Jefferson Lerma

Jeff doubled his money going to Palace also going to what he and his family consider a better location. Pretty much anyone would take that.

Indeed and I don’t begrudge him that, I think when he very first signed he always had the intention to let his contract run out and take the big pay day move. That’s totally his prerogative.

The important thing was he obviously acted professionally throughout and remained committed whilst here, otherwise, he’d have been chucked into the wilderness like Jordan Zemura was.

He would have fitted perfectly into AI philosophy.

A defensive player who can score goals with no corner or free kick duties

We got left with Cook.

Lerma, 176 appearnces 12 goals
Cook, 174 appearances 2 goals (none in PL)

Cook should be considered as an England player the fanboys say.

He will be replaced by Adams and Andoni knows it....hence why he was a centre back today.

Let's find new positions for the players who aren't performing.

Outtara a 20 million dollar winger is now a left back.

Let's try Cook at centre back, now Adams is fit.

Loving Andonis Guillermo, but can't see Cook or Outtara in next seasons starting 11.

Let's be honest, Outtara, bar the Tottenham goal has been worse than Traore, who at least Napoli took a chance on.

There would be ZERO PL clubs who would look to sign Outtara at this stage, or on recent (10 months) form.

An absolute waste of a squad place, who everyone wants to come right.

Can't see it happening, he's completely erratic.
I know Adams comes with a big reputation, but I try to ignore that and form an opinion using my own eyeballs. So far of the little we've seen of Adams, I have seen nothing to say he's nailed on to start for us.

My current expectation longer term is that Cook and Adams will compete and rotate for the deeper midfield spot. We can let them duke it out in the summer through pre-season.

For now, a crucial part of turning around our form this season was stumbling upon Cook and Christie as a midfield partnership. They've just kinda.. clicked together. AI football is about a structure being greater than the sum of it's parts and they seem to work.

Look at last night when we tried faffing around with it, adding Scott and Billing to the equation, moving Cook around. It was crap, until we reverted to a more normal shape and reunited Cook and Christie. Then we got on top.

So for now, IMHO I'd advise sticking with what works, and throwing Adams in for 20 minute stints to freshen it up and bed him in.

Come the summer - have at it gents, one of you make the position your own.

Did we over pay for Dango? Yes probably. Useful player to have on the bench though, now we've found several other positions for him.

Personally, I don’t think much of Lerma now he’s left. He’s no longer our player, I have zip all affinity to him or loyalty to him. Why should I? Because he was once popular with some of our supporters?

It’s not like he left for a better club and opportunities like a Nathan Ake, he left swapping ultimately one relegation threatened bottom half squad for another relegation bottom half squad and claimed it was for a different challenge…when we all know it was for the money.

That leaves you open to a bit of Mickey taking when we play against him. Nothing more nothing less.

Spot on, don't dislike Lerma at all and I loved him when he was here... but he's gone and to a bang average side so he's just another former player to me these days. Good luck to him but he doesn't deserve any special adulation from supporters.

Supposition ......we can only go on what we know as fact.....Jeff stayed for two seasons in the Championship.....the likes of Wilson ....Ramsdale and Ake all jumped ship.

We know the best club in Europe wanted Ake for over £40m. We know that Lerma didn't move during a period where the club offloaded every other top earner or renegotiated their contract. We know he eventually went to Crystal Palace of all places which suggests that he's not a fussy bloke.

He absolutely did not stay out of loyalty. He stayed because nobody was willing to pay the money we wanted for him.

We are doing ok without him...I always thought he was marginally above average..but that's all.
A lot of hype.
He made a mad career move and could be paying the price with relegation next season.
Palace I think, are a club in Crisis, similar to Saints.

Tbf Jeff stayed when we got relegated....Ake didn't.
Not many players never get dropped for poor form....that speaks volumes as to his worth as a player ....a lot of his work goes noticed by fans but not by managers.
Unnoticed by some fans, totally noticed by many fans.

It is possible to rate and like people after they left… if every player we had worked as hard as Jeff life would be much better

For someone who demands sworn legal affidavits before they will consider anything to be true your double standards here are borderline hilarious.

If you think Lerma stayed at AFCB out of loyalty rather than there not being any suitable offers for him I've got a bridge to sell you. There's the Athletic article, the fact they offloaded everyone they could, the fact when he did go it was only a bang average side that wanted him even when there was no transfer fee to pay... but ok Neil, loyalty.

