European Super League

Short term, short term self interests will see them take the money. They’ll know it’ll be a slow death.
Their asset has been devalued, and I have no idea how they would get their investment back, unless the super league are planning on big annual payments.

Big 6 off you pop.

Not sure Spurs and Arsenal will enjoy being beaten every week.
They would become the new Sheff U and Fulham.

Few if any away fans.

Football fans are crying out to go to matches and they want to halve the number of games it is feasible to get to. In the immortal words of Abba "Money, Money, Money".

People that don't go to matches anyway will love it.

No jeopardy for poorly performing teams. No reason to try hard when it is clear you won't win the European Stupid League. Sporting integrity disappears.

If it is a bargaining chip then it is crass and disrespectful to fans. If it isn't it is self centred and doomed to fail.

I hope they get what they wish for or at the very least what they deserve.

Either way it should be a one way trip. No coming back.

I really hope the governing bodies take a stand here for football’s sake.

Don’t allow them into a domestic league, don’t pick the players internationally it’s simple. The TV money won’t follow something for long where it’s the only games that get played and they will strangle themselves over the lack of football. Turn it into the football version of Kerry Packers cricket tours to South Africa. Hope they will be brave but fear they will capitulate. It would make my decade if they stood firm and cast them adrift.

in the US, MLS owns the players and the teams, while unlikely to be the model for the super league, I can see the league having ownership of player contracts...

The American owners (especially) and JP Morgan couldn't give a shít about you, me, the national leagues, UEFA or FIFA or what anyone else thinks. It's all about creating a global brand.

Here is a fresh quote from one of my friends stateside:

"It is a move towards the US sports franchising system to create the ESL in the image of the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL."

Knowing that the owners of Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U also own major US sports franchises, I see this as eminently possible.

Hate to say it, but retaliation in some form of expulsion of these teams from the league will likely lead to a lot of teams going bust - including AFCB.

I have zero interest in watching teams play that I have no affiliation with unless my team has some kind of stake in the game. but this league is **NOT** for fans like us, its for all those other "markets"
I'm not sure about going bust. All of these teams will have to realign their financial expectations yes, and so will the players who aren't signed up to the ESL.

Why some of these clubs are keen to take JP Morgan's 30 pieces of silver:

"If Barcelona's total debt is €1.173 billion and their net debt €488 million, Madrid's is €901m and €355m, respectively. Hardly small change, either." [source: ESPN]

"Barcelona are on the verge of bankruptcy." [source: football-espana.net]

"Atlético Madrid debt reaches €999m." [source: sportspromedia.com]

"Inter lead the way with €630.1m in debt as their situation borders on crisis, while Roma are at €552.3m, Juventus €458.3m, Milan €151.8m and Lazio €146.9m." [source: sempremilan.com]

"Manchester United net debt increases to £455m, a rise of £64m on last year." [source: theathletic.com]

Couldn't be bothered to look up what Tottenham have left to pay on their shiny new stadium. As for Liverpool and the Ärse, who cares?

Financial Implications - a brief review

Good - If there is less prize money, incentives to chase, clubs will be forced to cut their cloth so that transfer fees, agent fees and players wages are kept in check. If the league is marketed well there should still be significant interest in the product both home and abroad (possibly a chance to gain back some audience who were turned off by the predictability of it all)

Bad - incumbent owners with deep pockets chasing the riches might be less inclined to continue with their investment. Would it mean we are baggered or do you all think Max would hang around with this new scaled back approach? (No pressure everyone, but I think the stakes to get promoted this season may have just gone up another notch).

The American owners (especially) and JP Morgan couldn't give a shít about you, me, the national leagues, UEFA or FIFA or what anyone else thinks. It's all about creating a global brand.

"It is a move towards the US sports franchising system to create the ESL in the image of the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL."
That is exactly their model. They simply cannot understand or cope with the concept of relegation and the possibility that it could happen to one of their franchises.

How have these fools managed to get themselves into such debt? I can't get my head round it.

