Half time booing...

Toronto John - 26/2/2018 17:27

Anyone has the right to boo, call nasty names, flip the bird to the players etc. Yes they do. But do they not then forfeit their right to call themselves "supporters"? Funny old kind of support, that.

As always, I defer to you lifelong fans, I am the new guy. But, from my view on the couch last Saturday, I rewound the moments following the first half because I couldn't believe what I thought I heard. At the time, I ascribed it to Huddersfield, the two-week wait for redemption, and the unexpected second Newcastle goal. But still, not cool.

You're spot on mate.

It is easier said than done to keep a lid on it at times to be fair. Booing is stupid though.

For me booing is never justified and nor do I defend others' right to do so - booing and negativity only makes players more likely to lose confidence, tighten up further and make more errors... so, no, I don't want others to inflict that on the team when I want them to find that spark and turn things around. It's making matters worse.

However... the booing on Saturday was almost inevitable on the back of a very disappointing half capped off right at the end with a terrible goal on the stroke of half time. I don't like to hear it but it is not as bad as some of the stuff in-play when passes are misdirected or we go backwards to try to draw them out and retain possession.

You always get a certain element who think that for some reason the club owe them the earth. The moaners at half time were the same gobsh_ites you hear slagging off players so no real coincidence there.

The booers around me also booed Ritchie off when he was subbed.

Its almost like they want an excuse to show their negativity.

red_house - 26/2/2018 17:46

Its almost like they want an excuse to show their negativity.

that's sort of what I was getting at. I'm not debating that we should expect better performances now that we are a better/higher/richer team.

I'm saying that it seems the fans gave up. Properly gave up to the point where they would have left had it not been too obvious.

The performance annoyed me because it was a bit pants, but I'd never give up at 2 goals down to a poor newcastle team. there's always hope.

Francis is quoted in the Echo explaining the way AFCB play. However he and several others tend to look sideways first when there are opportunities to play the pass through to the forwards. There were several occasions on Saturday when King and later Defoe were pleading for the ball to be played into a channel for them which both Francis in particular and Cook were not looking up to see and promptly went sideways or at best diagonal.

Lets not pretend there wadsn't booing in the 'old days'. Most matches around 78-79 got roundly jeered by the few that were there.

I'm with Garbo on this one

Straight on from your point Rob , with a disclaimer that I’ve very rarely boo’ed the team , when is it acceptable ? There have been times when regime change was been desperatly needed and it’s fan power including booing performances that have got crap managers out of the club . Now obviously I’m not comparing Eddie Howe with Quinn or coming off the back of an 8 game streak in the Prem with being in the bottom three of league 1 , but that’s just the way some fans (and they are fans ) show their displeasure ..the only difference is the tolerance some fans have compared with others ...just playing devils advocate.

Just edited to say that to suggest that we’re somehow worse than any other team in that regard is ridiculous .Every teams fans do it and many are far worse than us .

Whether booing is justified or not .. It could make things worse ; as a result it could incite an argument in the dressing room at HT. .."Its not me they are booing- its you" Don't laugh, its entirely possible with some players of today(Ballotelli?)!

I will say that when I have been tempted, with my beloved Montreal Canadiens or the Toronto Blue Jays, it was more aimed at the organization than the actual players. Bad trades, signings, non-signings etc. With the current AFCB management on and off the field, and what they have done to get us where we are, they certainly do not deserve fan acrimony.

I’m not a fan of booing... the players know how they’ve played they need us to believe in them not reinforce it. At worst it should be silence as they go off and a big roar when they come back.

That said though...it’s peoples right to demonstrate their feelings as they want. Players happily accept the great trappings of the job and should also accept that there are downsides to every job. They could be changing the toner in the photocopier while driving an Astra.

Nothing wrong with booing whatsoever. I booed constantly in December, and I did so in front of my granchildren who were with me in order to set an example.

Mind you, we were at the Panto at the time.

As for booing players, never.

I don't boo the players but I am also one of those who, when we are playing badly, goes quiet, can't help myself it's in the genes. When a debate/thread like this comes up I can't help thoughts go through my mind. These include the debates we've had in the past about our goalkeeping coaching team and this week Begovic did not come for a ball, so was that him or the coaching? We are becoming quite well known to being a come back team, why can't we play like this from the beginning? Why do we sit there thinking Eddie will sort things out at half time, see previous sentence? Why one week is the Gosling/Cook combination the best thing cince sliced bread next thing, Gosling is hopeless. Why against Chelsea does the Junior Stanislas and Wilson combination work brillliantly and against Newcastle they are bawling each other out. What happened to Harry? Why do we beat Arsenal and Chelsea well and then we can't cope against Huddersfield and nearly Newcastle? Why are we so inconsistent?

afcb_rednblack - 26/2/2018 23:12

Nothing wrong with booing whatsoever. I booed constantly in December, and I did so in front of my granchildren who were with me in order to set an example.

Mind you, we were at the Panto at the time.

As for booing players, never.

Tbh booing is too good for some of the idiots I've seen at the Pavilion in the last couple of years.

Five minutes we were shouting at these fools that a ghost was sneaking up behind them and it was almost as if they were deliberately looking in the wrong direction. They basically got picked off one-by-one in the end. No sympathy from me.

All fans want to see is 100% effort and if they can't do that for the sport they love and a couple of million quid per year, then they'll have to suck up a few boos.

Fan favourites are not necessarily the best players, but those that try their hardest. If players are running their socks off and going in for 50/50s, they won't get boos, regardless of how they're actually playing. The same goes for all clubs, not just us.

Great comments Redpost.I also tend to go quiet when things are going bad,but have been prone to verbal outbursts such as “for ***** sake shoot”,but no booing for me.

...do the majority of players actually care about the fans?

we saw Stanislas react poorly to him being barracked...we hear Francis bemoaning fans support...Boruc in the past has shown disgust at the crowd, as has Arter...

Let's not kid ourselves shall we?

Booing is part of the game....we should get over it, most people can let off steam at matches and whilst it isn't great to hear booing it just means that many are upset at the way the team is performing and want to get that message to them?

Does it really matter that we are in The PL? a poor performance is the same in any league match

Garbo - 27/2/2018 07:45

...do the majority of players actually care about the fans?

we saw Stanislas react poorly to him being barracked...we hear Francis bemoaning fans support...

To be fair to Francis he was asked a leading question by an ohec jounalist and had to make some sort of reply.

Its a shame they aren't so quick to ask pertinent questions of the club such as how are the stadium plans progressing.

Don't have a problem with booing at halftime, as long as the home fans have done their part. Which we hadn't, and as long as we as fans at least try and support the players at the start of the second half, which we didn't. The players dragged themselves back into despite the fans.

;