Jack Wilshere

thefiendofkingspark - 1/9/2016 21:15

Blimey guys.

It was John Sainty who scored a hat trick against Aldershot and then was sold to them.

Derek Showers moved on to Pompey and never scored a hat trick for us.

Howard Goddard, not Kevin Reeves, scored a hat trick against Southwick in the cup.

Kevin Reeves scored a hat trick against Southport in November 1976, the next AFCB hat trick was Don Givens v Aldershot in April 1980 and there wasn't another one until Tommy Heffernan scored three against Millwall in January 1983.
:yikes: I remember all of the above

John Sainty's hat-trick at Aldershot was our last in an away league game for nearly 25 years, when James Hayter got four at Bury in the year Defoe came on loan.
The third goal that Sainty scored was when the Aldershot goalkeeper was rolling the ball out or something, and Sainty came in and nicked it into the net. I missed it as I was looking up the field where I expected the goalie's drop kick to come down.

Aldershot suffered a one point deduction in the 74/75 season when they signed Sainty due to an error in the submission of the transfer papers. They only avoided relegation through a better goal average.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere because cant find it but been on talksport and some papers today.

Leaving aside the PR spin with the lovely reasons why Jack is here the real reason is now out! We were the only club that didnt insist on a pay per play or injury release clause. If Jack disappears after 5 mins on Sat and never plays again this season we will still play his entire wage of 90k a week until June and his full fee.

Palace and Roma point blank refused that.

Its a gamble with potential huge upside and downside. What are peoples thoughts?

If that is what it took to sign him then I'm all for it. We were in desperate need of a player of his type.

I've seen so many reasons why he joined us and why he didn't join others all contradicting each other, I don't think we will ever know the truth of what the real reasons were or what the deal entailed.

Bottom line is we can afford it so as far as I am concerned, there is no issue whatsoever here.

paul49 - 4/9/2016 18:07

Does thatt mean he can play against Arsenal?

No. All loans between PL clubs do not allow the loanee to play against their parent club.

We'll lose both games with or without him so it doesn't make a blind bit of difference anyway.

A big risk, but if that was one of the things that got us over the line then Maxim and the Board wanted to go for it.

Doesn't mean any of the other reasons don't apply though.

Plus, its cheesed off so many people so that in itself was worth it.

It's a gamble but I'd still say it's less ofca gamble than signing a £10 million striker from abroad as your key player to make the difference to your season.

True, you could be Swansea and get Bony. Or you could be Norwich and get the Dutch flop whose name escapes me.

I think it was the right thing to do. If we hadn't and so Arsenal had entertained the other offers I suspect he wouldn't be here.

I imaged this would be the case when we signed him, surely it's thr only way we could secure a player like that, by taking a gamble other clubs wouldn't.

If UEL is correct and we had 20m left in the kitty, gambling 5-6 of it on this seems feasible.

The upside is that when arsenal inevitably suffer an injury crisis, they can't recall him, hopefully when he's doing well for us.

Neil Dawson - 4/9/2016 18:00

If Jack disappears after 5 mins on Sat and never plays again this season we will still play his entire wage of 90k a week until June and his full fee.

We'd pay it? Or some insurance company would pay it?

My opinion, it's not my money, it's the club's owners money. If they and Eddie choose to gamble £5 million bringing a player of Jack Wilshere's calibre to the club, I'm not going to moan about it. If he stays fit, the gamble will have paid off, if not, it's a sliding scale of cost v value.

One thing it has done is raise our club's profile, in this country and around the world : )

Someone on Talksport this morning queried why Arsenal didn't loan him out for one or two months only. None of their so called experts know anything about rules, so it's unlikely they know anything about t/f deals either.

Are we allowed to adapt and old favourite.??
Super, super Jack
Super, super Jack
Super, super Jack
Super Jacky Wilshere

Sure the big man wouldn't mind.!!!

Since they're such good mates...

Hit Afobe, Jack
And we'll score one more, one more, one more, one more

Repeat ad nauseam

I'm with the majority on this one....worth it. I also think we will manage his training well and build a team around him so he may well have less donkey work which will ease life. No european football and he has got as much chance of playing hockey for England ladies as he has playing in the Efl or Fa cups with our normal squad rotation! Should be manageable!

;