England Squad

Gareth may have got us to a final and a semi but we got the luck of the draw in both tournaments. We lost to an average Croatia that we should've won, lost to Italy on pens should've won and France should've won.
He's an absolute bottler and I'll never forgive him for bottling the Italy game everyone saw it coming except him and he let 17 year old take the 5th penalty because he's a proper idiot. And now I have to watch him phuck it up for a 4th time in a row. He also missed the decisive pen in Euro 96 because he's a coward.

You're younger than me, Southgate is the best England manager you've ever seen.

He's also the worst I've ever seen Derek for the reasons I stated.
When we had Sven and Glen etc as manager we were playing much better foreign teams.
These players we have are extremely talented and he doesn't have a clue.

I could name another ten from my lifetime who did worse than him. All had extremely talented players at their disposal. Sven had the golden generation and got knocked out by ten man Brazil and a Portugal side no better than the Croatian one that knocked Southgate out in the semi.

That Argie team that knocked us out under Hoddle wouldn't beat the France side that just knocked us out of the last one.

Impossible standards.

I could name another ten from my lifetime who did worse than him. All had extremely talented players at their disposal. Sven had the golden generation and got knocked out by ten man Brazil and a Portugal side no better than the Croatian one that knocked Southgate out in the semi.

That Argie team that knocked us out under Hoddle wouldn't beat the France side that just knocked us out of the last one.

Impossible standards.
When we lost to Brazil in 2002 iy was probably one of Brazil's greatest ever teams they had Ronaldo, Ronaldinho. Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Gilberto Silva.

When we lost to Argentina on pens in 98 they were a hardened team with players like Zanetti, Batistutata Simeone, Veron and Crespo.

We don't play those types of teams anymore of that ilk, Southgate is a bottler that is a fact

The trouble with most England teams is the imbalance of talent. Take the current team, we have great attacking intent from midfield to forwards, but our defence and keepers is really lacking overall quality.

Same with the Golden Generation, even Stevie G was played out of position to shoehorn him and Lampard, amongst others, into the same team.

Others teams like the recent back to back winning Spain team and in general Brazil, seem to have good overall balance.

When we lost to Brazil in 2002 iy was probably one of Brazil's greatest ever teams they had Ronaldo, Ronaldinho. Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Gilberto Silva.

When we lost to Argentina on pens in 98 they were a hardened team with players like Zanetti, Batistutata Simeone, Veron and Crespo.

We don't play those types of teams anymore of that ilk, Southgate is a bottler that is a fact

Brazil were alright, ten of them was enough to beat our golden generation. I think you're guilty of nostalgia like most other people on this topic.

The current french side would give that Brazil team a run for their money.

That Argentina team were ok but not much better than the Croatia team that beat Southgate. The Portugal team were bang average other than Ronaldo.

In truth no international side is all that good. They are all bit-part unbalanced squads with a few good players but often in the same positions and in almost every case the teams who win or do well ride their luck massively.

English players going up against the “ best in the world “ (allegedly ) in the PL must help when it comes to internationals ..or perhaps not I dunno .. I do know we never ever win anything .

I don't think national teams are anyway near level they were 20 years ago.
But lucky me I get to see Gareth phuck it up for a 5th time for our country this summer. even if we somehow won the Euro's i'd just about forgive his previous hell he's endured on me as a fan but he will clearly lose as soon as we play France because he's a coward, That Italy game we were the better team until extra time then we were hanging on and he shat himself and gave it away in our own back yard, he's pathetic.

Last edited:
I don't think national teams are anyway near level they were 20 years ago.
But lucky me I get to see Gareth phuck it up for a 5th time for our country this summer. even if we somehow won the Euro's i'd just about forgive his previous hell he's endured on me as a fan but he will clearly lose as soon as we play France because he's a coward, That Italy game we were the better team and he shat himself and gave it away in our own back yard, he's pathetic.

Hell? Jesus how do you cope? He had a go at France last time and they did alright, got beat but at least went down fighting but here we are with the 'fans' declaring they've been put through hell because we can't take a penalty properly.

Forget Southgate and England .. what possible basis are you saying that national teams were better 20 years ago? That's just nostalgia talking. Music was better when I was a teenager too.

