Jermain Defoe

Correct and I would not argue with the fact that he hap helped our forwards. But this does not justify a 3 year contract, a reported 60k signing on fee and reported 80k a week wages. If he was required as a coach his current conract should be re-nogotiated to reflect this new role should itbe offered.
It hasn't actually been that expensive a deal tbf....what has he cost us in wages? 2mill-3mill depending on who you believe....we'd get that back if he was sold in this window.

Lucky Eddie disagreed 18 months ago then, experience and knowledge is priceless he said.

But it's not priceless.

At 80 grand a week it's cost 4.3 million quid.

At the end of the day, the JD thing hasn't really worked out.

Maybe an official coaching job is the answer, it frees up a squad place.

If he is currently coaching the palyers as well as trying to get a place in the team himself, he's splitting his time between both.

But it's not priceless.

At 80 grand a week it's cost 4.3 million quid.

At the end of the day, the JD thing hasn't really worked out.

Correct. There are always people who will defend the undefendable. Defoe imv be offered a coaching role, a role that he will excel in and be for the benefit of this club.

Correct. There are always people who will defend the undefendable. Defoe imv be offered a coaching role, a role that he will excel in and be for the benefit of this club.

I’m not defending it, I’m open to him going to free some wages up, I’m saying Eddie has previously said having someone in the squad like Defoe is priceless, much like Distin and Harte and therefore just because he hasn’t been banging them in or playing off the field it may justify his place in squad with the experience and knowledge he offers. If you read the article it says he spent time with Lys before Chelsea game.

I’m not defending it, I’m open to him going to free some wages up, I’m saying Eddie has previously said having someone in the squad like Defoe is priceless, much like Distin and Harte and therefore just because he hasn’t been banging them in or playing off the field it may justify his place in squad with the experience and knowledge he offers. If you read the article it says he spent time with Lys before Chelsea game.

Again I agree. I believe his contract should be re-negotiated, cancel his playing contract and offer him a coaching role and therefore reducing his reported 80k a week wages.

One of the dangers of building a team with young players is that some of them can get too big for their boots and thinking that they have made it when they have had a bit of success.
That is much less likely to happen when you have the likes of a Harte, Distin or Defoe around the place.

Ok,if his signing on fee and wages have cost say,£6m ,where else could we have got a striker with that experience for that fee.?
To me he looked good at the start of last season,and I think would have scored regularly.
But after he broke his ankle at Chelsea in the cup,I think that did for him,because at his age,it's a big injury and may have taken that little bit of pace he still had.
I agree he needs moving on now,but only if we have a replacement in mind,as three strikers isn't really enough in this league in my opinion.

I think EH might view the success somewhat differently. The pressure & assistance that JD has put on our other forwards has propelled them and the club to our best ever start - priceless?
Why, we were doing alright before he got here? Waste of money that should have been used elsewhere

;