Jermain Defoe

Tinpot Club - 23/5/2017 13:53

Druss_the_Legend - 23/5/2017 13:35

abts - 23/5/2017 13:17

Afobe's goals per game record was better than Defoe's.

I think you need a new calculator mate :hmmm:

Afobe scores every 242 mins, Defoe every 222 mins.

I'm not sure how many pens Defoe took, but if there were a few in there it might mean Afobe's record was better in open play.

Not sure where your stats are from but this season playing for the bottom side Defoe scored once every 207 mins...Afobe... 242....

Oh hold on...I realise the mistake, you missed the goal he scored for England in those stats.

I like reading different views but am amazed anyone wouldn't want this to happen.

For a couple of million quid more than we paid for Jordan Ibe we get a guy who managed to score 30 goals in two seasons in a team that created no chances - judging by the record of the other Sunderland players. He is also a former legend of this fan-base, all round decent bloke if you look at the work he has done with that poor child Bradley and fits perfectly with our philosophy of quick thinking high speed footballers. And a current England international to boot.

John Terry - I agree - I wouldn't have him here as a fan let alone a player but he meets none of the above criteria Jermaine does.

Red_Kettle - 23/5/2017 13:56

Defoe's stats this season:

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/866966942472687616

Afobe's stats this season:

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/866969092414218240

Spending £20 million on a three year contract for a 34 year old who's similar in style, but significantly worse in output, to a player we already have seems really, really, dumb.

Would love to have seen Afobe's stats if he played for Sunderland.....

Signing a player who has scored 269 goals at the top level cannot be classed as really really dumb.

Neil Dawson - 23/5/2017 14:02

I like reading different views but am amazed anyone wouldn't want this to happen.

For a couple of million quid more than we paid for Jordan Ibe we get a guy who managed to score 30 goals in two seasons in a team that created no chances - judging by the record of the other Sunderland players. He is also a former legend of this fan-base, all round decent bloke if you look at the work he has done with that poor child Bradley and fits perfectly with our philosophy of quick thinking high speed footballers. And a current England international to boot.

That little boy is going to be devastated. I hope we as a club can do all we can to help Defoe continue that relationship with him as it is clear he means the world to him.

Spending £20 million on a three year contract for a 34 year old who's similar in style, but significantly worse in output, to a player we already have seems really, really, dumb.

Wait what? "similar in style"?!

hahahahahaha *breath* hahahahahahaha....

He's a known quantity (and quality). Clean living and v professional, just the sort of pro Eddie likes. His previous spell with us will mean an instant rapport with the fans. Proven goalscorer, and someone who should be a good mentor and role model. Gets my vote.

Druss_the_Legend - 23/5/2017 14:00

Tinpot Club - 23/5/2017 13:53

Druss_the_Legend - 23/5/2017 13:35

abts - 23/5/2017 13:17

Afobe's goals per game record was better than Defoe's.

I think you need a new calculator mate :hmmm:

Afobe scores every 242 mins, Defoe every 222 mins.

I'm not sure how many pens Defoe took, but if there were a few in there it might mean Afobe's record was better in open play.

Not sure where your stats are from but this season playing for the bottom side Defoe scored once every 207 mins...Afobe... 242....

Oh hold on...I realise the mistake, you missed the goal he scored for England in those stats.

Excluding penalties Defoe scored one goal every 332 minutes.

That's one goal every 3.6 games. And he's nearly 35. And we're going to destroy our wage structure to sign him.

It's madness.

The Alchemist - 23/5/2017 14:02

Defoe's stats this season:

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/866966942472687616

Afobe's stats this season:

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/866969092414218240

Would love to have seen Afobe's stats if he played for Sunderland.....

Signing a player who has scored 269 goals at the top level cannot be classed as really really dumb.

It's true that it's not an entirely fair comparison because Defoe has been playing in a genuinely bad side. But the fact is that this season Defoe has been average, at best, in a bad side. Nothing at all in his performances this season suggest he's worth anything like the sort of money that's being talked about.

