Jermain Defoe

Well it wouldn't be a surprise that he would be interested in moving on to get game time. However, I'm not sure he would guaranteed the game time he likely craves at West Ham.

A long time ago now but wasn't his departure from there a little acrimonious? I wonder what their fans would think of him going back for one last payday.

Let the t##t go! If an ex England International ( not that it actually means much) can't impose himself on the scene after two seasons then his career at this level is basically bazookered . He is 36 yrs old so he might as well forget West Ham but stay in East London.. east to the Orient...Leyton Orient...help them get back up a few divs.
Trouble is he is still chasing the dollars....and Afcb, having no concept of the Value of such a trading medium..... are transferring craneloads of the stuff into Uncle Jermies Gaping Bankvault......come along Hyperinflation your welcome here! Loadsamoney!
This club is doing the Double....still on a Ride and being taken for one at the same time! Fading Stars...Sandbank your Sand here !
Nice little Retirement Club and Town....why should it change ?
Try the Ake thread..for more International break thrills!

Last edited:
Within hours of West Ham being relegated, he slapped in a transfer request. Their fans still haven’t forgiven him.

The postscript to this is that the request was turned down, initially, and young "Colin" had to have half a season in the Championship. From memory he got himself sent off three times before Christmas and was allowed his transfer in the January.

I'd be happy to see him go seeing as he's on about 3.5 mil per year. Can't see West Ham wanting him though, they've got 3-4 strikers better than him.

Let the t##t go! If an ex England International ( not that it actually means much) can't impose himself on the scene after two seasons then his career at this level is basically bazookered . He is 36 yrs old so he might as well forget West Ham but stay in East London.. east to the Orient...Leyton Orient...help them get back up a few divs.
Trouble is he is still chasing the dollars....and Afcb, having no concept of the Value of such a trading medium..... are transferring craneloads of the stuff into Uncle Jermies Gaping Bankvault......come along Hyperinflation your welcome here! Loadsamoney!
This club is doing the Double....still on a Ride and being taken for one at the same time! Fading Stars...Sandbank your Sand here !
Nice little Retirement Club and Town....why should it change ?
Try the Ake thread..for more International break thrills!
What an absolutely idiotic post. Well done.

When he left West Ham he was around 21-years-old, still learning his trade.

He had his 36th birthday a few days ago.

In his last season at Sunderland he scored 15 goals (2016-17).

Since joining us in league games Defoe has started in 11 (15) and scored 4. ( ) sub.

Now another player we had Glenn Murray who was 35 last month, in the league started 6 (13) and scored 3 in his season with us.

Since joining Brighton and now in the PL scored 13 goals in 2017-18.

So far this season Murray has scored 5 goals in 8 games.

Regular scorers for their other clubs, just haven’t/didn’t do it for us.

Our style of football?

So who knows if a fit Defoe went to another club he wouldn’t start scoring again as Murray has at Brighton.

What an absolutely idiotic post. Well done.

It is? That's as maybe.....but we signed him for goals! And now it's all about... What ?.... Just trying to extract deeper opinion.
I would be quite happy to assume a position of subservience to all the Mr Sensibles on the Forum if ..If ..I could see much sense coming forth from all the ' Accountants and Architects' etc. Just going round in circles. Might as well have some ' Alternative' stuff. Especially if most of it is 'linked' to the Training ground/Stadium fiasco!

Last edited:
I have always liked Defoe and I am sad it hasn’t worked out with us this time. Initially I found this story disappointing (may not be true of course).

But actually, I think he has down his best here, he seems to me to have helped the first team behind the scenes, he is trying for a media career (not sure that will work either but there are worse out there), and when I thought about it, staying at AFCB until he was 37 and collecting the salary would be the easier option. So whether true or not, it's ok with me if he goes, good luck to him.

Also would mean we would have to be confident enough to hold onto Wilson and King in the transfer window

If he does go somewhere, I think it would be more of an indication of belief in Mousset than anything else. Any player can pick up a niggle and be missing for a number of games which could throw him really into the mix.

Did we sign him for goals?? Really? I don't think so, which is pretty silly considering he's a striker, but we signed on the back of a season where our first choice striker was seriously injured at might not come back, yet Benik and Josh had got over 20 between them and looked a decent partnership. A 3 year contract for a 35 year old striker doesn't scream goals to me. I think he was signed for influence, experience and a stepping stone into coaching. That first choice striker is back and is showing the sort of form and instincts that got us into the Premier League in the first place. Is Defoe being paid too much? Probably, but is it still cheaper than if it had involved a transfer fee? Yes. If Callum's career had been over due to the injuries would we seeing more of Defoe? Yes, but we'd still have been in the hunt for another decent striker this summer just gone

If he wants to go for 'gametime' then I think he's delusional, but that's a good kind of delusional, all good strikers back themselves in any situation. In the cold light of day though he must realise that if he wants first team football then it won't happen at this level. If he harbours coaching/management aspirations (which he's said he does) then hopefully he's passing those skills on, not only to the first team players around him but to the up and coming kids, in which case we'll find out if we get our money's worth when we see how Surridge, Ndjoli, Scrimshaw, and Dobre work out

Reality is mousett and even brooks or Ibe are better options upfront or at no 10 than Defoe. Still has class (eg that goal at palace last season) but that little bit less pace affects his ability to score regularly. Still sounds as though doing a great job with the squad, bit like boruc.

Did we sign him for goals?? Really? I don't think so, which is pretty silly considering he's a striker, but we signed on the back of a season where our first choice striker was seriously injured at might not come back, yet Benik and Josh had got over 20 between them and looked a decent partnership. A 3 year contract for a 35 year old striker doesn't scream goals to me. I think he was signed for influence, experience and a stepping stone into coaching. That first choice striker is back and is showing the sort of form and instincts that got us into the Premier League in the first place. Is Defoe being paid too much? Probably, but is it still cheaper than if it had involved a transfer fee? Yes. If Callum's career had been over due to the injuries would we seeing more of Defoe? Yes, but we'd still have been in the hunt for another decent striker this summer just gone

If he wants to go for 'gametime' then I think he's delusional, but that's a good kind of delusional, all good strikers back themselves in any situation. In the cold light of day though he must realise that if he wants first team football then it won't happen at this level. If he harbours coaching/management aspirations (which he's said he does) then hopefully he's passing those skills on, not only to the first team players around him but to the up and coming kids, in which case we'll find out if we get our money's worth when we see how Surridge, Ndjoli, Scrimshaw, and Dobre work out

Fair comment regarding the positives, great for the longterm on Jermaine coaching the young strikers etc.
I have mentioned the coaching bonus that we could/ would get in previous posts last season.....but if he wants West Ham, they get all that!

Last edited:

;