Jefferson Lerma

hmm I don’t think whether a player is happy here or not comes into it if the board need big wages off the books like with begovic and maybe rico - it’s not the player’s decision

do we really need all of billing/emi/pearson/cook/killkenny and Jeff for the 3 CM spots?

hmm I don’t think whether a player is happy here or not comes into it if the board need big wages off the books like with begovic and maybe rico - it’s not the player’s decision

do we really need all of billing/emi/pearson/cook/killkenny and Jeff for the 3 CM spots?
No. We should be looking to offload Jeff at the right price. 10m or above I’d say would be fair, not a hope in hell of recouping what we paid for him. Either that or get a nice loan fee by sending him out for a season. We should be focussing on getting bodies in now though tbh.

Yes lots of games to be played, injuries and suspensions to cope with.

But that was the point I was making. The very fact that the club chose to publish an interview with him about his summer and how he was finding working with Parker makes it seem unlikely that the club have him on the "must be sold" list.
I wouldn't rule out our selling him if the right offer came in and he was prepared to leave but it certainly doesn't seem as though he is one of the players we are looking to move on in this window.

The way I see it though, Emi and Billing are our only real 'attacking' CMs out of that bunch, with Pearson, L.Cook, Jeff and Kilkenny being more holding.

... and from the end of last season and Saturday, Billing is almost now a No.10 so probably needs to be moved upfield in the groupings...

At the end of the day, if the club are happy to keep Jeff here then they can obviously afford him... The initial fee for Surridge basically pays Jeff's wages for the season... So if you look at it like that... Saying bye to Sam has meant we can keep Jeff for another year...

I'd quite fancy seeing Lerma in the more advanced Billing/Marcondes role pressing high and getting shots off. Leave the holding/playmaking role to Cook, Pearson, Kilkenny.
I'd be interested to know which position Jeff would prefer to play. At times he picks out some beautiful passes, so there does seem to be quite a creative player in there somewhere. I have always wondered if he enjoys the midfield enforcer role we have given him or if he would prefer to be further forward, getting in defenders faces and helping to create scoring opportunities for others ( and possibly himself although his shooting has been pretty wayward more often than not :eek: ).

Lerma played in an advanced role under Tindall and did quite well for us, scoring a couple I think, however, Billing seems to have grabbed that spot for the immediate future courtesy of Woodgate's tinkering... He seems to be a better player in a more advanced role also...

Lerma played in an advanced role under Tindall and did quite well for us, scoring a couple I think, however, Billing seems to have grabbed that spot for the immediate future courtesy of Woodgate's tinkering... He seems to be a better player in a more advanced role also...
I suppose if you view Jeff as a utility player in this way ( i.e midfield enforcer when required, replacement for Billing should he ever get injured and we have cover for defensive midfield ) then it makes even more sense to keep him in the squad.

It will be interesting to see if Parker typecasts players or is happy to play them in a different position from time to time, should the situation demand it.

Maybe this season Jeff will get the opportunity to mix it up a bit more than in the past. I think it could be good for the team and good for Jeff if Parker can envisage Jeff as something other than merely our steel in midfield.

But isn't Marcondes also an attacking midfielder.

I think that once enough holding midfielders are back it will be one of Billing and Marcondes. I think Marcondes will be more consistent and it's not like we will miss Billing's prowess at defending corners!

Given Brooks can cover central midfield when he's on form ( I remember very good cup game at Chelsea) then the versatility of players actually might avoid the need to have a very large squad and hang onto Billing or Lerma if a bid comes in.

It's all subject to how Danjuma situation is resolved, and what that means for the formation.

Some Spanish tweets suggesting a bid of 10m Euros from Valencia, so around £8.5m. That would be some loss but he’s probably on fairly big money.
It's reported that Valencia are close to signing Chelsea's young midfielder Trevor Chalobah on a season long loan. Their finances are quite tight and they have numerous potential outgoing deals which may or may not happen. I guess they're looking to fund any permanent deals from those (bit like us).

A lot of factors seem to need to fall into place for most transfers at the moment!

Lerma....is he
I'd quite fancy seeing Lerma in the more advanced Billing/Marcondes role pressing high and getting shots off. Leave the holding/playmaking role to Cook, Pearson, Kilkenny.

Without being rude ( I'm in a pub(s)...but how does you fit all 9 of them into midfield at once..
FFs...call the Bosun..I've lost my bearings...its a bikkin stormy South Westerly blowing through Liskeard this savo ..an' I'm in sandals....wid socks !

Lerma....is he

Without being rude ( I'm in a pub(s)...but how does you fit all 9 of them into midfield at once..
FFs...call the Bosun..I've lost my bearings...its a bikkin stormy South Westerly blowing through Liskeard this savo ..an' I'm in sandals....wid socks !
Well one day we might be allowed to field about 16 players :D but in the meantime it'll be 11 players rotated as form and injuries dictate, as the 46+ game season grinds on.

Enjoy the pub(s)!

Do people not realise ever year hear his value goes down as his contract gets shorter

I’m not sure that holds true. We are hoping to sell Danjuma for a profit and I think he has the same amount of time left on his contract. I accept that Lerma’s value might have fallen for a number of reasons but highlighting a potential £16m loss is a fair observation IMO.

A loss? Boscomb. ..i removed the e for Economy...perish the thought..monetary loss ? .aiw wowwa
.turn that upside down and sort of about face..you get Momma Mia!

Last edited:

;