Jermain Defoe

This just before the Palace game and Eddie’s comments. Also on another thread around that time. But it’s not only what he brings on the pitch but his experience off it as well.

“I remember moments when he has been on the bench and he has had a really positive word with the team.

“Yes, he may not be impacting as much on the pitch as he would like but he’s having a massive impact away from that.

“For us to be a successful team, we need everyone within the squad to be contributing in some way.”

Howe has long favoured an experienced voice in the dressing room – the likes of Sylvain Distin and Ian Harte having previously filled the role.

Asked if he considered a player’s off-field influence when recruiting, Howe said: “When you sign a player, you look at a whole host of things, not just the playing ability but the character.

“Our vision for Jermain was that he would have a huge impact on young players and the young strikers we have – that he would educate them in how to live their lives and how to approach the game.

“Of course, Jermain is still an outstanding player in his own right but you need those key attributes in your squad and he is a good older professional.”

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...impact-at-cherries-goes-beyond-field-of-play/

Last edited:
All i hear when looking at Bournemouth news is ''Defoe doesn't rule out another move back to MLS'' or ''Defoe want's to re-live time at West Ham'' and ''Defoe want's to play in the championship one day''... Why do we pay him 65k a week when all he and the media does is link him to every club on the planet!!!

I’m sure I’ve seen he’s been doing his coachiing badges , wasn’t the long term plan to get him on the coaching team ?

Seems not only was he learning his trade, he was also learning the hard way in what happens with transfer dealings.

The manner in which I left West Ham I would change. My agent, at the time, said I had to hand in a transfer request," Defoe, now 35, told the Transfer Talk podcast.

"When I was young, I didn't really understand transfer requests, I had never come across one before and my agent told me it was the right thing to do.

"I trusted my agent and I thought this must be the process - hand in a transfer request and when you do that, you would be the first out the door, that's what he said to me.

"The club had been relegated and obviously being ambitious, having scored goals in the Premier League and wanting to play for England, I knew I had to be playing in the Premier League.

"At the time, I looked at it and thought my agent must be right. He was saying all of those things to me, but even when he was saying these things to me I felt very uncomfortable.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...et-over-the-way-his-west-ham-exit-was-handled

No PL matches this weekend so column inches/website space to fill.

Step 1. Who hasn't been starting for their team lately?
Step 2. Which of those is a recognisable name to people?
Step 3. Who did they used to play for/support as a boy (delete as required)?
Step 4. Publish a made up story using steps 1-3 and you're now a modern day journalist. Congratulations!

I'm assuming 2004 is your birth year? So we'll go easy on you

The papers make this up to sell copies and advertising. He speaks very well of his time here when on programmes like Goals on Sunday. I believe he wants to be a coach and is getting paid to do both here while working with the best young manager in England. He's enjoying advising and coaching our strikers and who knows, that might be a small reason for their success so far this year?

The papers make this up to sell copies and advertising. He speaks very well of his time here when on programmes like Goals on Sunday. I believe he wants to be a coach and is getting paid to do both here while working with the best young manager in England. He's enjoying advising and coaching our strikers and who knows, that might be a small reason for their success so far this year?

Great post

Spot on. I'm sure JD would rather be playing.

I also think JD would benefit from playing with Brooks - I think he would put the ball in the right places for him.
Unfortunately Brooks seems to be coming off before JD gets on.

;