England Squad

I am indeed old. Strangely enjoyed the Bournemouth games of the last 10 years over the games in the 90s though so its not all about nostalgia..

Well yeah, you'd be hard pressed to not enjoy the last ten years of AFCB wouldn't you. Anyway club football is and always has been a different level to international football. You can't compare the two imo.

I’m confused
There seems to be a general agreement amongst a lot of posters that Southgate is fücking useless.
He has taken us to the latter stages of every tournament he has managed - he has lost 14 out of 91 games as England manager.
I suppose it’s the internet curse of everything/everyone either being the greatest thing the world has ever seen, or totally bloody terrible.

Could I venture to suggest that he is somewhere in between.
He has done a decent job as England manager and his record says that he deserves another shot at a major tournament. Personally I will be supporting the team he chooses and hoping for a Euros win.

Looks like some are hoping for an England failure so they can say ‘told you so’. Bit fücking sad that!
Southgate is fecking useless. With the amount of talent he has had in the squad over his tenure I would suggest that the results of the team have been below par. He should have won at least one of those tournaments. Accepting a semi-final or a final as 'success' is just an England mentality problem. Would Germans or Brazilians or the French have thought this? The truth is that England have underachieved under Southgate. His negative tactics and god awful in game management ensured that we failed, yet again. I have seen this argument from others many times before. Southgate is, apparently, our most successful manager ever. Really? You can prove anything with statistcs. But if you watch the games and see how he wasted the chances that England were gifted, the true story is there for all to see. Southgate has 'achieved' very little. The players got England into those semis and final, DESPITE Southgate.

As I said, Southgate IS fecking useless. Which top club would have him? Would we want him here?

Fara Williams was full of praise for Dom , pointing out that he not only scores goals but works so hard off the ball for the team and that Toney doesn’t do that , Dom should be in the squad ….
This. Toney is a finisher. But he has 1 goal in 8 games. Bang out of form. Solanke brings more than just goals, as we all know. Solanke all day long, even without my Cherries hat on. Just more Southgate cluelessness.

Last edited:
Southgate is fecking useless. With the amount of talent he has had in the squad over his tenure I would suggest that the results of the team have been below par. He should have won at least one of those tournaments. Accepting a semi-final or a final as 'success' is just an England mentality problem. Would Germans or Brazilians or the French have thought this? The truth is that England have underachieved under Southgate. His negative tactics and god awful in game management ensured that we failed, yet again. I have seen this argument from others many times before. Southgate is, apparently, our most successful manager ever. Really? You can prove anything with statistcs. But if you watch the games and see how he wasted the chances that England were gifted, the true story is there for all to see. Southgate has 'achieved' very little. The players got England into those semis and final, DESPITE Southgate.

As I said, Southgate IS fecking useless. Which top club would have him? Would we want him here?

Absolutely mind-blowing how entitled half of England's supporters are. Win absolutely fuckall for 70 years, never got close in fact, and people reckon some other manager would have done better. Based on what? What planet have you been living on?

Absolutely mind-blowing how entitled half of England's supporters are. Win absolutely fuckall for 70 years, never got close in fact, and people reckon some other manager would have done better. Based on what? What planet have you been living on?
So, I assume you would have Southgate come here in a heartbeat? He is clearly a top class manager in your eyes. What planet are you on?

And I don't remember Southgate winning anything. He just ballsed up a final we should have won, by being ultra negative.

We have been close before GS. I remember semi-finals in 1990 and 1996. Lost on pens., but very near to success. We did win feck all though, just like Gareth.

Last edited:
So, I assume you would have Southgate come here in a heartbeat? He is clearly a top class manager in your eyes. What planet are you on?

No, I don't think it needs a top class manager, it needs someone to do the basics and try and keep the players focused despite all the crap that surrounds the England team.

Afterall we've had a load of higher rated managers than Southgate in the last 70 years many of whom also had loads of good players to pick from .... They won fuckall too.

No, I don't think it needs a top class manager, it needs someone to do the basics and try and keep the players focused despite all the crap that surrounds the England team.

