beckham against Greece, the home national qualifiers against Wales and Northern Ireland.

All fantastic games at Old Trafford.

More recently Rooney breaking records or Jude Bellingham strutting his stuff.

There’s plenty to be excited about with England and international football. There’s just not the right balance there in the schedule so many games feel monotonous.

Always used to watch England games, but these days just can’t be bothered.

Probably been spoilt watching our team this season.

Last edited:
Love the summer tournaments when they come round and you can have a solid period focused on international football. Who doesn't want to geek out on multiple games a day featuring a handful of players you recognise and a bunch you've never heard of. Some sunshine and beers when England are playing - perfect.

It's the constant breaking up of the club season that gets tedious.

England are a decent prospect right now which makes it all the more interesting, and perhaps frustrating if and when we fall short. But I live in hope!

Southgate certainly has his flaws and I'm skeptical he has the tactical knockout nous to win us a trophy, but his record deserves some thanks and respect. I'd love Eddie to take it on one day, I think he'd be an upgrade (biased of course).

Love the summer tournaments when they come round and you can have a solid period focused on international football. Who doesn't want to geek out on multiple games a day featuring a handful of players you recognise and a bunch you've never heard of. Some sunshine and beers when England are playing - perfect.

It's the constant breaking up of the club season that gets tedious.

England are a decent prospect right now which makes it all the more interesting, and perhaps frustrating if and when we fall short. But I live in hope!

Southgate certainly has his flaws and I'm skeptical he has the tactical knockout nous to win us a trophy, but his record deserves some thanks and respect. I'd love Eddie to take it on one day, I think he'd be an upgrade (biased of course).
I enjoy and look forward to the tournaments. But not as you say the games during the breaks in our season.

We were playing well in the Quarter Final game against France and then Kane missed the penalty after putting one away earlier in the game.

These things are out of the manager’s hands and we exited the tournament.

You are not telling me 1990, 1996 and 1998 were not enjoyable? Early 90s after Italy were indeed very poor but later that it was a good period.
It probably depends on people’s circumstances. I personally loved the international tournaments in the 90’s. Going to a bar with mates, usually a great atmosphere.
Will do the same this summer.
Even enjoyed the tournament during COVID despite having to stay sat at a table with bar service.

It probably depends on people’s circumstances. I personally loved the international tournaments in the 90’s. Going to a bar with mates, usually a great atmosphere.
Will do the same this summer.
Even enjoyed the tournament during COVID despite having to stay sat at a table with bar service.

Yes 90s and early 2ks were pinnacle in my life time.

Proper excitement in build up and during tournament.

Probably around 10 or so years ago noticed I was less 'emotionally' involved and no longer would get stressed trying to get time off for every game. Genuine highs and lows of watching England disapated,

I'll always watch England games in finals, but no longer fussed if I miss odd one or two tbh.

You are not telling me 1990, 1996 and 1998 were not enjoyable? Early 90s after Italy were indeed very poor but later that it was a good period.

They were great, doing well in world cups and euros is always great. There were still a load of dross games in those tournaments though....

Bang average in the group stage in 1990 and barely qualified then struggled against unfancied sides until Germany knocked us out.

Netherlands game was the only great performance in Euro 1996.

Ballsed up the group in 1998 so had to face Argentina... Got knocked out.

I enjoy and look forward to the tournaments. But not as you say the games during the breaks in our season.

We were playing well in the Quarter Final game against France and then Kane missed the penalty after putting one away earlier in the game.

These things are out of the manager’s hands and we exited the tournament.

Has there ever been a time when people looked forward to international friendlies during the season? I went to Wembley a couple of times on the 1990s for England friendlies and out of the entire country England would draw 33,000 school kids.

It’s partly why the Natons league came in if we aren’t bothered about that either .

Everyone says they don’t care but when it comes to the major tournaments people will support England .

They were great, doing well in world cups and euros is always great. There were still a load of dross games in those tournaments though....

Bang average in the group stage in 1990 and barely qualified then struggled against unfancied sides until Germany knocked us out.

Netherlands game was the only great performance in Euro 1996.

Ballsed up the group in 1998 so had to face Argentina... Got knocked out.
I still cared though. The bad games made the good ones even better. Players with personalities and incredible skill. We might not have progressed very far but it was enjoyable.

1990 England were IMO the best on the world at the time. Not winning the world cup came down to the very smallest of margins.

I still cared though. The bad games made the good ones even better. Players with personalities and incredible skill. We might not have progressed very far but it was enjoyable.

1990 England were IMO the best on the world at the time. Not winning the world cup came down to the very smallest of margins.

You're just old now druss, that's the only difference. It wasn't particularly small margins was it? Not like losing the final on penalties and the performance wasn't particularly any better than Southgate has managed at world cups.

The whole thing was small margins... They got out of the group by the smallest of margins and scraped past Belgium and Cameroon by equally small margins. Then they got knocked out by small margins and lost against Italy in the third place game. It was great but hardly loads better than what we've seen in the last ten years.

You're just old now druss, that's the only difference. It wasn't particularly small margins was it? Not like losing the final on penalties and the performance wasn't particularly any better than Southgate has managed at world cups.

The whole thing was small margins... They got out of the group by the smallest of margins and scraped past Belgium and Cameroon by equally small margins. Then they got knocked out by small margins and lost against Italy in the third place game. It was great but hardly loads better than what we've seen in the last ten years.

I am indeed old. Strangely enjoyed the Bournemouth games of the last 10 years over the games in the 90s though so its not all about nostalgia..

;