England Squad

He took that penalty in 1996 because it was important to him to 'do the right thing'. He was the capt. after all, so, in his mind, he had an obligation to step up. What bugs me is why El Tel didn't stop him. He should have said , you've never taken one in your life Gaz, let someone else do it, Son. But he didn't. And Gaz bottled it.
He wasn’t the captain. He only took a penalty because Paul Ince bottled out

When you say 'Pretty good', you mean at beating also rans because we got a kind draw. Then as soon as we meet a proper team, where the opposition players have some talent and the opposition manager has some tactics, GS needs to send for the RNLI, as he's that far out of his depth !!

Funny how everyone we beat turned into an also ran as soon as the final whistle went. Some side beats us on penalties and they're a 'proper side'. I'd love England to win things but if I played for them I'd have a hard time giving it 100% because of 'supporters' like you. You deserve a shite England team tbh.

Funny how everyone we beat turned into an also ran as soon as the final whistle went. Some side beats us on penalties and they're a 'proper side'. I'd love England to win things but if I played for them I'd have a hard time giving it 100% because of 'supporters' like you. You deserve a shite England team tbh.
It's not the team that are shite, it's just the manager. And I haven't backed England since Southgate came in. I didn't agree with the appointment then and I still don't. He was the cheap option, the yes man. If you can't see that, that says more about you than it does me. But each to their own, I guess.

It's not the team that are shite, it's just the manager. And I haven't backed England since Southgate came in. I didn't agree with the appointment then and I still don't. He was the cheap option, the yes man. If you can't see that, that says more about you than it does me. But each to their own, I guess.

Presumably you didn't cheer when the beat Germany and got the the final then? You must hark back to the glory days when they didn't qualify, get out of groups, win knock out games and get to semi finals and finals then.

Personally I don't care who the manager is I just want the team to do well. As I've said it doesn't need a brilliant manager it just needs someone to do that basics and take the pressure off the players and Southgate has managed to do that better than most.

Presumably you didn't cheer when the beat Germany and got the the final then? You must hark back to the glory days when they didn't qualify, get out of groups, win knock out games and get to semi finals and finals then.

Personally I don't care who the manager is I just want the team to do well. As I've said it doesn't need a brilliant manager it just needs someone to do that basics and take the pressure off the players and Southgate has managed to do that better than most.
The FA got all ambitious and went out and spent a fortune on glamorous European big name managers, thinking that would be the key to success, and look how well that turned out !

Southgate might not have been an appointment to get all excited about but he has achieved better results than most, by whatever means.
Solid but unspectacular would be my summary of his performance so far.

I do have doubts about whether he can instil a winning mentality in a squad though. To me, that has always been what we have lacked over the years. I believe that with the right mentality and utter belief we would have won a few pots since 1966. I accept that it can’t be easy to achieve that when the players are only playing together for a few weeks per year but other nations seem to have managed it better than we have.
I still always expect us to ultimately “bottle it”, regardless of how well we start in any tournament. It’s the main reason why I can no longer get excited by England playing in the big tournaments. Getting excited feels like building myself up for yet another massive disappointment, so I decide not to bother :shrug:

I honestly believe that, if Bobby Robson, Venables or Hoddle had had the luck of the draw in their tournaments we would have won something, we’ve had incredibly fortunate routes to the latter stages recently and failed. Robson would not have played 8 defensive players in a final let alone any other round. I pray that Southgate gets the Manc job

I honestly believe that, if Bobby Robson, Venables or Hoddle had had the luck of the draw in their tournaments we would have won something, we’ve had incredibly fortunate routes to the latter stages recently and failed. Robson would not have played 8 defensive players in a final let alone any other round. I pray that Southgate gets the Manc job
Terry was good manager, I was disappointed how little coverage was made of his passing because Euro 96 was a special tournament, we could've got Czech Rep in Semi's but got the German machine and lost on pens.

Robson was sacked before Italy 90 because the press had decided he was shite. He got the luck of the draw in that tournament too and was knocked out by the first decent side he faced.

Venables was manager in 1996, which although a great tournament was full of bang average performances from England. Hoddle similar.

It's crazy how people think all these other managers were better than they were.

Reactions: drd
Robson was sacked before Italy 90 because the press had decided he was shite. He got the luck of the draw in that tournament too and was knocked out by the first decent side he faced.

Venables was manager in 1996, which although a great tournament was full of bang average performances from England. Hoddle similar.

It's crazy how people think all these other managers were better than they were.
In Euro 96 We murdered Holland Derek, beat Scotland first half not great but we won. drew with Swiss and beat Spain on pens. Germany were the only other team capable of beating us that tournament. And we lost on pens to a proper team when we could've had a Southgate draw of Czech Republic in Semi's and Germany in final.

England played against Ireland in the first game. A huge game at the time and a virtual derby after euro 88 then Netherlands who were euro champions. Belgium next who were in the semi finals 4 years earlier. Cameroon who were flying then West Germany

In Euro 96 We murdered Holland Derek, beat Scotland first half not great but we won. drew with Swiss and beat Spain on pens. Germany were the only other team capable of beating us that tournament. And we lost on pens to a proper team when we could've had a Southgate draw of Czech Republic in Semi's and Germany in final.

Yeah, other than the Holland game it was bang average even if we all remember it fondly. Same goes for 1990 and 1998.

I honestly don't know why Southgate gets held to a higher standard than other managers. In fact I do, he is the current manager so people slag him off because that's what they do with England managers. They did it with Robson, Venables and Hoddle too because that's what England fans do.

We have a great team of players but managed by a yellow belly prat.
Very talented players with maybe only the frogs having a better squad overall of young talent. Southgate is to safety first and restrictive in the knock out stages. The England players are better geared towards attacking football.

England played against Ireland in the first game. A huge game at the time and a virtual derby after euro 88 then Netherlands who were euro champions. Belgium next who were in the semi finals 4 years earlier. Cameroon who were flying then West Germany

As for

In Italia 90 we did draw in group stage with Ireland and Holland, but were the only team in group who won a game which was against Egypt. We then beat Belgium and a spirited Cameroon after trailing 2-1 to win 3-2 with couple Lineker pens. We lost in semi's to a German machine on pens. I imagine people look more fondly at Italia 90 because we had a legendary and loveable manager in Sir Bobby rather than Gareth Wokegate when we got to a semi and lost to Croatia.

;