Hyndman loan

Fraser made mention of it :

Speaking to the Guardian, Fraser has suggested that during his time at Scottish Premiership side Aberdeen, he let his weight slip, but has gone on to change his lifestyle completely to challenge in the best league in the world.

“It all stemmed from Aberdeen. I used to have Domino's all the time and ice creams from Baskin Robbins. I think up there, I don't want to sound disrespectful because the standard was good, but it was a lot better down here.

"I think even if I was eating rubbish up there I could get away with it, whereas down here I got found out straight away. People knew that I wasn't doing the best for my body, which has all changed now.

I can remember back in the 80s, after English clubs had been kicked out of Europe, that a lot of top players went north to play in Scotland, because they could pay higher wages at the time !

Nothing stays the same forever in football, and who knows, one day these EPL riches may be just a distant memory.....

Look. I didn't come on here to have a go at AFC Bournemouth ( sorry if I missed the AFC bit before, like everybody I just call the club Bournemouth and no offence was intended ) I only came on to defend my club against what I saw as a dismissive attitude to it by some folk who appear to know little about it, and I'm not blaming them for that, but like me a wee bit of research on Wikipedia before just dismissing a club never hurts ….. in those circumstances any fan would feel compelled to draw a few comparisons in order to show that their own club measures up pretty well in the grand scheme of things.
FYI .. I was aware of the trials and tribulations of your club before I checked out Wiki …. they were fairly well documented and I certainly don't grudge you your relative success now, its what every fan dreams of.

I absolutely agree that given our relative size if Hibs had been an English club we wouldn't have the European history we do ( yeh most of it was a long time ago lol ) but that doesn't change the fact that we have beaten some giants in the past and that its something to be proud of.

Anyway, as I said before, though some folk appear to have missed it, I have nothing against AFC Bournemouth as a club or the folk who support them and genuinely wish you good luck for the season ahead. Good start by the way.

Fair play for responding to the grief we dished out. No doubt you were defending your club for the same reasons we defended ours.

A couple of points you made were always likely to get a reaction on here because we are well used to the same old comments from other club's fans who appear to think we should know our place and accept that we should go back to our rightful place in the lower leagues. We may well do just that but I for one will never accept that my club has less legitimacy than any other club no matter what metric you want to measure it by.

That said any club that is supported predominantly by people from the local area is alright by me and I would imagine that Hibs fall firmly into that category. The real enemy is the global megaclubs that have long since sold their soul to attract support from anywhere and everywhere. These clubs are half the reason our club has not been able to move to the next level historically despite having a relatively large catchment area.

Incidentally, the name thing tends to bring out our pedantic side because Bournemouth FC is an actual club that exists and was founded the same year as Hibs in 1875 - 20 odd years before the cherries.

I got something out of this thread. I'll admit I know bugger all about Scottish football, so I googled Hibs and had a good old read up. I was very surprised/impressed by the stadium, crowds etc. I hadn't even realised they were in Edinburgh. Interesting stuff, so thank you @Hibby

Fair play for responding to the grief we dished out. No doubt you were defending your club for the same reasons we defended ours.

A couple of points you made were always likely to get a reaction on here because we are well used to the same old comments from other club's fans who appear to think we should know our place and accept that we should go back to our rightful place in the lower leagues. We may well do just that but I for one will never accept that my club has less legitimacy than any other club no matter what metric you want to measure it by.

That said any club that is supported predominantly by people from the local area is alright by me and I would imagine that Hibs fall firmly into that category. The real enemy is the global megaclubs that have long since sold their soul to attract support from anywhere and everywhere. These clubs are half the reason our club has not been able to move to the next level historically despite having a relatively large catchment area.

Incidentally, the name thing tends to bring out our pedantic side because Bournemouth FC is an actual club that exists and was founded the same year as Hibs in 1875 - 20 odd years before the cherries.

I certainly didn't know that mate … makes the AFC part important then, I'll remember to use it in future.

Sadly you are right about the global aspect of the 'mega clubs' and the diluting of the local guy supports local club tradition of bygone days. Its not a new thing in Scotland though with the Old Firm sucking up half of the countries supporters between them … As a Dundee fan once said when he was asked if he thought the city was big enough to support two full time clubs ….. his answer was "what are you on about, we already support four" .. a reference to the Old Firm glory hunters who pollute every Scottish town and ignore their local less successful clubs.

I'm willing to bet the guy who posted on this thread bigging up The The Rangers 2012 doesn't have a Glasgow postcode. AFC Bournemouth I have no doubt have always leeched 'fans' to Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

Last edited:
I got something out of this thread. I'll admit I know bugger all about Scottish football, so I googled Hibs and had a good old read up. I was very surprised/impressed by the stadium, crowds etc. I hadn't even realised they were in Edinburgh. Interesting stuff, so thank you @Hibby

I think, as another poster said, that every club has its history and its unique aspects that its fans are proud of and AFC Bournemouth will be no different, I'm well aware of that fact. For me the guy who follows the lowliest club with no hope of ever winning anything is as good, if not better, a fan as folk who follow clubs where 3 years without a trophy is a disaster ….. my brother born in Manchester and a Man Utd fan being a case in point lol.

I never had interest in premier league footy until being forced to by circumstance! still makes me feel uncomfortable. but it is good entertainment, I can't deny that.

born in Manchester and a Man Utd fan

a very rare specimen, the true mancunian supports FC United and/or Salford City

I certainly didn't know that mate … makes the AFC part important then, I'll remember to use it in future.

Sadly you are right about the global aspect of the 'mega clubs' and the diluting of the local guy supports local club tradition of bygone days. Its not a new thing in Scotland though with the Old Firm sucking up half of the countries supporters between them … As a Dundee fan once said when he was asked if he thought the city was big enough to support two full time clubs ….. his answer was "what are you on about, we already support four" .. a reference to the Old Firm glory hunters who pollute every Scottish town and ignore their local less successful clubs.

I'm willing to bet the guy who posted on this thread bigging up The The Rangers 2012 doesn't have a Glasgow postcode. AFC Bournemouth I have no doubt have always leeched 'fans' to Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

This is one of the main frustrations of our current situation - our club has never had a period of success like this and if you go to any local school, playing field or just walk through town now you'll see cherries shirts outnumber Man Utd, etc shirts ten-to-one. This simply wasn't the case when most of us were growing up no matter what period. All great news until you realise that none of these kids can get in to see them with our current ground as it is. The legacy of our financial troubles has meant that redevelopment hasn't yet got off the ground and, ironically, the huge increase in non- matchday revenue has meant that there is less incentive to spend money on the ground compared to the squad.

Arguably if we'd have had this purple patch years ago like Watford, Ipswich, etc (smaller towns than Bournemouth) they'd have developed the ground into something much bigger back then. Older posters will tell you (and probably correct me) that we nearly did this in the 70s yet narrowly missed promotion and promptly lost our management and players and the chance was missed. Our 1980s purple patch could have resulted in post-Hillsborough ground improvements but, again that ended in failure on the pitch coupled with a mass hooligan event that turned the local council and public against the club for decades. When we were eventually forced to rebuild the ground we had to do it on a shoestring and eventually were so skint that we had to sell it (people will argue that we didn't have to sell it). This is our big chance to change the club forever and many are fearful that the current chance will also be missed.

Obviously I only speak for myself but I reckon if you ask most AFCB fans who have been following them for longer than ten years what they reckon about the premier league they will say that, whilst it has it's plusses and has been a right laugh, the long term prospects for non top six teams are fairly dull. As long as we get a bigger ground and set AFCB up for years to come I won't be too upset when we eventually go down... Ok I probably will.

;