Gary O'Neil

I thought that the best argument against appointing GON in the first place was that the Premier League is no place for one's initial first team managerial assignment. I think it fell to Gary because there was no obviously better candidate available to AFCB at the time.
The team's performance in the final 4 matches last season raised a lot of doubts in my mind, and I suspect among those at the club as well. When a manager they had followed with interest (Iraola), with at the time a more impressive managerial track record, became available, they made a tough decision based on the information available at the time. I don't think there was any reason to believe then that GON would go on to do what he has done at Wolves.
That said, I caught parts of Wolves-Brighton yesterday, including the finish. At the end they were hanging on to their 1:0 lead with I think every available defender on the pitch, 11 behind the ball. They very nearly conceded (to the Brighton keeper!) right at the end. As one of the commentators noted, what was the plan for extra time? Had the ball bounced a little differently yesterday, the discussion here about GON right now would be a lot different, I bet.
Anyway, I wish Gary well. I hope he succeeds except when they play us. He has surprised me. I would rather have our guy than him, but some of our players need to step up. I think they will, and by the end of March we won't be spending much mental energy on Gary and the Wolves.
Always small margins in football. Liverpool won the cup on Sunday but could easily have lost it. Similarly we could have won in regular time on Tuesday too.

Gary got lucky, had a good job offer, inherited a good squad and has done very well.

I think the players let him down a bit, and parked the bus up when safe.

That's why you don't need the likes of Billing in your squad.

A tool downer.

Gary has done extremely well this year, surprisingly well.

Good luck to him, but I'd rather have Andoni guiding us to 15th, than O'Neil getting 7th.

What's the difference, apart from a newer and exciting brand of football?

The new set of players at Wolves bought into his philosophy, I don't think a continuation of our players would have, as evidenced by the last 4 games of his tenure.

Some of the dead wood needs to be moved on.

Gary started with a clean slate, and has done a great job at Wolves.

Still think Andoni is better for AFCB than O'Neil ever would be, despite our differing League positions.

Gary went from a back 4 to a back 3.

Seems to have made a bloody good decision with Wolves.

Wolves do have a way stronger squad than we do however.

Congratulations to Gary, but most will stand by the fact he would have seen our current squad struggle.

Gary's fault, Foleys fault, Hughes fault?

Not blimming sure, but I don't think Gary would have got a better tune out of our current starting 11.

All hearsay, and hearsay is just that!!

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/gary-oneil-wolves-ffp-2932521

This is a great article on how GON has transformed Wolves. He won’t be a PE teacher much longer, surely Head of Department material?
Not sure how a side that's finished 7th twice and never finished below 13th since it was promoted 5 years ago after smashing the Championship with Champions League players via a super agent and multi billionaire ownership could be labelled as "relegation fodder"

Not sure how a side that's finished 7th twice and never finished below 13th since it was promoted 5 years ago after smashing the Championship with Champions League players via a super agent and multi billionaire ownership could be labelled as "relegation fodder"
Because they were the lowest scoring team in the league last season and lack of goals is normally a sign you will be battling relegation ( unless you are Dyche at Burnley after finishing it the top half scoring less than one goal per game)

The laughable element of 'O'Neil detraction' is that homing in on those last four games performance and results as part of, and a pivotal reason, for his sacking..was somewhat of a false dawn ..in that the main job had been done... and the Players were tired and opted to 'go on the beach'...irrespective of anything O'Neil would have said about moving up the table for Monetary Gain... or any pressure from the hierarchy for the same reason.
The Players 'switched off'..and it's They that should have been punished /sacked / sold off.

Hey look...they are f√cking well doing it again.. .. 'on the beach' in February ! .. even earlier due to the assumed plight of Burnley, Sheffield Utd and only one other !

The laughable element of 'O'Neil detraction' is that homing in on those last four games performance and results as part of, and a pivotal reason, for his sacking..was somewhat of a false dawn ..in that the main job had been done... and the Players were tired and opted to 'go on the beach'...irrespective of anything O'Neil would have said about moving up the table for Monetary Gain... or any pressure from the hierarchy for the same reason.
The Players 'switched off'..and it's They that should have been punished /sacked / sold off.

Hey look...they are f√cking well doing it again.. .. 'on the beach' in February ! .. even earlier due to the assumed plight of Burnley, Sheffield Utd and only one other !
Posted by someone that didn't watch any of the last four games of last season* but still believes their opinion is far more relevant than those that did.

*Or any other games in recent history, particularly if you genuinely think the players have given up. Clueless and opinionated, two great characteristics. ;)

Good luck to him, but I'd rather have Andoni guiding us to 15th, than O'Neil getting 7th.

Definitely not. Aside from the European qualification side of it, which is enough in itself to prefer the latter, the difference between those positions last season was 22 points - Villa 61 points against AFCBs 39. Villa lost 8 fewer games than we did won seven of them and drew the other one making up the extra 22 points.

If you think of the games we did win under GON last season most were brilliant. The only drab 1-0 wins were Wolves away and Liverpool at home. Leicester away was only 1-0 but we were great that day. No way is a season with seven more wins and an extra draw worse than finishing 15th with more attacking football.

Because they were the lowest scoring team in the league last season and lack of goals is normally a sign you will be battling relegation ( unless you are Dyche at Burnley after finishing it the top half scoring less than one goal per game)
On average they only scored 1 goal fewer every 6 games than Chelsea.

Besides, taking a single stat out of context is probably one of the worst metrics as ultimately they had enough points to finish 13th in a very competitive season.

Not exactly relegation fodder is it?

On average they only scored 1 goal fewer every 6 games than Chelsea.

Besides, taking a single stat out of context is probably one of the worst metrics as ultimately they had enough points to finish 13th in a very competitive season.

Not exactly relegation fodder is it?
I was just pointing out one of the reasons quite a few media pundits/ writers had them as relegation candidates. In conjunction with the quality of players that departed, and the managerial turmoil.

Posted by someone that didn't watch any of the last four games of last season* but still believes their opinion is far more relevant than those that did.

*Or any other games in recent history, particularly if you genuinely think the players have given up. Clueless and opinionated, two great characteristics. ;)
I didn't need to see the games....enough was reported on this very Forum from those that did see the games...about the lack of commitment of our players !
Do you think our players went ' hell for leather' to beat Leicester and visualise Wembley ? ...the whole viewing world could see that they did not !

I didn't need to see the games....enough was reported on this very Forum from those that did see the games...

So in this instant the word of the forum is acceptable and even enough for you to base an opinion on…but the rest of the time it’s a flawed medium…

So in this instant the word of the forum is acceptable and even enough for you to base an opinion on…but the rest of the time it’s a flawed medium…
Well yeah....that's basically how I see it...but I can see the gist of your post....and it tbf makes my recent contribution seem smacking of downright hypocrisy..
Ok I can admit to that.
When I say flawed ..that's not meant to be conveying a totalitarian closed-shop assessment on my part....there are many aspects and certainly many posters that are Not flawed....
....but we are essentially talking of a system of communication that doesn't have the advantages of face to face social intercourse...and consequently much misinterpretation and inaccurate character assessment will occur.

I didn't need to see the games....enough was reported on this very Forum from those that did see the games...about the lack of commitment of our players !
Do you think our players went ' hell for leather' to beat Leicester and visualise Wembley ? ...the whole viewing world could see that they did not !
Name the players that weren't trying, providing you actually know the names of any...

;