Hyndman loan

Hello Cherries fans. Or at least the ones who supported the club before you became a Premier League 'giant'

I came onto this thread to see your opinion of the lad Hyndman because of his loan to the club I support Hibernian FC. Imagine my dismay to see the usual ill informed and bog standard clichés dissing not only Scottish football, but more annoyingly my club. First off FYI the club he is allegedly 'stepping down from' ( Rangers ) have barely been able to buy a win against Hibs for about 5 years … especially at Ibrox.

Though we don't always succeed, what Hibs are known for is attractive attacking football played from the back … and that is our style at the moment, we usually score piles of goals. Your lad should fit in well at Easter Road and enjoy our training centre, which matches up to anything most big English clubs can boast … we are about to build a full sized indoor pitch to top it off.

He should also enjoy our crowd, which last season was an average of 18,000 …. This season we have 13,500 season ticket holders, nearly 4,000 more than your current stadium can hold. Our record attendance at Easter Road is 65,000 and in any match 143,000.

And now the history:

Formed in 1875 by Irish immigrants to Edinburgh, hence the name and colours, Hibernian were the first British club to play in Europe reaching the semi final of the European cup. Other Scottish clubs to reach European semis or finals are Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Dundee and Kilmarnock … not forgetting Celtic and Rangers ( boo hiss ) who have reached multiple semis and finals.

We were the first British club to beat Real Madrid, and the first British club to beat Barcelona in competition. Other clubs to fall at Easter Road Include Napoli with the great Dino Zoff in goals who were humped 5 - 0 to overturn a 4 goal first leg deficit … Napoli were top of the Italian league at the time. Sporting Lisbon, humped 6 - 1 in the Cup winners cup. In the 75/76 season we were the only team to beat Liverpool as they went on to win the UEFA cup. We have crushed other European teams big and small.

We are also the only British club to be mentioned in the first ever official history of Brazilian football, with a tour we had there being credited with introducing passing free attacking football to that country.

These glory days are gone now as the game has become more about money. But Scottish clubs can still give an account of themselves as Aberdeen proved a fortnight ago taking Burnley to extra time in the Europa League …. the difference in the value of the teams was over £100,000,000. Our league, contrary to ill informed opinion is not full of cloggers.

Hibs have a fan culture and a place in pop culture that many clubs can only dream of …. hell, even our hooligans make it into print, though thankfully we don't have much of a problem any more.

For more on Hibs, what our fans are like and what its like watching the club check out You Tube and have your blinkered eyes opened. I get the dismissive arrogance of the likes of those EPL fanboys who support the likes of Man Utd or Chelsea …. but its only 10 short years since you guys were within weeks of oblivion, before which you had barely set foot out of league 1 or its equivalent in over 100 years and a crowd approaching 10,000 for one of your league games would have had your chairman pissing his pants in excitement.

When it comes to pedigree Bournemouth FC can only dream of being able to match up to Hibs. But I as a Hibs fan would never diss your club because of it, the guys who stuck with it all the way deserve respect and to have their club respected as well … so all I would ask you is to remember where you came from before the Russian oligarchs and insane TV money and remind yourselves, and especially the new found 'fans' who couldn't have cared less about the club before that, that you have a long long way to go before you can be so arrogantly dismissive of other folks clubs or the league they play in.

Oh, and for the guy who posted above …. Hibs are many things, but "mediocre" ? …. from a fan of a club who in the eyes of many would be viewed as the very definition of that term that is a laughable comment.

Rant over. I am sorry if my post has offended anybody, but when I see ill informed rubbish spouted about my great club I get a bit miffed. Anyway ..... Good luck to Bournemouth this season, the folk who have always stuck with the club deserve that at least.
Err **************** off

Slow down, Derek!
The guy is fanatically devoted to his club, as most of us on here are, and wanted to defend it against what he saw as an underestimation of it by some here. It doesn't matter that he didn't know our official name is "AFC Bournemouth", in fact he doesn't need to know anything about our club.
The thread is about Hyndman, and where he is going on loan. He provided some helpful (if a bit rose-tinted, but he's a fan) information about Hibs which I'm sure should be reassuring to many of us as it seems he's gone to a better club than we initially thought.
No this guy thinks we need some kind of lesson. We don't.

