England

Rugby red

First Team
If that macKem / scouser passes the ******* ball sideways once more I am never watching them again - oh well thats me not watching them again :Zzzz:

I agree I switched it over at ht. England seemed devoid of ideas except passing across the pitch.
Southgate's got a big job on his hands.

But hey let's celebrate a 2-0 win over Malta. A win is a win I suppose.

Watching it I was trying to imagine how Eddie would have set up?...we certainly would have played with more width....England spent almost the whole game going through the middle and trying to get past nine defenders!....sterile performance...tbh we should have thrashed them

Took my 9 yr old to Wembley for the first time yesterday. She's been to about 100 Cherries games over the last 7 years, from League 2 to the Prem. As we came away from the ground she remarked how she liked the stadium, but that it was the most boring match she could remember seeing. I had to agree. Perhaps we are all spoiled.

I didn't watch the game but Rooney is getting a pasting in the press this morning. Was he really that bad?

No worse than the others. just a very boring game against a team that did a good job of getting 10 men behind the ball for 90 mins. Italy only beat them 1-0 in a Euro qualifier last year.

morris.minor - 9/10/2016 06:16

I agree I switched it over at ht. England seemed devoid of ideas except passing across the pitch.
Southgate's got a big job on his hands.

Well lets hope he does a great job or we know where the FA will be looking next.

England have won their last 14 qualifiers and are unbeaten in 31 qualifiers overall, winning 24 and drawing 7. We were there yesterday and I felt Rooney had a good game, England played safe football and Malta didn't really offer much.

The second half was tough to watch. As mentioned above we constantly tried to play through the middle of a team with nine behind the ball for the whole game. I don't understand why we don't have a decent plan to combat this because we will fave the same tactics in 90% of games we play including all of them at the last tournament.

Width and crosses to a guy that is decent in the air is what is needed. Deeney would boss these teams.

afcdibby - 9/10/2016 09:54

England have won their last 14 qualifiers and are unbeaten in 31 qualifiers overall, winning 24 and drawing 7. We were there yesterday and I felt Rooney had a good game, England played safe football and Malta didn't really offer much.

Safe football against Malta?

My idea of unsafe football against Malta would be playing with 7 men and no goalkeeper.

For the sake of the fans we should be trying to murder teams like this.

Job done, efficient and joyless.

The manager asked his players to be brave, his captain didnt lead by example by his safe passing back and sideways and straight out of play.

First half we played some good football at times, but the second half, especially the last 20-25 minutes seemed to me that some of the England players switched off knowing they had the game won.

When you come up against a solid wall the best way to get over it is to go over the top and wingers and overlapping full backs are the way to do this.

The English born Malta keeper made some good saves, but we just didn't have enough players in the area to convert any chances.

Our players were guilty of missing the chances they had, otherwise the score would have been higher.

Henderson put in some telling crosses one which led to Sturridge scoring with a header.

Think the days of seeing teams scoring double figures against the opposition are long gone.

Well if you don't go out with the attitude to do your best for 90 + minutes and entertain.
Then don't charge the fans full price!

It is meant to be an entertainment industry, this applies to all levels of the game

Years ago c1998 I took my family of four to watch England play Saudi Arabia at Wembley under Glen Hoddle. With travel, food and the tickets it cost us over £200 to watch a boring 0-0 draw!
Never done it since.

morris.minor - 9/10/2016 11:14

Well if you don't go out with the attitude to do your best for 90 + minutes and entertain.

It is meant to be an entertainment industry, this applies to all levels of the game

Years ago c1998 I took my family of four to watch England play Saudi Arabia at Wembley under Glen Hoddle. With travel, food and the tickets it cost us over £200 to watch a boring 0-0 draw!
Never done it since.

My adult ticket was £20 and my childs ticket £10 with £2-50 postage. Good and fair pricing in my eyes.

morris.minor - 9/10/2016 11:14

These days it's a results industry, Internationally the manager's job is up for grabs. On the club seen there is so much money at stake, so again results mean manager in a job or not, entertainment is a bonus.

Rooney and Henderson slowed the game down. It was frustrating to watch and if people want to talk about this being an entertainment industry then perhaps you should complain more about the teams that set up with on purpose in mind. Defending.

Exactly USCherry - the blame for boring negative football shouldn't be laid at England's door. Teams like Malta should have to pre qualify to get into the qualification groups. Any team below a certain FIFA ranking. Look at the disgraceful way the Andorra players kicked lumps out of Portugal on Friday - these people don't deserve to be on the same pitch. Too many crap teams means too many boring games. Even when there are loads of goals it's boring.

;