Why some of these clubs are keen to take JP Morgan's 30 pieces of silver:

"If Barcelona's total debt is €1.173 billion and their net debt €488 million, Madrid's is €901m and €355m, respectively. Hardly small change, either." [source: ESPN]

"Barcelona are on the verge of bankruptcy." [source: football-espana.net]

"Atlético Madrid debt reaches €999m." [source: sportspromedia.com]

"Inter lead the way with €630.1m in debt as their situation borders on crisis, while Roma are at €552.3m, Juventus €458.3m, Milan €151.8m and Lazio €146.9m." [source: sempremilan.com]
"Manchester United net debt increases to £455m, a rise of £64m on last year." [source: theathletic.com]

Couldn't be bothered to look up what Tottenham have left to pay on their shiny new stadium. As for Liverpool and the Ärse, who cares?

That is exactly their model. They simply cannot understand or cope with the concept of relegation and the possibility that it could happen to one of their franchises.

This was the quote from the dude in that Sky interview posted earlier... The Americans cannot understand why football has relegation... But then I don't understand how Americans can just pick up teams every few years and move them around en masse, and then expect the fans to start supporting another franchise that has just moved in...???

I agree in principle with Garbo's post about a restructure... If the supposed 'big 6' (which is laughable in itself) do bugger off... This is the opportunity that has been talked of for years, to reset the leagues, it's finances, the wages, everything... Merge the PL and EFL and create 3-4 new leagues in a structure that moves away from power struggles at the top...

As far as I can see, the removal of these teams to their new fancy ESL will make the PL more like the Championship and so on down the pyramid...

F*ck them off and lets move on... See where they are in 3 year's time with their seasons being over after 10 games as they sit bottom half and no chance of doing anything other than playing exhibition games each week in front of football tourists...

It will only take one player to voice their opinion and make a stand and then we'll really see how well this has been thought through... Sort the mercenaries out from those that play because they love the game, the fans, the passion, the history...

I'm not sure about going bust. All of these teams will have to realign their financial expectations yes, and so will the players who aren't signed up to the ESL.

If I was an owner of a club who's value has gone down overnight I would be cutting my losses and running. That will then trickle down.

If I was an owner of a club who's value has gone down overnight I would be cutting my losses and running. That will then trickle down.

All depends on how SKY or other TV companies deal with it...

Glass half empty view is that the TV companies will slash their bids in expectation that no one will watch

Glass half full view is about the renewed possibility over the a new more competitive English Premier league and league system...

SKY and BT will not get rights to an ESL... We've already heard about overseas companies looking into that and probably able to throw a lot more money at it... So as long as the UK TV companies keep faith with their expected global audience then the league could still be a very saleable thing...

This was the quote from the dude in that Sky interview posted earlier... The Americans cannot understand why football has relegation... But then I don't understand how Americans can just pick up teams every few years and move them around en masse, and then expect the fans to start supporting another franchise that has just moved in...???

I agree in principle with Garbo's post about a restructure... If the supposed 'big 6' (which is laughable in itself) do bugger off... This is the opportunity that has been talked of for years, to reset the leagues, it's finances, the wages, everything... Merge the PL and EFL and create 3-4 new leagues in a structure that moves away from power struggles at the top...

As far as I can see, the removal of these teams to their new fancy ESL will make the PL more like the Championship and so on down the pyramid...

F*ck them off and lets move on... See where they are in 3 year's time with their seasons being over after 10 games as they sit bottom half and no chance of doing anything other than playing exhibition games each week in front of football tourists...

It will only take one player to voice their opinion and make a stand and then we'll really see how well this has been thought through... Sort the mercenaries out from those that play because they love the game, the fans, the passion, the history...
I'd rather not sell out English football as we know it. The smaller clubs deserve their chance to draw big teams in the FA Cup. It's part of English football. As much as people hate to admit it the bigger clubs are part of our soul and identity as a football nation. Slowly but surely American corporate owners have tried to turn them into a franchise. This is the final straw, it's time to start getting our game back and rid it of the ridiculous money and greed.

Knowing that the owners of Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U also own major US sports franchises, I see this as eminently possible.
This is from someone who lives there on and off and has relatives there, I understand the sentiment but because of eSports and interest in real football they get ProRel. Some even see it as a magic bullet for the MLS always losing in their champions league. It aint the 90s where only world cup is obscure pay TV, most get it even if they dont like it.

So what you're saying is Wee Rat is going to sign for Barca?

Couldn't agree more.

The other totally egregious thing about all this is the carbon footprint is going to be absolutely atrocious.

;