Bemused by the fact that most comments regarding Scottish football on this thread and others was the quality, saying that most sides are Championship at best and League One and League Two at worst.

The Hibs fan takes offence to this to then go on to say they'd make a fist of it in the Championship...

There are probably a few of us older Cherries who remember Hibs halcyon days in the 1950s with the great Lawrie Reilly and the rest of the "Famous Five", and it would be great if Hibs could re-establish themeselves to that level again and give Celtic a run for their money.
It is really sad that the seemingly unending stream of truly great footballing Scots (far too numerous to mention) that flowed so freely decade after decade seems to have completely dried up these days. This must be a factor in the quality of the Scottish League these days. We miss the Anglos in our Leagues as well.
English football, which used to rely on these great players, has been able to make up for the lack of them by importing players of equal quality from every other country in the world, not something open to Scottish teams due to the great disparity in wealth between the leagues.
There was a comment from a Scot in the Guardian a few days ago regretting the lack of these players in England. He was able to list only three Scots in the Premier League, and one of those (Matt Ritchie) is really English, but he did manage to overlook our own Ryan Fraser who is currently in the form of his life and up there with some of the most exciting attackers in the PL.
What has happened in Scotland to stop all the boys these days from growing up like those of former generations who took up the game at an early age and turned into superstars when they grew up. Why has Scotland stopped producing them?

Hyndman needs to improve off the ball to be EPL ready.

Likes to play the ball on the ground so should be a good fit for a passing side.

Enjoy the season,

Out of interest Mr. Hibby, do you have a kind of friendship thing going with Celtic, given the similarities in history, culture, etc ?

Get this Hibby tw*t off our message board please admin.

Started out us saying it was a poor move due to poor quality in the SPL and now given a history lesson about when they beat Real Madrid over 50 years ago and for some reason attendances have been brought up like that has a major bearing on anything.

It's a poor move due to the fact he's basically playing League 1 football for a season, nothing else and nothing Hibs fans or anyone else in the SPL can argue with. They've just sold their best player to a play off chasing Champ team so that show's the standard.

Hibs won the Scottish cup in 2015-16, before that you’ve got to go back over 110 years since their previous Scottish cup win.

They haven’t won the league since 51-52 season. Hardly a great trophy haul for the biggest club in Scotland’s capital city.

Down here they would just be another run of the mill club. Likewise up there by law of averages we would have won the odd trophy here and there with several European jaunts thrown in.

Celtic would be in the bottom 6 in the PL without a shadow of doubt. their only hope would be to hang on to PL status for a few years grabbing the cash and then being able to improve their side.

First off FYI the club he is allegedly 'stepping down from' ( Rangers ) have barely been able to buy a win against Hibs for about 5 years … especially at Ibrox.

Oh nurse, my aching sides, get me a bucket.

Has this pillock not noticed that, unlike Hibs, Rangers actually are a massive club with proper history and good crowds.

Stepping down from Rangers to Hibs?

More like a drop that needs a parachute to break his fall.

Hibby can have this one on me, just swap a few lyrics, bung in some bag pipes and you've got a proper terrace dirge for him.

Well it couldn't be anymore shite than sunshine on Leith..............................

The proper history begins in 2012 when TheRFC were admitted to the sfl league3.
Hibs have won the scottish cup beating therfc in their first ever final.

Hibs turnover last year was £7.7 million..thats £4 million less than Burton Albion

AFC Bournemouth £136 million (whispers as we aren't all big billy bollox about it)

Its no wonder Scottish Football simply can't compete and the standard of football is slip sliding away. I see St Johnstone held the mighty Hibs today and our lad played 60 odd minutes. Like others say he needs a step up and that should have been the Championship as the Wee man did.

ps..

Hibs forum even has a thread on the money situation from yesterday ...and guess what - we're subject to their wrath., no surprise there.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?...-spending!&s=3bff95dd2ad7e6d83ef71387455dc56b

Last edited:
Out of interest Mr. Hibby, do you have a kind of friendship thing going with Celtic, given the similarities in history, culture, etc ?

