Gary O'Neil

all people can do is work off the facts they had at the time, yes he kept us up(and he done a great job doing that) but the football was dull and often seemed without a real plan, he is learning on the job and the club felt a more attractive style was more fitting with the long term view of the club and someone with a bit more managerial experience.
GON may turn into the best manager ever but our fans will remember what his football was like with us and not at any club he manages next
That's the clever view....I'm not sure what anyone should have expected after the 0 - 9 debacle...and with the newly promoted team whose individual attitudes and commitment were perhaps not conducive to 3/4 of a season of fluidic free range attacking...similar to what Andoni took quite a while, understandably, to instill in the slightly improved squad.

Ok if O' Neil's way of playing at Wolves is overall dull, without plan and stays fixed in that mode than I guess what you say blows what I say out of the water.
From what i've seen of Wolves clips on U-tube and MotD O'Neils teams are not particularly dull or particularly exciting as a whole but have slipped into both modes in a few games.

Last edited:
That's the clever view....I'm not sure what anyone should have expected after the 0 - 9 debacle...and with the newly promoted team whose individual attitudes and commitment were perhaps not conducive to 3/4 of a season of fluidic free range attacking...similar to what Andoni took quite a while, understandably, to instill in the slightly improved squad.
learning a new system always takes time, wolves had a defensive system in place so not much for GON to change just a few tweaks to suit him, where as AI had to completely change how these players had been playing for previous years also the run of games didn't help, had we had a more kind run we may of picked up a few more points while getting up to speed

We have already swapped O'Neil for Iraola, trouble with Brian is he'd probably like to swap Iraloa for O'Neil!
Probably not a good idea at this point with both managers doing OK and assured of another season at least in this league ..so...
....I reckon this thread could have a long life with plenty of material to work from if you consider it of any worth...it probably isn't unless you enjoy the banter..or the silly bitching which comes from some quarters that cannot accept any alternative opinions...outside the 'afcb' Party Line....appropriately 'whipped' in the assumed corridors of power..the Clique !:rolleyes:

Last edited:
He's not the only one bizarrely........ West Moore cherry is still struggling to come to terms with the departure of Gary 0 nil.
Not struggling at all. I was merely reacting to DJs post.
It is possible to believe GON should not have been sacked for pulling off a massive result in keeping us up last season (don't forget we were favourites to finish 20th that season according to the bookies) and still understand the footballing decision to let him go and support our new manager. I felt GON was harshly treated for what he managed to pull off as a fledgling manager that was dumped into the Parker situation in his first appointment in one of the toughest leagues in the world.

It is possible to believe GON should not have been sacked for pulling off a massive result in keeping us up last season (don't forget we were favourites to finish 20th that season according to the bookies) and still understand the footballing decision to let him go and support our new manager. I felt GON was harshly treated for what he managed to pull off as a fledgling manager that was dumped into the Parker situation in his first appointment in one of the toughest leagues in the world.

Agree - what what the hell did he tell the players in the last 4 matches?

Getting into Selhurst for the Palace match I was so looking forward to a team free from the shackles of relegation

So angry by the time I left, one of the worst performances I have seen from us.

Agree - what what the hell did he tell the players in the last 4 matches?

Getting into Selhurst for the Palace match I was so looking forward to a team free from the shackles of relegation

So angry by the time I left, one of the worst performances I have seen from us.
Agree. It was so weak and poor. Also showed what the players thought of him. They’d protected their income and the clubs future but clearly didn’t want to play for him in those last four games.

Ultimately though it’s a pointless debate. You’ve got people who value results over football and people who value football over results. Telling one of them they are wrong is a bit like me telling country and western fans their music choice is bad and they should listen to more hip hop.

Agree. It was so weak and poor. Also showed what the players thought of him. They’d protected their income and the clubs future but clearly didn’t want to play for him in those last four games.

Ultimately though it’s a pointless debate. You’ve got people who value results over football and people who value football over results. Telling one of them they are wrong is a bit like me telling country and western fans their music choice is bad and they should listen to more hip hop.

People who say they value football over results are liars.

It’s a spectrum though Del. I realise this is an impossible concept for you to grasp but the rest of us can so go with it….

Yes nobody wants to play great football and be beat 4-0 every week and nobody wants to have 20% possession and win 1-0 with one shot every week. It’s where you lie in the middle of these two bits.

It’s a spectrum though Del. I realise this is an impossible concept for you to grasp but the rest of us can so go with it….

Yes nobody wants to play great football and be beat 4-0 every week and nobody wants to have 20% possession and win 1-0 with one shot every week. It’s where you lie in the middle of these two bits.

Of course, we all want brilliant performances and wins every week if possible.... but nobody prefers getting beat every week with allegedly beautiful football (if that were even possible) than grinding out shitty 1-0 wins all the time. Crappy 1-0 wins aren't the best but they are always better than getting beat.

Not sure liars. Plenty have indicated on here they'd rather go down playing attractive football than 'grinding' our way to safety playing (overly) pragmatic football.

Going down provides its on set of issues, which imo are much more serious than having to 'endure' pragmatic football. Clubs future can go to total sh1t if you dont manage to bounce back immediately, for example. We'd then be back to 20 blokes on here debating about if we can hang on to our best players each window, and when tickets go on sale for for Morecombe away.

Attractive football but losing most weeks quickly becomes old imo.

I take survival and pragmatic football, over the relegation lottery, stress, uncertainty and risks that accompany it every time tbh.

What's 'deserve ' got to do with anything?....the owners wanted a better manager...should we just keep a manager just because we feel he's owed something for keeping us up?....he wasn't on 10 pound an hour you know....he got a massive pay off and is now a PL manager because we gave him a chance nobody else would have given him....we owe him fck all.

;