Smart stats people, like Ted Knutson who was in charge of recruitment at Brentford when they brought in players such Andre Gray for peanuts and made huge profits on them, think this is a spectacularly bad signing. An even worse signing than Ibe, which they also called as being terrible at the time.

Obviously I hope they're wrong and he turns out to be a great success but I don't think it's very likely.

Druss_the_Legend - 23/5/2017 14:07

Look at the links I posted. Or just rewatch our game at Sunderland. Given that Defoe is no longer very quick and has had to adapt his game accordingly, he now plays a somewhat similar role to Afobe. He's actually very effective, like Afobe, at dropping deep, receiving the ball under pressure and recycling possession.

Jermain's experience will be invaluable for us and he could just score that vital goal that maybe another of our strikers might miss.

He was popular last time he was here and will fit into our team and philosophy like a glove.

Stats, stats, stats - you can mould stats to suit any point of view.

The only real stat that matters is that Defoe scored 15 goals in the worst side in the league by a distance - I'd love some of our players to be that average.

Ted Knutson may think it is a bad deal but 99% of people, pundits and those involved in football that I jhave seen think it is a fantastic signing.

Do we believe the 1% or the 99% ?

My feeling is that the actual wage he will join on will be significantly lower than those being quoted. Just can't see the leverage he has in asking for a six figure salary alongside a multi million signing on fee when he's on £70k a week now...

Hold on a minute....I agree the stats suggest he's not quite as prolific compared to our other strikers as what might be perceived

However, saying Defoe has been "average at best" is ridiculous. King has scored 16 goals for a side that creates loads of chances, Defoe has got 15 in one of the worst PL sides in history.

There is no doubt he would enhance the squad. My only question is if he would enhance it enough given the costs involved when the budget could possibly used in other areas?

I, for once, completely agree with Mr Dawson.
Eddie doesn't, generally, like to make snap decisions, if he's convinced it's worth a go, I'll believe him. I couldn't see the point of bringing Supa back but being in the ground on his return debut, it was obvious what Eddie wanted to achieve. Eddie has a broad vision of what he wants to do here, he moves in mysterious ways, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me : )

£20 million over three years is an insane amount to pay for experience and the suggestion that he has some kind of mystical 'poacher's instinct' isn't really supported by his performances - he's missed plenty of big chances for Sunderland this season.

Red_Kettle - 23/5/2017 14:22

Druss_the_Legend - 23/5/2017 14:07

Look at the links I posted. Or just rewatch our game at Sunderland. Given that Defoe is no longer very quick and has had to adapt his game accordingly, he now plays a somewhat similar role to Afobe. He's actually very effective, like Afobe, at dropping deep, receiving the ball under pressure and recycling possession.

He was never that fast? His game was never about his pace....either this year or when he started for us so he has had to no adapting. The guy is a finisher...from anywhere. In or out of the box. Its about timing, knowledge and above all else instinct.

Forget stupid stats and graphs....do you REALLY think hes the same but worse than Afobe?! Truely?! Event remotely the same?

table - 23/5/2017 14:28

Eddie doesn't, generally, like to make snap decisions, if he's convinced it's worth a go, I'll believe him. I couldn't see the point of bringing Supa back but being in the ground on his return debut, it was obvious what Eddie wanted to achieve. Eddie has a broad vision of what he wants to do here, he moves in mysterious ways, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me : )

Actually, that was a successful partnership....he still has his boots...

table - 23/5/2017 14:28

Thought it was a mistake at the time to let the Big Man go. He did have his injury problems and some people thought it was the right decision at the time. He went away to Chesterfield and Crawley and came back to DC looking thinner and fitter than before.

That first game back against league leaders Wycombe their defenders just couldn't control him and it was a very good move by Eddie to bring him back where he belonged.

;