Joe Rothwell

Good move for them and for him.

He’s a classy player who is easily good enough to play at this level in the right set up, as he displayed last season. He just doesn’t fit our current style of play at all, not got enough of an engine to play in our midfield.

I don’t understand strengthening Southampton at all. If we want to get his wages off the books there would be other takers.

Our strategic interest is to be the areas only Premier League catchment club. We missed the chance to relegate them a few years back and cast them into the wilderness when they had a poor squad. Last year they had an ok squad just poor management choices. They’ve got an excellent manager now and stand a great chance of coming up. We should not be aiding that. Disappointed with this move which to me lacks strategic thought.

I don’t understand strengthening Southampton at all. If we want to get his wages off the books there would be other takers.

Our strategic interest is to be the areas only Premier League catchment club. We missed the chance to relegate them a few years back and cast them into the wilderness when they had a poor squad. Last year they had an ok squad just poor management choices. They’ve got an excellent manager now and stand a great chance of coming up. We should not be aiding that. Disappointed with this move which to me lacks strategic thought.

See your point, but my layman's gut feeling and thought is its a marginal difference, in reality. As long as we don't get relegated... which I firmly believe we won't... for a long time. Unless something happens with current owner.

youngsters from this area won't choose Southampton anymore... unless dad supports them.

Perhaps Ringwood/new forest is a 'swing' area. But nothing to get too upset over. I assume they've historically choosen Southampton, as hants... and no doubt pl football. Even if in Champ, Southampton still bigger stature... abd I assume kids always leant to them from those areas... could be wrong.

I guess other possibility is ticketing. Perhaps some will start going to St Mary's abd form bond, as getting tickets at Dean Court is nigh on impossible... or very very difficult? And even new stadium may prove tough, if 18k as reported?

I fully get this sentiment, but perhaps being able to stay in the area was an important factor for Joe and his family.

Yeah could be this mate.

It's more important to get a fringe player off the books, to free up wage to strengthen squad, than refusing to do a deal with a club we don't want to see go up... or Rothwell coukd reject deals from further away... as you've mentioned. End up not being able to sign better players as a resukt.

See moore/Millwall and daka saga.

As an added bonus, it gives us a chance to say we helped them out ;)

See your point, but my layman's gut feeling and thought is its a marginal difference, in reality. As long as we don't get relegated... which I firmly believe we won't... for a long time. Unless something happens with current owner.

youngsters from this area won't choose Southampton anymore... unless dad supports them.

Perhaps Ringwood/new forest is a 'swing' area. But nothing to get too upset over. I assume they've historically choosen Southampton, as hants... and no doubt pl football. Even if in Champ, Southampton still bigger stature... abd I assume kids always leant to them from those areas... could be wrong.

I guess other possibility is ticketing. Perhaps some will start going to St Mary's abd form bond, as getting tickets at Dean Court is nigh on impossible... or very very difficult? And even new stadium may prove tough, if 18k as reported?
From what I can gather the Ringwood/New Forest area definitely has plenty of swingers about …

I believe London has proven you can have more than one club close to one another and both have full houses each week.

;