Last edited:
We know the best club in Europe wanted Ake for over £40m. We know that Lerma didn't move during a period where the club offloaded every other top earner or renegotiated their contract. We know he eventually went to Crystal Palace of all places which suggests that he's not a fussy bloke.

He absolutely did not stay out of loyalty. He stayed because nobody was willing to pay the money we wanted for him.
Why didn't we take up one of the supposed loan offers to get him off the wage bill?

Lerma is excellent at the first time cushioned pass. Rarely passed to the opposition. Reliable as a stopper. Huge energy.

I always loved watching him play.

Why didn't we take up one of the supposed loan offers to get him off the wage bill?

Because they probably were only offering a fraction of the £50k a week we were contracted to pay him and therefore he was worth more to us as a player rather than having to pay someone £25k per week to play elsewhere.

Question for you... If he stayed at AFCB out of loyalty why did he run his contract down and move sideways to the highest bidder?

I've nothing against the guy doing that btw but it's pretty clear that both AFCB and the player did what was best for them.

I've nothing against the guy doing that btw but it's pretty clear that both AFCB and the player did what was best for them.
Clearly we had touted him around in the summer following relegation, looking for takers.

I imagine that focused Jeff's mind somewhat. After that, of course he was going to focus on himself moving forwards. Maybe if we hadn't done that, he would have been more inclined to sign a new contract here but loyalty cuts both ways.

I think he did the right thing personally and as I suspected at the time, his leaving did not derail us in any way, so it's all good.

I will always remember him fondly and give him great credit for keeping his head down and performing for us right up until the very end of his contract, even though by then he probably knew that his future lay elsewhere.
A lot of players would have handled that situation differently, so for that and what he gave us in his time here I will always admire him.

Because they probably were only offering a fraction of the £50k a week we were contracted to pay him and therefore he was worth more to us as a player rather than having to pay someone £25k per week to play elsewhere.

Question for you... If he stayed at AFCB out of loyalty why did he run his contract down and move sideways to the highest bidder?

Probably?......if all we have is supposition then we can equally summise that he stayed because he wanted to...
We obviously couldn't offer him a new contract in the Championship and once we were back in the PL we didn't want to offer him what he could get elsewhere .......there was no falling out with the club....no social media cr@p ....no spittingthe dummy out.....I mean we all saw what happened with Zemura when he turned a contract down......the club said at the time that they were having conversations with Jeff's team all along.....they obviously just couldn't agree on a deal.

Probably?......if all we have is supposition then we can equally summise that he stayed because he wanted to...
We obviously couldn't offer him a new contract in the Championship and once we were back in the PL we didn't want to offer him what he could get elsewhere .......there was no falling out with the club....no social media cr@p ....no spittingthe dummy out.....I mean we all saw what happened with Zemura when he turned a contract down......the club said at the time that they were having conversations with Jeff's team all along.....they obviously just couldn't agree on a deal.

I don't disagree with a lot of that and he was certainly committed to the AFCB cause and fair play to him.

I think it is obvious that he would have left if he got an offer like Ake did and even more obvious that he/AFCB didn't get an offer like that. The Athletic said as much and I don't know why they would make that up.

We didn't pay Sunderland a fee for Defoe. £20 million if he had been under contract?
We allegedly gave Defoe £60,000 per week and a £6 millions signing on fee (spread over his contract). Every club does it if they can.

'I feel nothing for him'. 'Serves him right'... type comments. Hardly kind.

Well in my opinion that’s not negative or positive, it’s ambivalence. I also said that clapping him was the right thing to do, and that he was a good player. I never insulted him.

Not sure if this was ever posted, but one reason he left AFCB was because he wanted to stay in the Premier League.

He mentioned it was a hard decision to make.

With a number of clubs across Europe interested in the midfielder, the 29-year-old revealed that continuing in the English top-flight was one of the main reasons he took the opportunity to move to SE25.

“It was one of my motivations when I decided to leave Bournemouth,” said Lerma, speaking to Premier League Productions. “I enjoy football here and I’m pleased to play in the Premier League. I believe it’s the best league in the world.

“I discussed it with my family, with my wife, with my family in Colombia. I asked them what would be best for me, for my family and everyone, where they wanted to see me play.

“It was a hard decision to make, especially for my daughter – she loves Bournemouth and everything about it [and] didn’t want to leave,” he added. “I knew I was going to change my family’s life with my transfer.

“My wife wanted to stay in England for the kids’ future, due to language reasons. You can learn a different language somewhere else in the world but her priority was for our kids to be native speakers of the language.

;