Afterall we've had a load of higher rated managers than Southgate in the last 70 years many of whom also had loads of good players to pick from .... They won fuckall too.
I actually would not dispute that. He does seem good at that aspect. But the straitjacket he makes the team play in, a team full of attacking potential just seems so ultra safety first. He even does it in games against very poor teams we should be gubbing. I'd compare it to GON and AI, but GON is way more front foot than GS.

Last edited:
I actually would not dispute that. He does seem good at that aspect. But the straitjacket he makes the team play in, a team full of attacking potential just seems so ultra safety first. He even does it in games against very poor teams we should be gubbing. I'd compare it to GON and AI, but GON is way more front foot than GS.

In all honesty I don't think there's even been a period since I've been watching England when they didn't occasionally struggle against teams they should be beating who keep ten men behind the ball. If you look at his record he has battered loads of these sides too and breezed qualifying every time. He's easily got out of every tournament group and done better than everyone else once he's into the knockout stages.

You could argue he was too conservative against Italy in the final but then he went for it against France largely matched them but we got edged out. He didn't do much wrong in that game imo.

He's nowhere near as bad as the grief he gets imo.

So how the feck does this Koobe Mainoo kid ( ten playing minutes before this season) get an England call up and Dom or for that matter any of our players don’t

So how the feck does this Koobe Mainoo kid ( ten playing minutes before this season) get an England call up and Dom or for that matter any of our players don’t

Tbf there's a strong chance he's a superb player and has very high ceiling of potential.

Who would you call up from us ahead of him. Mainoo is cm/cdm.

As much as he's a bit of used car salesman about him, I think Redknapp would have been spot on for the national team, around time he was doing well for spurs.

Not a tactical engineer/genius, solid enough though, but man mgmt skills are 2nd to none imo. Natural leader, personality/way about him seems to connect on level of players.

Imagine he knows how to read situations/players intuitively... comes naturally and through all his experience. Ie how to ease pressure, when to apply praise/criticism in situations.

Exactly what England team needs imo.

Shame about controversy around him at the time, which no doubt played a part in England selection process.

Last edited:
Southgate gets moaned at for his consistency in selections, maintaining that club feeling around the squad…then he calls up someone new, someone young full of potential and that gets moaned about. :)

True and obviously one for the future unlike Henderson and Phillips in their roles .

Yes exactly. Doubt he's be called with view to anchoring the midfield from the start in the next game.

'Value' may be in getting an extremely gifted young player around squad/setup now, around players and england structure.

Rather than someone more 'average' who isn't going to get much better longer term.

Lewis Cook.

Not for me. Like Cook a lot, for us.

But think ship has sailed for him at international level... unless raises performances even further for us over prolonged period.

Mainoo has potential to be much better than Cook... likely one of best dmcs in world football over the next few years.

More athletic too, along with technical ability. Probably already is better than Cook tbh.

I'd choose Mainoo over Cook tbh. All about opinions of course mate ;)

Reactions: drd
As much as he's a bit of used car salesman about him, I think Redknapp would have been spot on for the national team, around time he was doing well for spurs.

Not a tactical engineer/genius, solid enough though, but man mgmt skills are 2nd to none imo. Natural leader, personality/way about him seems to connect on level of players.

Imagine he knows how to read situations/players intuitively... comes naturally and through all his experience. Ie how to ease pressure, when to apply praise/criticism in situations.

Exactly what England team needs imo.

Shame about controversy around him at the time, which no doubt played a part in England selection process.

I think Big Sam might have done alright for the same reasons. International football isn't rocket science and England's problem was always decent players crumbling under the pressure. Just needs a manager able to let them operate as pressure free as possible.

I think Big Sam might have done alright for the same reasons. International football isn't rocket science and England's problem was always decent players crumbling under the pressure. Just needs a manager able to let them operate as pressure free as possible.

Yes totally agree

Such a small window in tournaments. Huge % of 'getting over tge line' comes down. To mental/emotional side imo.

LOL those defending his selections were probably fully supportive of Sven choosing Theo Walcott ahead of Defoe for the 2006 world cup.

oNE FoR tHe FUtuRE...

Its nonsense. You take the best players who are on form, not always planning for the next and then the next and then the next tournament which is what we always seem to hear about the England selections.

;