Its a fair question mate, but the emphatic answer is no we don't. We view them as the slightly less obnoxious Glasgow are cheek and that's as far as it goes. Check out our delight that our star man went to Aston Villa instead of them.

Look. I didn't come on here to have a go at AFC Bournemouth ( sorry if I missed the AFC bit before, like everybody I just call the club Bournemouth and no offence was intended ) I only came on to defend my club against what I saw as a dismissive attitude to it by some folk who appear to know little about it, and I'm not blaming them for that, but like me a wee bit of research on Wikipedia before just dismissing a club never hurts ….. in those circumstances any fan would feel compelled to draw a few comparisons in order to show that their own club measures up pretty well in the grand scheme of things.
FYI .. I was aware of the trials and tribulations of your club before I checked out Wiki …. they were fairly well documented and I certainly don't grudge you your relative success now, its what every fan dreams of.

I absolutely agree that given our relative size if Hibs had been an English club we wouldn't have the European history we do ( yeh most of it was a long time ago lol ) but that doesn't change the fact that we have beaten some giants in the past and that its something to be proud of.

Anyway, as I said before, though some folk appear to have missed it, I have nothing against AFC Bournemouth as a club or the folk who support them and genuinely wish you good luck for the season ahead. Good start by the way.

What I find interesting whenever the topic of our PL transfers come up, is how fast (instantly) our capacity is brought up. When was the last time ground capacity and gate money had a direct relation to a club's ability to spend?

For my two pennies worth (and I'd be interested in the thoughts of those of a slightly older vintage than myself). since the time of Nottm Forest signing the first million pound player onwards, a club's spending has been more related to an owner's investment and bankrolling, than it has to gate money. Clough in his book says something along the lines that directors should only be there to sign off cheques and keep their mouths shut.

Only prior to that, when players moved only for nominal fees and who's wages weren't significantly more than the average bloke, could club budgets be wholy covered by the average blokes in the street. And thus their number through the gates was the defining factor in a club's budget.

Of course the Premier League era supercharged that inflation due to all the income streams that the PL machine has managed to conjure up. We've just come along at the end of a decades long line of progressive inflation in owner underwritten spending.

Most clubs who sneer at us had a period of success, somewhere in decades past, on which to build a fan base. We never really had that, bar fleeting years here and there that faded away with teams being sold off to pay bills. But in the minds of many of our competitors and commenters, there seems to be an invisible cut off point somewhere in perhaps the 80s, whereby if you weren't successful by then, you seemingly have no right to ever be successful in the present or future.

Thankfully all the kids running around our conurbation kitted out in their Cherries merchandise don't give a flying fig about such comments. They just enjoy living near to a successful side. Maybe at some point we'll have the capacity to get them all in the ground every week, and build that legacy fan base that everyone else seems to base the legitimacy of all spending on.

Last edited:
There are probably a few of us older Cherries who remember Hibs halcyon days in the 1950s with the great Lawrie Reilly and the rest of the "Famous Five", and it would be great if Hibs could re-establish themeselves to that level again and give Celtic a run for their money.
It is really sad that the seemingly unending stream of truly great footballing Scots (far too numerous to mention) that flowed so freely decade after decade seems to have completely dried up these days. This must be a factor in the quality of the Scottish League these days. We miss the Anglos in our Leagues as well.
English football, which used to rely on these great players, has been able to make up for the lack of them by importing players of equal quality from every other country in the world, not something open to Scottish teams due to the great disparity in wealth between the leagues.
There was a comment from a Scot in the Guardian a few days ago regretting the lack of these players in England. He was able to list only three Scots in the Premier League, and one of those (Matt Ritchie) is really English, but he did manage to overlook our own Ryan Fraser who is currently in the form of his life and up there with some of the most exciting attackers in the PL.
What has happened in Scotland to stop all the boys these days from growing up like those of former generations who took up the game at an early age and turned into superstars when they grew up. Why has Scotland stopped producing them?

