Jermain Defoe

Didn’t we say the same about Murray .Not good enough for the PL .Seems to be good enough for Brighton and Defoe was good enough for Sunderland ...they just didn’t fit into the Bournemouth way . Nothing against the bloke but I would drive him to London if we could unload his wage bill .

Funny old game football and its fans.

One time we were asking if we could have JD down here and Harry R said I don’t see why not.

He came here and scored goal after goal and did fit into our system.

Now we have him here, it appears he doesn’t fit into our system and some want to see him go.

As I mentioned further up this thread, both Defoe and Murray have/had similar records playing for this club in recent seasons. Murray is only one year younger than Defoe. Defoe keeps himself very fit with his training and diet.

One leaves and has been the leading scorer for his club in the Championship and then the Premier League. Murray is one goal in front of our leading scorer this season.

Bet Brighton think they got a good deal when they signed Murray from us, his goals shot Brighton into the PL and the big money that goes with it.

Last edited:
Funny old game football and its fans.

One time we were asking if we could have JD down here and Harry R said I don’t see why not.

He came here and scored goal after goal and did fit into our system.

Now we have him here, it appears he doesn’t fit into our system and some want to see him go.

As I mentioned further up this thread, both Defoe and Murray have/had similar records playing for this club in recent seasons. Murray is only one year younger than Defoe. Defoe keeps himself very fit with his training and diet.

One leaves and has been the leading scorer for his club in the Championship and then the Premier League. Murray is one goal in front of our leading scorer this season.

Bet Brighton think they got a good deal when they signed Murray from us, his goals shot Brighton into the PL and the big money that goes with it.

But do you think we should be paying these wages for a bench warmer if we can offload him ? Or do you think he should be playing regularly and if so who do we drop ?

"When I was young, I didn't really understand transfer requests, I had never come across one before and my agent told me it was the right thing to do "

Except for the hearing at the FA in November 1999 when West Ham were ordered to pay £1.6 million for him.

Pants on fire, Colin.

But do you think we should be paying these wages for a bench warmer if we can offload him ? Or do you think he should be playing regularly and if so who do we drop ?

Stupid money paid for players and what they earn in football today. But the TV money has made this happen.

Funny, was listening to Kevin Keegan this morning on Sportsweek and he was asked about wages today and in his time.

When he was at Liverpool it seems the players were roughly all on the same wage except for the captain who got a bit more.

Kinda like ..all about me innit...naata mean innit...well ..me and Thierry Henry ...giggle giggle. Thierry ..Thierry an me...Innit bruv.. naata mean.
An like there is Shearers record like. n' Robbie Fowlers Prem goals like....naata mean giggle giggle! Bo'muff ? Oh yeh Bo'muff like.. that's where I'm at now innit? Bo'muff Innit? Was it...dunno.? like Finkso ! hey yo yeh yeh like! What was that ?..West Ham? oh West Ham yeh yeh yeh.......Yeah right....right erm.. Wuul I'm finkin.....that wuul..it's sorta like....where muh heart is..fing is though. .they got any readies?.any crispy ones ? naata mean ...Potsa the Ol Honey ..
Kinda like.
Note: not meant to be taken very seriously btw.

Last edited:
I'm assuming 2004 is your birth year? So we'll go easy on you

The papers make this up to sell copies and advertising. He speaks very well of his time here when on programmes like Goals on Sunday. I believe he wants to be a coach and is getting paid to do both here while working with the best young manager in England. He's enjoying advising and coaching our strikers and who knows, that might be a small reason for their success so far this year?
Fair point mate. I didn't take into consideration that he might be a player/coach. I know Eddie always says he plays a role off the pitch, I just thought he was talking about his motivational skills.

Our style of play this year has evolved and he is even less suitable for it than last year. We have also not needed a goal in most games due to our great start.

That’s why we have seen less of him. There is still no better person for finding space in a tight penalty area if we need a goal.

Druss’s brilliant post has everything else I wanted to say so no need to repeat...

When Defoe plays we continue to get crosses in from the wings that doesn’t work for Defoe, he wants the ball at his feet. I have no doubt he’s working wonders behind the scenes motivationally speaking.

If you look at the stats (https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_cross) we rank as one of the lowest teams in the league for putting crosses into the box. I suspect many of these were more pinpoint passes across the box (ie Wilson to King at Watford) rather than your standard hitting it in the box. I don't think Defoe can blame our style of play too much.

I was actually watching some of the PL greatest goals at the weekend on Sky. Some of Defoe's goals reminded me of King and Wilson now. Fast, powerful and direct, just with better finishing. Maybe he needs better players around him, but age might just be catching up with him...

Could do with freeing up some money for other players to come in

Agreed. It was a bad deal bringing him back to the club in the first place. Especially for a 34 year old with a reportedly 60k signing on fee and his reported 80k a week wages. He was originally brought in to cover for Callum Wilsons injury but should have been released a long time ago. Perhaps his contract should be renegotiated and offer him a coaching role at the club. A role that he would excel in I am sure.

Agreed. It was a bad deal bringing him back to the club in the first place. Especially for a 34 year old with a reportedly 60k signing on fee and his reported 80k a week wages. He was originally brought in to cover for Callum Wilsons injury but should have been released a long time ago. Perhaps his contract should be renegotiated and offer him a coaching role at the club. A role that he would excel in I am sure.

I think EH might view the success somewhat differently. The pressure & assistance that JD has put on our other forwards has propelled them and the club to our best ever start - priceless?

I think EH might view the success somewhat differently. The pressure & assistance that JD has put on our other forwards has propelled them and the club to our best ever start - priceless?

Correct and I would not argue with the fact that he hap helped our forwards. But this does not justify a 3 year contract, a reported 60k signing on fee and reported 80k a week wages. If he was required as a coach his current conract should be re-nogotiated to reflect this new role should itbe offered.

Correct and I would not argue with the fact that he hap helped our forwards. But this does not justify a 3 year contract, a reported 60k signing on fee and reported 80k a week wages. If he was required as a coach his current conract should be re-nogotiated to reflect this new role should itbe offered.

Lucky Eddie disagreed 18 months ago then, experience and knowledge is priceless he said.

;