Absolutely mind-blowing how entitled half of England's supporters are. Win absolutely fuckall for 70 years, never got close in fact, and people reckon some other manager would have done better. Based on what? What planet have you been living on?
I think we could and quite possibly should have won the last Euros based on the players we had at our disposal and the home advantage. I think Southgate exceeded expectations when he was first appointed, and getting to the semis of the World Cup in Russa was excellent. But, we haven't really upped a gear since then when we should have. The reason I think is that Southgate plays things too safely. 1 up in the final against Italy. We should have got more goals but we went all defensive. That was Southgate's year, but the set up was too cautious. That's not me being entitled. That's me saying we had the quality and massive home advsntsge to win that final comfortably.

Last edited:
Hell? Jesus how do you cope? He had a go at France last time and they did alright, got beat but at least went down fighting but here we are with the 'fans' declaring they've been put through hell because we can't take a penalty properly.

Forget Southgate and England .. what possible basis are you saying that national teams were better 20 years ago? That's just nostalgia talking. Music was better when I was a teenager too.
We didn't have a go we levelled, missed a pen then shat ourselves and lost like every other time. That France Argentina final, good game but they were very beatable. Just like Italy and Croatia. In 2002 that was literally the best ever Brazil team and our golden gen got them in quarters instead of Turkey.

I think we could and quite possibly should have won the last Euros based on the players we had at our disposal and the home advantage. I think Southgate exceeded expectations when he was first appointed, and getting to the semis of the World Cup in Russa was excellent. But, we haven't really upped a gear since then when we should have. The reason I think is that Southgate plays things too safely. 1 up in the final against Il

Of course we could have won it. We lost the final on penalties. You can't do better than that without winning it.

We didn't have a go we levelled, missed a pen then shat ourselves and lost like every other time. That France Argentina final, good game but they were very beatable. Just like Italy and Croatia. In 2002 that was literally the best ever Brazil team and our golden gen got them in quarters instead of Turkey.

Best ever Brazil team that barely qualified for the tournament. Against France we had more possession, more shots, more shots on target... Expected goals: England 2.4 against France 0.73 ... England had a go and France sat back and tried to soak up pressure and hope Mbappe had some joy but he was anonymous. It took Giroud to win it for them.

If you expect England to do much better than that you've not been paying attention for the last 60 odd years.

Of course we could have won it. We lost the final on penalties. You can't do better than that without winning it.
I would say you're being a little too British in your assessment. We're stereotypically too measured and too satisfied with things when other more passionate nationalities would say 'Who cares how many quarter finals or semis we've got into, or even getting into the final. If we haven't won it, the rest is pretty meaningless. Southgate is a truly British man. Very cautious and much more focused on not failing than winning. Had Pep or Klopp been the England manager, I'm sure we'd have won the last Euros and quite possibly the World Cup because they would have taken risks.

I'm sorry Derek but I'm never going to agree with you on this matter.
First ever England tournament I remember was Euro 96 and he broke my heart.
I've then seen him fumble through games to get a Semi against Croatia, a final in our own stadium against Italy and phuck it up because he's a coward,
Oh ye we had a go at France for a while and still lost.
I hate him and he's not half the man Eddie would be as manager because Southgate has no talent and on top of that hes a woke prat,

I would say you're being a little too British in your assessment. We're stereotypically too measured and too satisfied with things when other more passionate nationalities would say 'Who cares how many quarter finals or semis we've got into, or even getting into the final. If we haven't won it, the rest is pretty meaningless. Southgate is a truly British man. Very cautious and much more focused on not failing than winning. Had Pep or Klopp been the England manager, I'm sure we'd have won the last Euros and quite possibly the World Cup because they would have taken risks.

I'm not saying it's necessarily good enough I'm saying it's better than we ever done before in my lifetime. We tried the pep and Klopp of their day previously and they did worse than Southgate. We can all declare that someone else would have won but nobody else ever got close.

I want to win something but in the absence of that I'll take a view on how well we did and one thing you can say about Southgate is he hasn't been "fucking useless" he's been pretty good on the whole even if that's not been good enough to win anything.

Reactions: drd
I'm sorry Derek but I'm never going to agree with you on this matter.
First ever England tournament I remember was Euro 96 and he broke my heart.
I've then seen him fumble through games to get a Semi against Croatia, a final in our own stadium against Italy and phuck it up because he's a coward,
Oh ye we had a go at France for a while and still lost.
I hate him and he's not half the man Eddie would be as manager because Southgate has no talent and on top of that hes a woke prat,

Time will tell but five minutes into the next managers reign you'll probably be saying the same stuff about whoever that is. Same as ever with England.

As you get older, a ‘semi’ is something to look forward to.

;