The answer to that is pretty simple mate. The EPL giants are now plundering the world for the best players, not just Scotland any more. The massive TV money has trickled down to the nether regions of English football and with even the smallest clubs able to out pay most Scottish premiership clubs in wages our best young talent is being snapped up way before they are ready, lured by double or treble the pay they can earn in Scotland.

Jason Cummings at Hibs being a case in point, a goal scorer but raw as they come. Before he had even kicked a ball in the SPL after Hibs came back up he was away to Nottingham forest, when it was as clear as the nose on your face that he needed a season in the top league before moving. Now on loan at Peterborough Utd.

Scott Allan …. A supremely talented player who practically nobody on here will have heard of, went to WBA after 6 months in Dundee Utd's first team and bombed because he just wasn't ready … he does have an attitude problem though, which only Hibs have been able to tame in two hugely successful loan spells …. back in Celtic's reserves.

Islam Feruz …. A wonder kid who was in Scotland's youth teams the second he was eligible. Turned down a new contract at Celtic for the big money at Chelsea. Came on loan to Hibs and this child who had never kicked a ball in anger in any British top flight match turned up in a Porche with an ego to go with it ….. currently in the where are they now file and IMO ruined by far too much money far too young.

Ryan Gauld …. The Scottish Messi apparently … who after a handful of games in Dundee Utd's first team was snapped up by Sporting Lisbon ( or Sporting clube de Portugal for the pedants on here ) it was a brave move for a young kid, but he has only managed a handful of first team games in 3 years, spending the rest of his time out on loan. Two full seasons at Dundee Utd would have served him far better.

The list goes on and on ….. Kids lured away by the bigger money they can earn outside of Scotland before they were anywhere near ready by clubs with enough money to be able to pay big wages for promise rather than a far more fully fledged player, which all of these guys would have been if they had been left where they were.

What I find interesting whenever the topic of our PL transfers come up, is how fast (instantly) our capacity is brought up. When was the last time ground capacity and gate money had a direct relation to a club's ability to spend?

For my two pennies worth (and I'd be interested in the thoughts of those of a slightly older vintage than myself). since the time of Nottm Forest signing the first million pound player onwards, a club's spending has been more related to an owner's investment and bankrolling, than it has to gate money. Clough in his book says something along the lines that directors should only be there to sign off cheques and keep their mouths shut.

Only prior to that, when players moved only for nominal fees and who's wages weren't significantly more than the average bloke, could club budgets be wholy covered by the average blokes in the street. And thus their number through the gates was the defining factor in a club's budget.

Of course the Premier League era supercharged that inflation due to all the income streams that the PL machine has managed to conjure up. We've just come along at the end of a decades long line of progressive inflation in owner underwritten spending.

Most clubs who sneer at us had a period of success, somewhere in decades past, on which to build a fan base. We never really had that, bar fleeting years here and there that faded away with teams being sold off to pay bills. But in the minds of many of our competitors and commenters, there seems to be an invisible cut off point somewhere in perhaps the 80s, whereby if you weren't successful by then, you seemingly have no right to ever be successful in the present or future.

Thankfully all the kids running around our conurbation kitted out in their Cherries merchandise don't give a flying fig about such comments. They just enjoy living near to a successful side. Maybe at some point we'll have the capacity to get them all in the ground every week, and build that legacy fan base that everyone else seems to base the legitimacy of all spending on.

That's a good post mate and its bang on. From the outside looking in though nobody can deny that the money in the EPL is insane. Clubs are spending a hundred million quid just to stand still. The worrying thing for fans should be that in value to their clubs commercially they are fast becoming little better than an afterthought, with the money they pay to watch dwarfed by sponsorship and TV cash.

It wouldn't be the first time the owner or CEO of a big club committed football's biggest crime of referring to their clubs fans as 'customers' ….. Newcastle Utd and Aston Villa board members if I recall correctly … That's the biggest threat money poses to the English game, a loss of the connection between clubs and fans and clubs forgetting that when the **************** hits the fan it will be the loyal supporters who the will need to save them …… not SKY or BT ….. I would guess nobody working at AFC Bournemouth should need reminding of that, but oh how quickly money can make folk forget.

;